Trading Courtesy

Go JayBee

I tried to bring this subject to light weeks ago....and it got shoved under the carpet faster than a dead mouse.

Can we please be more courteous to our traders? I have quite a few ongoing trades right now where the recipient of my coin has not let me know that they have actually received mine. I realize that many trades are based on future orders for Personal Coins...but it would be nice if those who are arranging trades for coins which they do not even have in their possession, would at least let you know that have your coin and are certainly planning on sending theirs as soon as they arrive.

And, if for some reason there are delays, let those folks know what is happening, and that you have not forgotten about them.

I really think that this subject should be pinned in the multi-pinned subject "Newcomers Guide to Collecting..."

Eartha...TIA if you would do that

I will now step off of my Coin Box.......

Very good idea.

I know that going through 100's of e-mails and trade lists can be time consuming.

But you took on that resposibility and should honor your actions by keeping up with each sell or trade.

It is frustrating going back a 6-8 weeks to find something you ordered or traded and can not find it.

I am thankful that others here have the courtesy to point you to where you need to go.

I know this is all new and we need to keep a structred way of dealing,helping and trading with each other.

Thanks for your post.

I know that going through 100's of e-mails and trade lists can be time consuming.

But you took on that resposibility and should honor your actions by keeping up with each sell or trade.

Yes, I have had the same problem - I've been on both sides of the fence.

I now use a MS Access database ( quit laughing ) and have some good tables/forms to keep track of my coins and trades. It should help.

Edited by nicolo

I now use a MS Access database ( quit laughing ) and have some good tables/forms to keep track of my coins and trades. It should help.

I just use a very simple Excel sheet that has columns to check off for "date sent"..."date received"...."email sent", etc. Of course, the "key" is to not procrastinate....it only takes a minute or so to shoot off a quick: "Thanks, I got your Coin...yours will be sent in a couple of days".

I didn't laugh very hard....

I also use an Excel spreadsheet. It's easy, and I don't need a degree in mysticism.

I just use a very simple Excel sheet that has columns to check off for "date sent"..."date received"...."email sent", etc. Of course, the "key" is to not procrastinate....it only takes a minute or so to shoot off a quick: "Thanks, I got your Coin...yours will be sent in a couple of days".

Totally support ya on this, JayBee, and I too use an Excel table to keep track of status of both incoming and outgoing trades.

And to your point, I sent updates to several trade partners just a few days ago to let them know I hadn't forgotten their trades but didn't have the coins in hand yet (and when they were expected). Happily, some of those were rectified yesterday by the arrival of the Alabama coins!

Most of my traders have been very good about letting me know when they receive my trades, so overall I think folks are being pretty considerate.

I use an excel spreadsheet as well but what works well for me is an email file marked Pending Trades.When I arrange a trade and it includes the address of the person I am trading with it goes in that file when I send my coin.When I receive the other coin I simply reply to that email as a coutesy and move it into a Completed file.It has worked well so far.I also color code my spreadsheet so I can see easily who I am waiting for.

I use an excel spreadsheet as well but what works well for me is an email file marked Pending Trades.When I arrange a trade and it includes the address of the person I am trading with it goes in that file when I send my coin.When I receive the other coin I simply reply to that email as a coutesy and move it into a Completed file.It has worked well so far.I also color code my spreadsheet so I can see easily who I am waiting for.

I do all of that as well! Dang, we're organized. Let's do a trade! :rolleyes:

I do all of that as well! Dang, we're organized. Let's do a trade! :rolleyes:

I also created a folder for trades, but I had so many going I still got confused (that is easy for me). What I started doing is flagging all emails with trade addresses. Trades for my personal coins I flag red and all other trades I flag blue. That way they automatically show up in my follow up folder. Where I usually fail is that I forget to email people when I receive their coins. That is rude of me and I am trying to improve on that.

I don't use a spreadsheet, but there is a method to my madness and so far I have not forgotten anyone or screwed up anything. So it works. Usually if someone doesn't let me know they got a coin from me, I check in with them to see if it arrived. I keep all my receipts and know who I mailed what to within + or - 2 days. However, the sheer volume of trades nowadays is making me rethink using either excel or access. At the very least I could begin keeping addresses for all the people I end up trading with over and over again :D

I just use a TextEdit file right now, with a format:

[cacher]

trade [quantity] [coin] from me for [quantity] [coin] to me

I use colors to indicate status. I'm doing a personal coin so for my 10-15 trades thusfar it's been fine, but when the coins are ready I'll need something better.

:D

I am want to thank Go JayBee for starting this thread!!

We just in the last day or so set up our 1st trades. I can see how it can become overwhelming. I need to set up some kind of excel or access (i have it but never have used it) system to track what is going on. If any one want to share their forms with me it would be much appreciated.

I can not even remeber what coins I have incoming right now, I need a system!! ^_^:D

I thank everyone for their good ideas that I will steal....

I would ask all traders to be clear when they respond to an email.

I may sent a trade request via their profile page, but get a response that doesn't reference my mail or their user ID, just a "Sure, lets trade. Signed John Smith".

Some traders use multiple email accounts to reply as well, leaving me wondering who I am talking to.

I try to keep all the previous email attached to the reply so I know what/who I am talking about....

I agree that this should be a part of our Newcomer's Guide, and so I will add the link to it for you. :D

A little common courtesy can go a long way. It does take a little extra time and effort to shoot off an email to the trader, but it's part of the hobby.

Edited by Eartha
I would ask all traders to be clear when they respond to an email.

I may sent a trade request via their profile page, but get a response that doesn't reference my mail or their user ID, just a "Sure, lets trade. Signed John Smith".

Some traders use multiple email accounts to reply as well, leaving me wondering who I am talking to.

I try to keep all the previous email attached to the reply so I know what/who I am talking about....

I guess this is a good time to strongly agree that "quoting" the previous mail REALLY is a good idea. I keep the entire email thread going. There are just a few folks who've carried on our e-conversation as though we were talking face-to-face and didn't need to reference the prior parts of the discussion. I am too old to be able to do that anymore.

:laughing: spreadsheet know why didn't I think of that :laughing: I just have folders in my email and my "waiting for trades" emails go in there...when my trades come in I then email them from that folder to let them know they arrived and file the email to another folder "trades complete"....

I guess thats kinda my way of being organized lol

I have little pieces of paper with whom and what stuck with tape all around the computer screen, the pictures on my desk, in my coin trays....I have them everywhere.

I'm thinking I might need to figure out a better system...my computer screen keeps getting smaller and smaller :laughing:

I use a combination of about three of the above responses. Trade folder in outlook, flag emails that need to be attended to, and attending to usually means spreading sheeting.

We don't do alot of trades, but are very busy in life.

Also use this system to track our travellers.

Can we please be more courteous to our traders?

I recently had someone who was interested in trading with me (we have traded previously). We exchanged several e-mails back and forth about the current trade. Then suddenly they stopped answering e-mail. And yes they are around and posting daily on the forums.

Apparently this is their way of saying they are no longer interested in the trade. Very odd... :ph34r:

I recently had someone who was interested in trading with me (we have traded previously). We exchanged several e-mails back and forth about the current trade. Then suddenly they stopped answering e-mail. And yes they are around and posting daily on the forums.

Apparently this is their way of saying they are no longer interested in the trade. Very odd... B)

this is the height of rudeness. if one is no longer interested in a trade, then they should just say so. i am in the middle of that situation right now. a trade supposedly has been made and another in the works but no response when i say "so what are we trading?" only response. i'll get back to you. after three of those i am feeling a little miffed. and yes, the trader has been on here daily.

if you say you want a coin, then communicate with the owner of the coin in a timely manner cause the coins are going somewhere else!

lara/rsg

I agree, it is not fun to be left in the middle of a trade and then see the cachername logged into here. When I ask for trades I want to settle them as soon as possible so I can get them in the mail. Sometimes I get two offers and I usually want to keep the trade with the first one asking, but then there is not a sound from them, so the trade sets with the next one. I do not like that.

grodan

Apparently this is their way of saying they are no longer interested in the trade. Very odd... B)

this is the height of rudeness. if one is no longer interested in a trade, then they should just say so. i am in the middle of that situation right now. a trade supposedly has been made and another in the works but no response when i say "so what are we trading?" only response. i'll get back to you. after three of those i am feeling a little miffed. and yes, the trader has been on here daily.

if you say you want a coin, then communicate with the owner of the coin in a timely manner cause the coins are going somewhere else!

lara/rsg

I seem to be in this same boat. I realize people are busy but how long would it take to reply to a PM or email? Being ignored leads me to believe 1) I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what that is and they won't tell me 2) They haven't been getting my messages 3) they really don't care to trade and for some reason feel that ignoring someone is the best way to handle it instead of just being upfront.

I don't like any of those choices. And it does seem rather rude to treat someone like that. B)

I'm quite new to trading and appreciate all the advice here about tracking trades. I have a folder, flagged email, and a spreadsheet, and I hope I've communicated adequately.

Question: How often have folks sent a coin and not received the promised coin in return? I've sent a few follow-up emails and not received a response. I guess people do get sick or move...

I'm quite new to trading and appreciate all the advice here about tracking trades. I have a folder, flagged email, and a spreadsheet, and I hope I've communicated adequately.

Question: How often have folks sent a coin and not received the promised coin in return? I've sent a few follow-up emails and not received a response. I guess people do get sick or move...

Wow - that's low...that's stealing IMHO. If that person does not make the trade and/or doesn't return your coin after a month without explanation then you should post that person's name here so nobody else gets ripped off by them.

That has just recently happened to me also, I have not been sure how to handle it either. I always use delivery confirmation on US trades so I know they got the coin I sent, they did report receiving it as well. They tell me that they sent the coin to me but its been a month or better and not a thing has turned up here. I find it really strange that all my bills always make it to me, payments I send make it to the bill collectors just fine...but a geocoin disappears??? B)

Years ago in the beanie baby days, we used feedback forums so you could go and see if your trading pal was a good guy or not...is there any way of checking on a traders trading practices? I have seen in the mission threads where people occasionally don't receive their end of a mission, is there a "blacklist" of these types of people anywhere?? B)

Let me provide a glimmer of hope here.

I actually have had a few geocoin packages sent to me go MIA for more than 1-2 months, but by the grace of God or just the postal machines finally spitting them out (I have pictures of one particularly mangled envelope) all but 1 eventually arrived.

Don't give up hope and believe in the honesty of others. I also believe in Karma B) B)

Edited by TokyoBlossom

Wow - that's low...that's stealing IMHO. If that person does not make the trade and/or doesn't return your coin after a month without explanation then you should post that person's name here so nobody else gets ripped off by them.

Well, I'll stick with TokyoBlossom's approach of believing in the honesty of others and wait a bit longer. I think that person has been around awhile and has a positive history, so I'm hoping there's no personal emergency going on :) Kinda wish there was a way of finding out without potentially giving that person a bad reputation.

And I have received a mangled envelope too, with the bottom open and somehow the coin stayed in; whew!

I think cointracking does have a trade rating system, but do folks use it as much as folks on that e-place do?

I think cointracking does have a trade rating system, but do folks use it as much as folks on that e-place do?

They have one you can view from a link on the page where you would go to contact a collector. From checking my rating, I've only got one (positive, woo! :P ) Given that I've made over 100 trades to about 70 different traders, I'm guessing the rating system isn't used THAT often. :mad::)

Edited by dflye
Well, I'll stick with TokyoBlossom's approach of believing in the honesty of others and wait a bit longer. I think that person has been around awhile and has a positive history, so I'm hoping there's no personal emergency going on :) Kinda wish there was a way of finding out without potentially giving that person a bad reputation.

And I have received a mangled envelope too, with the bottom open and somehow the coin stayed in; whew!

I hear you. It's just that you said they weren't returning your email. That's not a good sign. If that person has been around awhile and has a positive history then you'd think somebody would know if they were having some sort of emergency that would keep them from returning an email to you.

I guess it's just because I recently got burned by a fellow cacher (not anyone here) and had my cache container stolen that I'm sensitive to cachers ripping off other cachers. It's just not right. And while I admire your fortitude I have to admit that I'm now a little leary of entering into a trade with someone because of concerns that I'll be the next victim.

Someone else mentioned a 'blacklist'. I'd hate for it to get to that, but if someone here didn't follow through on a trade and then refused to return my email to find out why eventually I'd feel the need to call them out to protect other people here. Perhaps this person feels they can get away with this behavior because they feel safe that their reputation won't be tarnished....

I realize that life events happen - things beyond our control - tragic events and all. But even if I were lying ill in a hospital, I'd still be darn sure someone in my family would be taking care of business for me.

Sorry for the rant but I just can't abide people who steal.

My pet peeve?? Rude people.

Be polite to other traders. Understand that some people aren't online daily, and give them time to respond. Also, give someone time to look at your lists, and get back to you.

I just had my first bad experience with a trade request... a little manners and human understanding can go a long way in making friends, and also getting some great coins. :)

I've never had ONE bad trade experience otherwise - everything has arrived, most have been very polite, and I can't really think of anyone I haven't traded with multiple times.

:mad:

Sometimes people have brain farts (like me!)

Someone contacted me that they had a GCC Last Cache (August 2006) copper to trade with me and I can't find the email anywhere! I'm not ignoring you, I've just turned into volunteer freak extraordinare...and my brain hurts. Please don't give up, I would like that coin...I need a beer.

I've had issues in the past in dealing with traders who have extra heavy defense on their inbox, with spam filters that apparently must remove 99.99% of their incoming mail! :)

As long as they wade through their spam folder once a week or so looking for the misidentified mail, there is a chance for a trade to occur versus just getting lost in the weeds.

Whenever I make an offer based upon a trade request in the trading thread, I make sure to post a quick note to the thread to indicate I sent an email or PM so that the onus is on the other person to indicate if they didn't receive the msg.

That has just recently happened to me also, I have not been sure how to handle it either. I always use delivery confirmation on US trades so I know they got the coin I sent, they did report receiving it as well. They tell me that they sent the coin to me but its been a month or better and not a thing has turned up here. I find it really strange that all my bills always make it to me, payments I send make it to the bill collectors just fine...but a geocoin disappears??? :)

Yes geocoins DO disappear. I know the person you are speaking of and they have an excellent reputation here. If they said they sent it then it was sent. The post office has been known to lose mail especially I think those packages that aren't machineable. There are many stories here of coins being delivered to the wrong house too. I'm sure you can work out a satisfactory solution to your problem as you are still in touch with each other. The earlier post said the other cacher is no longer answering emails so that is a slightly different problem.

They have one you can view from a link on the page where you would go to contact a collector. From checking my rating, I've only got one (positive, woo! :) ) Given that I've made over 100 trades to about 70 different traders, I'm guessing the rating system isn't used THAT often. :):D

I just went on cointracking and rated (all positive) the few trades that I recently had with folks there. Thank you all! Maybe start a trend :D

Hmmm... regarding the person that hasn't been replying to my emails (been about a month) - just initiated a new msg via the cointracking server. Maybe got a new email address and forgot to tell me.

I just went on cointracking and rated (all positive) the few trades that I recently had with folks there. Thank you all! Maybe start a trend :)

Hmmm... regarding the person that hasn't been replying to my emails (been about a month) - just initiated a new msg via the cointracking server. Maybe got a new email address and forgot to tell me.

Cointracking does not have a prompt as trades are not registered, like on the sales sites.

Therefore it is easy to overlook.

Apparently this is their way of saying they are no longer interested in the trade. Very odd... :D

Thanks so much to you awesome traders who sent e-mail to me asking if it was you who hadn't answered e-mail.

What exceptionally nice people to do that !! :):):D

I think a "Blacklist" has been mentioned before, but it was never realized because many people thought it would be in bad taste. Personally, I think it would be a good idea, but I think the people on the list have to be there because of extraordinary circumstances; i.e. numberous attempts to email and no return responses as to their circumstances. Really, there is no excuse for someone not to return an email or post a general comment on the forums after a few weeks about extenuating circumstances. I also think it is unconscionable to join a mission and not fulfill it! I know there are some people who don't make it by the deadline date, but they will post a comment on the forum to let the recipient know. I, like most of you, have an incredibly busy life and I am not in the forums for weeks at a time, but if there is any pending trades/answers, I will assure you that I will get back in a few weeks and hopefully sooner.

Another comment: I have always received my trades; some take a lot longer than others, but most have been very timely. I can only think of one incident with SweetLife (Barry and Val) where I didn't get their trade. I waited for about 3 weeks (sometimes MD's mail system can be verrrrrry slow) but it never showed up. I kept in touch with Barry and Val and they kept in touch with me. After a month, they sent out another coin (Thanks again, guys). As of today, we still don't know where that first coin went, but I promised if it showed up, I would send it back. So, the moral of this story is: things happen; it's what you do that makes all the difference! :blink:

I am happy to report that I did eventually hear from the person who I had said did not reply for weeks. Coin spent a few extra weeks at the Post Office. The other day I was mailing a coin and got a glimpse of why sometimes packages get stuck/lost in the PO. After stamping it, the clerk tossed it towards a bin and missed so it fell on the floor. Fortunately she noticed and picked it up, but I can well imagine how some packages could "miss" and lay around for some time.

As for me I was using a spreadsheet with the typical: geocaching nick, name, addy, my coin, your coin, and email addy, trade sent, trade received. Haven't been using it lately may set it up again---I have been filtering through my geocoin trade folder and update it weekly if needed. I tend to keep my current trades in my inbox. I do try and send a received e-mail...I too sent delivery confirmation $.18 isn't too much to give me a piece of mind for my US trades.

Well, I moved in late October(PA-NC and new job) had trades(missions) in the air and coins purchased going all over the place....Needless to say, I tried to keep up with all the trades in the works(I hope I didn't miss anyone).

Other people may have requested trades during that time, I hope I responded with a "maybe later" or "not at this time", but I might have just deleted the e-mail. E-mail was my line of communication for work...until they set up my work account...took like a month...so my box was pretty full. I hope I didn't upset anyone in here....if I missed you. Trust me, I have a ton I would like to trade....and get since I missed a bunch during my move.

Steel City Babes

...I too sent delivery confirmation $.18 isn't too much to give me a piece of mind for my US trades.

How do you get delivery confirmation for $0.18 for trades? When I talked to the PO, they wanted around $0.80 and had some thickness requirements also. I've seen the Paypal labels with delivery confirmation for coins that I've purchased, but I didn't find a way in Paypal to start a label without having purchased something.

...I too sent delivery confirmation $.18 isn't too much to give me a piece of mind for my US trades.

How do you get delivery confirmation for $0.18 for trades? When I talked to the PO, they wanted around $0.80 and had some thickness requirements also. I've seen the Paypal labels with delivery confirmation for coins that I've purchased, but I didn't find a way in Paypal to start a label without having purchased something.

I use paypal multi-order shipping services and selecting create a label (not importing a label) and it is offered for .18. I usually go through create a label and you can uncheck the service I think, if you don't want it. It isn't signature confirmation just a delivery confirmation.

I've been lucky in that, so far (knock on wood?) I've received all the coins I've traded for.

My pet peeve? I received an email from someone who had a coin I desired. They offered the trade, I accepted. Done deal? Not quite... a few days later I received an email indicating they'd received a "better offer". Mind you, I was not the person to initiate the trade request.

I could see them continuing to review offers if I had initiated the request, but the other person offered the trade and set what was to be traded. The lesson I learned.... if I make a commitment to trade a coin, I stick with it, even if I'm offered "more" later.

That has just recently happened to me also, I have not been sure how to handle it either. I always use delivery confirmation on US trades so I know they got the coin I sent, they did report receiving it as well. They tell me that they sent the coin to me but its been a month or better and not a thing has turned up here. I find it really strange that all my bills always make it to me, payments I send make it to the bill collectors just fine...but a geocoin disappears??? :o

Yes geocoins DO disappear. I know the person you are speaking of and they have an excellent reputation here. If they said they sent it then it was sent. The post office has been known to lose mail especially I think those packages that aren't machineable. There are many stories here of coins being delivered to the wrong house too. I'm sure you can work out a satisfactory solution to your problem as you are still in touch with each other. The earlier post said the other cacher is no longer answering emails so that is a slightly different problem.

I've had to think about this for awhile. I am left with one question-

What is your responsibility in a trade when the coin up and disappears??

LadyB4T if you do indeed know the particulars of the trade I am referring to (I'm not sure how you would, I have never pointed fingers or named names) I'm glad to know that they have an excellent reputation as traders but does that make it alright that the other party never receives anything??

I have been turned away to trading since this trade went bad (its been over 2 months). I guess I would just like to know what ya'll think...you send your end and thats that, no worrys, no responsibility?? Do you just chalk it up to postal errors and don't give it another thought or should you make sure the other trader does indeed receive something??

.....inquiring minds..... :blink:

Edited by usyoopers