Trading Courtesy

Go JayBee

...I too sent delivery confirmation $.18 isn't too much to give me a piece of mind for my US trades.

How do you get delivery confirmation for $0.18 for trades? When I talked to the PO, they wanted around $0.80 and had some thickness requirements also. I've seen the Paypal labels with delivery confirmation for coins that I've purchased, but I didn't find a way in Paypal to start a label without having purchased something.

I use paypal multi-order shipping services and selecting create a label (not importing a label) and it is offered for .18. I usually go through create a label and you can uncheck the service I think, if you don't want it. It isn't signature confirmation just a delivery confirmation.

Just tried it - thanks for the tip. I think I will use this for future trades for the tracking capability in case coins get stuck somewhere. Though I do also know the PO does not always log the intermediate stops.

That has just recently happened to me also, I have not been sure how to handle it either. I always use delivery confirmation on US trades so I know they got the coin I sent, they did report receiving it as well. They tell me that they sent the coin to me but its been a month or better and not a thing has turned up here. I find it really strange that all my bills always make it to me, payments I send make it to the bill collectors just fine...but a geocoin disappears??? :blink:

Yes geocoins DO disappear. I know the person you are speaking of and they have an excellent reputation here. If they said they sent it then it was sent. The post office has been known to lose mail especially I think those packages that aren't machineable. There are many stories here of coins being delivered to the wrong house too. I'm sure you can work out a satisfactory solution to your problem as you are still in touch with each other. The earlier post said the other cacher is no longer answering emails so that is a slightly different problem.

I've had to think about this for awhile. I am left with one question-

What is your responsibility in a trade when the coin up and disappears??

LadyB4T if you do indeed know the particulars of the trade I am referring to (I'm not sure how you would, I have never pointed fingers or named names) I'm glad to know that they have an excellent reputation as traders but does that make it alright that the other party never receives anything??

I have been turned away to trading since this trade went bad (its been over 2 months). I guess I would just like to know what ya'll think...you send your end and thats that, no worrys, no responsibility?? Do you just chalk it up to postal errors and don't give it another thought or should you make sure the other trader does indeed receive something??

.....inquiring minds..... :o

In this particular case the other end has tried to make things right and has gone out of their way to try to get you a replacement. They have been in contact with you and have told you this all along. They HAVE given it a LOT of thought. Its not the other party's fault that you didn't receive it--its the postal service. But they had planned to fix it. Who will be on the losing end of this deal? I would say the other trader will be......

There is a group of people who test the postal system by sending "unmachineable" packages, including a hammer, by itself, with a mailing tag hanging off of it, and a bowling ball with a label stuck to it.

Most things DO get through in the mail, even if it takes a while. Last time i read, one of their items took 6 months to arrive at it's destination, but it did, indeed, arrive. :D

The post office has been known to lose mail especially I think those packages that aren't machineable.

I think that all coin traders should buy postal or shipping insurance on their coins they are sending. That way, if the package never arrives, at least the person who wanted it can have the insurance money if the post office messes up and looses the thing.

Of course, this particular trade is already beyond that point, but it would be helpful in the future... :D

LadyB4T if you do indeed know the particulars of the trade I am referring to (I'm not sure how you would, I have never pointed fingers or named names) I'm glad to know that they have an excellent reputation as traders but does that make it alright that the other party never receives anything??

I have been turned away to trading since this trade went bad (its been over 2 months). I guess I would just like to know what ya'll think...you send your end and thats that, no worrys, no responsibility?? Do you just chalk it up to postal errors and don't give it another thought or should you make sure the other trader does indeed receive something??

.....inquiring minds..... :D

I think that all coin traders should buy postal or shipping insurance on their coins they are sending. That way, if the package never arrives, at least the person who wanted it can have the insurance money if the post office messes up and looses the thing.

Of course, this particular trade is already beyond that point, but it would be helpful in the future... :D

.....inquiring minds..... :D

I think that the incidence of lost coins is so low, it is a waste of time and money to insure every single package. When I send out 100 packages, and one gets lost, it would cost less to replace the one package than to insure every single one of them.

I have had several e-mail crashes in the last few weeks.

I am gradually finding old e-mails that I haven't responded to.

I apologize profusely to the people to whom I have not sent responses (other than TMA, no apologies to Pete :D )

Anyway, if anybody e-mailed me for trades etc and I haven't answered,

please please please, e-mail me again and remind me that I owe you a response.

just a gentle reminder to Please respond to trade requests.....to say"ok, lets trade" or "h...No"....we recently sent a trade request in an e-mail, but received no response...when I saw that same person posting later, I sent a Trackable PM...it was read a little while later....still no reply....at least have the common courtsey to answer 1 way or the other...Thanks for letting me vent............lol

this is one of the worst things i think a coiner can do - i mean in the world of geocoins. when a trader has coins on their seeking list and i write seeking a trade with NO answer, well, i just don't get it. it is really quite discouraging.

perhaps we should have a list of rude people who don't answer emails.

just kidding folks!

rsg

hope this is the correct place to post this question...I traded with a younger gentleman at this year's MWGB...all coins were unactivated, or so I thought. Ends up 2 of the other person's coins were already activated...I sent an e-mail asking if the coins had been stolen

(I received your Appalachian Trail Final Geocoin

in a trade at the MWGB and discovered it's activated...did we trade or was the coin stolen?,)

followed by no reply, sent a more direct e-mail
I traded your son for another coin...the MWGB 2008

parrot #PC***...seems he was a busy little guy. please let me know by end of day tomorrow if you want to return my coins, adopt the coins over to me, or send unactivated coins, and please have a chat with your son. A formal complaint will be sent to Groundspeak if I have not heard from you by that time (first message was sent to you wekks ago.)

and received the following reply:

Dear DrNeal,

I have been away from my Geocaching activities and just got to your e-mail. I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding in the trade my son made with you. We are new to the trading of coins and have had no issues trading activated coins in the past. The coins are activated and he stated as such during the trade. You stated it was a fair trade at the time. We would be happy to change the ownership of the two coins if that can be done. We are not sure how to do this. The coins had a slip in the coin sleeve with whatever information we had when we purchased or traded for them.

You have two nice coins from the trade for your collection, The MWGB 08 Cheesehead Parrot (PC***) and The Applachian Trail Final (AT****) from our collection. My 11 year old son also is pleased with the coins he received. He gifted the one coin to us for an anniversary present. I am a bit disappointed in your approach to the trade and hope this can be resolved with you having the tracking numbers and the card that was in the coin sleeve with its information.

You are happy to log or grab the coins as being in your possession. At the MWGB you stated all of your coins are activated so this could be another workable solution if we can not change ownership for some reason. If you take ownership of the coins we would like to discover them as we plan on discovering many other coins in your collection.

There should be a workable solution to resolving this issue.

I emailed directions from the geocoin forum page on how to adopt coins over to someone, again with no reply.

I don't trade for activated coins that will not be adopted over to me (doesn't really make sense to me, but then again, I've not been in the greatest of moods the last couple of weeks.) I have no problem with an 11 year old not knowing any better, but find his parent's attitude sad and offensive. What is the proper ettiquate for this concern.

Drneal, that sucks. Trading with folks who have no business trading is frustrating to say the least.

1. Do the coins you took in trade actually belong to the folks who gave them to you? Have you run the tracking numbers and see if the coins were travelers or event discoverables only?

2. If they do indeed belong to the father/son team you can ask them to initiate adoption to you so you can assume ownership of the activated coins. Explain to them that logging a grab is not the same as being the owner of record. www.geocaching.com/adopt should get you to the adoption page and if they follow the instructions they'll be able to clear this business up.

Edited by Droo

I had this happen to me a few years ago when I was traded some coins that were activated but wasn't told that fact. Actually the young man who traded with me didn't know which in his collection were activated and which weren't. Like you I was rather ticked off. I also ended up contacting the father and unlike you I got a very nice reply and everything worked out in the end.

Some people may take offense when in the first email snip you quoted where you asked if the coins were stolen thinking maybe you were accusing them. However, to give some background, at the 2008 MWGB some woman took coins from the TB building and traded those travelers to others for their unactivated coins. Many people were taken by this person.

Like Droo I would like to know if the coins in your hand actually belong to the father /son team. If not explain to them that those coins weren't their coins to trade and I would definitely ask for your coins back. Let them know that you aren't a bit disappointed but a LOT disappointed as you don't trade for activated coins. The coins in your collection are activated for discovery and I bet they don't know the difference.

It also sounds like they have no idea of the concept of adoption.

I think a very polite response is appropiate here but in the end you may be on the losing end if they refuse to adopt or return your coins. Unfortunately Groundspeak doesn't have anything to do with the trading aspect of the coins so they won't do anything.

Edited by LadyBee4T

The coin belongs to the father\son team (I checked the tracking numbers when after trying to activate the coins I first discovered they had already been activated.) The owners of the coins were contacted at that time, to find out if they had traded the coin to me, or if their coin had been stolen. I didn't pay much attention to their profile page at that point, but after not getting a response from them, I went back into their profile page, and saw the family picture, including the son.

I e-mailed directions on how to adopt a coin over to someone, again without reply. 2 coins are not going to make a difference to me. I am concerned about what appears to be an ongoing abuse by this family...

We are new to the trading of coins and have had no issues trading activated coins in the past.

I guess my question remains what is the proper ettiquate(sp?) for this concern. Do I mention names to help other traders be aware of their coin trading practices, do I post the coins? How sad that this is the lesson they teach their son.

People have been called out before on the forums to mixed reactions. I believe the mods frown on it as it's just an exercise in flaming someone, deservedly or not, for some poor judgement off the forums.

Out of curiosity what are the coins you traded? Do you have reference number?

The coin belongs to the father\son team (I checked the tracking numbers when after trying to activate the coins I first discovered they had already been activated.) The owners of the coins were contacted at that time, to find out if they had traded the coin to me, or if their coin had been stolen. I didn't pay much attention to their profile page at that point, but after not getting a response from them, I went back into their profile page, and saw the family picture, including the son.

I e-mailed directions on how to adopt a coin over to someone, again without reply. 2 coins are not going to make a difference to me. I am concerned about what appears to be an ongoing abuse by this family...

We are new to the trading of coins and have had no issues trading activated coins in the past.

I guess my question remains what is the proper ettiquate(sp?) for this concern. Do I mention names to help other traders be aware of their coin trading practices, do I post the coins? How sad that this is the lesson they teach their son.

Many of us are aware of that trader... I just ask him before we trade and get him to make assurances. Once we are crystal clear that I don't want it if it's activated and will trade it back, the trades work out fine. I think it's really a case of people activating their coins then not knowing which ones were activated. That has happened to me recently.

for me, things are crazy and disorginized

ive been having email issues so i hope im not the person not returning emails, this was due to switching phones because we swiched to a wi-fi network from not getting cell service at home so one of my emails is totaly disbanded, and no longer exists, also

i found out my spam folder was dumping all my emails as soon as they came in due to being on the wrong setting, all the above is fixed now. :)

i have only missed one person in a trade and after i was sent a message i sent out the oued coin and an extra to make up for my mistake,, so if i missed anyone or oue someone a coin please e-mail or pm me as i am very forgetful. my memory sucks and i use a folder system but think i will try a spread sheet due to missing that one trade, my portals just arrived and am totally lost on IF i set up any trades for them ,, so if i did please send me a message , and i apoligize for being so disorginized.

i am very bad about letting ones know i got their coins and will need to work on that but i also allway post ALL my coins i get to the mailbox thread so i have a resource to refer back to for what i got when ...

again i have no bad intentions in trades and am usually very good about sending out coins, ive been late on a few but who hasent?? were not all perfect and life tends to step on our coining toes alot. so i hope im not the one you speak of not returning emails,, if i am please send me a pm.

other then that ive been super busy as me and cass had our 5 year ann. on the 14th and my moms and daughters b-days were on the 30th , and i have a army friend in town from fort drum new york for his last visit before he goes out for deployment overseas to fight the war. also my bday is in 2 days,, work has been super busy as i just came off a 2 week on call during the eaves while working my 40 during the days.

so again i must say im a bit of a mess and have totally wrecked my email for my portal trades i prev. set up so if ive set up something with you please shoot me, :blink: , or shoot an e-mail or pm. so i can mail out the coins i set up with peps. and sorry ahead of time for me being a total coin wreck this last month and loosing my head. :)

i hope i havent missed anyone or anything here and hope to hear from you about a portal trade as i have them in hand as we speak!!! :mad: all offers welcome!!! ;)

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

ive been having email issues so i hope im not the person not returning emails, this was due to switching phones because we swiched to a wi-fi network from not getting cell service at home so one of my emails is totaly disbanded, and no longer exists, also

i found out my spam folder was dumping all my emails as soon as they came in due to being on the wrong setting, all the above is fixed now. :mad:

i have only missed one person in a trade and after i was sent a message i sent out the oued coin and an extra to make up for my mistake,, so if i missed anyone or oue someone a coin please e-mail or pm me as i am very forgetful. my memory sucks and i use a folder system but think i will try a spread sheet due to missing that one trade, my portals just arrived and am totally lost on IF i set up any trades for them ,, so if i did please send me a message , and i apoligize for being so disorginized.

i am very bad about letting ones know i got their coins and will need to work on that but i also allway post ALL my coins i get to the mailbox thread so i have a resource to refer back to for what i got when ...

again i have no bad intentions in trades and am usually very good about sending out coins, ive been late on a few but who hasent?? were not all perfect and life tends to step on our coining toes alot. so i hope im not the one you speak of not returning emails,, if i am please send me a pm.

other then that ive been super busy as me and cass had our 5 year ann. on the 14th and my moms and daughters b-days were on the 30th , and i have a army friend in town from fort drum new york for his last visit before he goes out for deployment overseas to fight the war. also my bday is in 2 days,, work has been super busy as i just came off a 2 week on call during the eaves while working my 40 during the days.

so again i must say im a bit of a mess and have totally wrecked my email for my portal trades i prev. set up so if ive set up something with you please shoot me, :blink: , or shoot an e-mail or pm. so i can mail out the coins i set up with peps. and sorry ahead of time for me being a total coin wreck this last month and loosing my head. :)

i hope i havent missed anyone or anything here and hope to hear from you about a portal trade as i have them in hand as we speak!!! ;) all offers welcome!!! :blink:

I still have that compass rose...we didn't finalize the trade maybe due to the email issues.... :)

i found out my spam folder was dumping all my emails as soon as they came in due to being on the wrong setting, all the above is fixed now. :)

so again i must say im a bit of a mess and have totally wrecked my email for my portal trades i prev. set up so if ive set up something with you please shoot me, :rolleyes: , or shoot an e-mail or pm. so i can mail out the coins i set up with peps. and sorry ahead of time for me being a total coin wreck this last month and loosing my head. :ph34r:

i hope i havent missed anyone or anything here and hope to hear from you about a portal trade as i have them in hand as we speak!!! :) all offers welcome!!! :D

I still have that compass rose...we didn't finalize the trade maybe due to the email issues.... :)

Ahhh yes I was wondering what happened. I was waiting for your return email. I figured you got busy trading your personalsn and or were not intrested. Ill shoot ya a pm and an email so that way we have it covered on both ends. I just never got a return mail from youn who knows what happened.

I haven't made any trades yet, but might like to do so in the future. Some trading etiquette ?'s:

1. Are you expected/would you expect the other person to show evidence that (you/they) have the promised coin in (your/their) possession, or do the traders simply take each other's word for it? If the former, what would that evidence consist of?

2. Who mails their coin first, the initiator or the acceptor? Or do both mail them at the same time, so they cross in the mail?

I hope I don't seem wound too tightly over this, but it occurred to me that I wouldn't necessarily know anything about the other person, & vice-versa, so I'm wondering if trades are based on trust? Should I expect scrutiny as a first-time trader? Coins get stolen from caches--do they get stolen in sham trade offers, too?

I haven't made any trades yet, but might like to do so in the future. Some trading etiquette ?'s:

1. Are you expected/would you expect the other person to show evidence that (you/they) have the promised coin in (your/their) possession, or do the traders simply take each other's word for it? If the former, what would that evidence consist of?

2. Who mails their coin first, the initiator or the acceptor? Or do both mail them at the same time, so they cross in the mail?

I hope I don't seem wound too tightly over this, but it occurred to me that I wouldn't necessarily know anything about the other person, & vice-versa, so I'm wondering if trades are based on trust? Should I expect scrutiny as a first-time trader? Coins get stolen from caches--do they get stolen in sham trade offers, too?

I have been doing some trading, not lately though, but it's all based on trust.

I have never asked for evidence that the coin is in possession and have never been asked for the same.

Usually both send the coins at the same time. Remember that coins easily escapes an envelope during shipping so just don't put a coin in a paper envelope and ship it like that...

A confirmation that the coin(s) are recieved are much appreciated.

I don't think you should worry just because you are a first time trader...

Good luck with your trading!

As a first timer you may also want to get more familiar with folks who are regulars on the forums and/or who have accounts with the trading sites.... not that THAT makes them trustworthy but it indicates an effort to present themselves actively in this activity. Also when emailing about a trade you can get a feel for the person from their responses and their willingness to work with you to make a trade.

Things to keep in mind when shipping coins.....

The thicker the better - delivery confirmation is available on parcels that are 3/4" or more thick so a few packing peanuts in bubble mailer can convince the postal rep at the window.

Avoid using packing tape on the coin sleeves.... the gooey mess that leaves behind is impossible to remove without paint thinner or gasoline. Fold the coin into a sheet of paper and tape THAT.... the bulk also adds to the thickness but not to the weight.

When in doubt go with the slightly more expensive shipping option as a ($0.32 or more) COD charge is harder to swallow at the receiving end than the sending end.

Enjoy and happy trading.

In looking for trackables to buy on ebay I've seen many listed for sale that have already been activated. what so people find a coin in a cache and sell it for profit on ebay instead of moving it? They must be Ferengi

No offense but why does everyone always think that if a coin is being sold or traded when its listed as activated that the coin was stolen from a cache. I have been purchasing and selling geocoins (in both activated status and not) on eBay plus other websites and I have only run across 2 out of hundreds that were "stolen" from caches. Most geocachers and geocoin collectors are honorable people and would not stoop to such things. That said there are quite a bit of missing coins out there which I attribute to some bad apples, newbies who don't know whats swag and whats not, and people too lazy to log them accurately.

In looking for trackables to buy on ebay I've seen many listed for sale that have already been activated. what so people find a coin in a cache and sell it for profit on ebay instead of moving it? They must be Ferengi

No offense but why does everyone always think that if a coin is being sold or traded when its listed as activated that the coin was stolen from a cache. I have been purchasing and selling geocoins (in both activated status and not) on eBay plus other websites and I have only run across 2 out of hundreds that were "stolen" from caches. Most geocachers and geocoin collectors are honorable people and would not stoop to such things. That said there are quite a bit of missing coins out there which I attribute to some bad apples, newbies who don't know whats swag and whats not, and people too lazy to log them accurately.

i've also purchased a couple (100's) of activated coins from other geocachers and on e-bay...never, repeat never recieved a stolen coin.

ILYK