Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
SteelHead[BC]

The Net Is Up And Running

My IRLP node is down, I can't check in OR run the net!!! (Unless I can get the owner to fix the node)

--Marky

Still searching for another IRLP node to use. I couldn't hit the one in San Carlos from San Jose.

Early Checkins:

KC9EZP, Fred, Ft Wayne, IN

VE9HP, Dave, Vancouver, BC

VE2CZ, Chris, Georgetown, Ontario

I'm still able to monitor the net, but it is broken up, and I guess I'm not making it back in to the reflector.

I'm going to disconnect the IRLP node 3204 since it's breaking up so badly. I hope to get the other node back online by next Thursday.

--Marky

Ok Marky,

Sorry you had so much trouble getting into the repeater and all but thats the way it goes some times.

Thank you Andy for taking it over.

Anyway this is what I got for Week 3 check-ins

Early check-ins

KC9EZP- Fred in Ft Wayne, IN

VE7HP- Dave in Vanchouver, BC

VE2CZ- Chris in Georgetown, ON

KA7CJH- Chris in Reno, NV

Regular check-ins

KI6AZF- Marky in San Jose, CA-Net Control #1

VE7WCC- Andy New Westminster, BC-Net Control #2

KCØUYK- Dave in Northglenn, CO

VE7ROX- Jim in N Vancouver, BC

KCØSUL- Denis in Lakewood, CO

VE7BBD- Steve

VE7GBD- Gordy

VE7IKB- Mike

VE7KTL- Kathy

VA7BEK- Brian

Hope I got them all.

Thanks all for checking in!

Edited by Dr123d

Yeah, that was weird. I talked to the owner of the repeater after the net, and he told me what he thinks happened. I was still able to hear the net and monitored the net until the end, but the repeater was just enough off frequency that the IRLP node itself wouldn't listen to the repeater I was on.

Dan, N6VYQ, the owner of the IRLP node and the four repeaters linked to it, after listening in to the net gave me permission to use it for the net, so now if my main IRLP node is down I have a backup. He's a pretty cool guy, who at one time had 9 linked repeaters covering about 1/2 of California. Now there are just 4, but it's still covers 1/3 of California and he owns, operates, and funds them all out of his own pocket. How cool is that?

--Marky

Sorry about not making the net last night guys. The XYL wound up being a little more of a priority. Well that eating dinner :rolleyes:

Max...

K0AZV

With the late start, I had to bail out early, sorry. What did I miss???

Hopefully this coming week I can stay longer, but we gotta start this thing ON TIME, folks! Marky had legit propblems for sure, but we need a backup Net Control, right?

I don't even have my base stn set up yet, so I am sitting in my car all this time :D !! It's ccccold here, man!

My vote (if Marky is the designated NCO) is to get the backup NCO to get this thing going at :35 past the hour if the regular NCO cannot make it in. IRLP does have its issues. Is that you, Andy??

Opinions on this?

I would like to see an active discussion on people's experiences, stories, challenges, newbie questions, etc etc. Maybe there should a "question of the week" in advance posted here?

Opinions on this?

Chris

Edited by charliezulu

Hopefully this coming week I can stay longer, but we gotta start this thing ON TIME, folks! Marky had legit propblems for sure, but we need a backup Net Control, right?

I don't even have my base stn set up yet, so I am sitting in my car all this time :D !! It's ccccold here, man!

My vote (if Marky is the designated NCO) is to get the backup NCO to get this thing going at :35 past the hour if the regular NCO cannot make it in. IRLP does have its issues. Is that you, Andy??

Opinions on this?

I would like to see an active discussion on people's experiences, stories, challenges, newbie questions, etc etc. Maybe there should a "question of the week" in advance posted here?

Opinions on this?

Chris

Lots of good points Chris. I was talking to Andy last night after the net about things and I/we think there needs to be a rotation of NCO. This would be a good idea and keep things fresh and different. I can work on a list and schedual if anyone wants to have a shot at it drop me an email and I'll put it together.

A weekly question would be good. and I have a few including the one you suggested on last weeks net (I think it was you anyway?)

I think the next person on the list of NCO's should be the back up op but we could do something diff if you all would like?

Starting on time is a big thing too. and yes 35 after would be a good time for the back up to start.

Just my thoughts!

Thanks,

73 KCØUYK

You got that right Marky,

Dan N6VYQ is a very nice and smart guy. I used his older UHF repeater system when I lived near Bakersfield,Ca to talk all over the state of California.

Glad to hear he's still got some working repeaters on the air.

Chris KA7CJH

Dan, N6VYQ, the owner of the IRLP node and the four repeaters linked to it, after listening in to the net gave me permission to use it for the net, so now if my main IRLP node is down I have a backup. He's a pretty cool guy, who at one time had 9 linked repeaters covering about 1/2 of California. Now there are just 4, but it's still covers 1/3 of California and he owns, operates, and funds them all out of his own pocket. How cool is that?

--Marky

I'm not familiar with IRLP. I assume it is a similar technology as Echo link, but not compatible. I guess my question is, is there away to access a node through the INTERNET or do you have to go through an IRLP enabled repeater.

OK, I looked but I don't think I can hit any of the linked repeaters. <_<

I don't even have my base stn set up yet, so I am sitting in my car all this time :( !! It's ccccold here, man!

Opinions on this?

I would like to see an active discussion on people's experiences, stories, challenges, newbie questions, etc etc.  Maybe there should a "question of the week" in advance posted here?

Opinions on this?

Chris

Lots of good points Chris. I was talking to Andy last night after the net about things and I/we think there needs to be a rotation of NCO. This would be a good idea and keep things fresh and different. I can work on a list and schedual if anyone wants to have a shot at it drop me an email and I'll put it together.

A weekly question would be good. and I have a few including the one you suggested on last weeks net (I think it was you anyway?)

I think the next person on the list of NCO's should be the back up op but we could do something diff if you all would like?

Starting on time is a big thing too. and yes 35 after would be a good time for the back up to start.

Just my thoughts!

Thanks,

73 KCØUYK

I'd like to make another point if that's OK. (I say this, because I will definitely volunteer to be NCO as well, as soon as I get my J-pole up in the air, and I don't have to sit out in my car to work my local IRLP Node.. :huh::()

Here goes: Since we now have a list of regulars who have shown up three weeks in a row, can I ask the next NCO to have this list handy, including the new names from last weeK? It's kind of painful to ask for name, QTH and call sign two or three times when we all know who it is. Next time we hear KC0UYK we'll all know it Dave in Colorado and so on!

Hope to see you again this week!

Chris

OK, I looked but I don't think I can hit any of the linked repeaters. :huh:

It's a common mistake for new folks to IRLP to think that they can not hit the repeater. Part of the setup of IRLP is to disable courtesy tones and keep squelch tails short. If you have a IRLP node nearby, key up, announce your call and say something like "bringing up IRLP", and enter a 4 digit node number (try one of the reflectors like 9000 if you don't know any other node to put in). If you are able to hit the node and it connects you will hear the announcement that you have connected. From there it is like using any other repeater except for the fact that you should key up and wait a couple of seconds to actually talk. Latency and delay in the network might wind up cutting off the first few seconds of what you transmitted. The other key thing to remember is that once you are completed with your QSO on IRLP, say "bringing down link" and enter in the numbers 73 on the keypad. You'll get a disconnect announcement and you are good to go.

I will ad this one final note. Get the detailed info on the node nearest and contact the owner. Sometimes nodes are private and utilize a password to actually start the attaching to node process. There also might be an occasional differance in how they have it programmed as well.

Max...

K0AZV

Still searching for another IRLP node to use. I couldn't hit the one in San Carlos from San Jose.

You may want to try ECHOLINK.org

They have some NODES that are hooked into IRLP. No too sure though as I have not tried it. But it here for a thought.....

OK, I looked but I don't think I can hit any of the linked repeaters. :huh:

You can try echolink, I see inthe list that there are IRLP connected to ECHOLINK, or sould I say ECHOLINK has nodes connected to IRLP. I have yet to look but will research it.

Also I have three available IRLP nodes here in my area. Our local one is down at the momet, there is one on simplex in Brookings, and one on a linked system that spans from the Canadian boarder to southern cali. Not linked all the time though... HUGE system.

My ECHOLINK number is 278887 is my normal repeater setting, 278949 will be the number to connect to for the ECHOLINK USERS for the GEOCACHING NET. IRLP in Brookings is 3677, IRLP here in Crescent City is (down at the moment).

278887 is linked into a repeater as of this writting, my change it to a simplex freq, having an issue with the pl tone getting throught to the internet audio. Cant hear it local.

OK Folks, 73's and the Woman and I wil ltry to make the net...

Edited by Steak N Eggs

OK, for all you ECHOLINK users out there. I will put my ECHOLINK on the IRLP 9000 reflector. What I do need is for a couple of people (one ECHO and one IRLP) to get together with me so I can test this out. Not sure if it will add LAG time to the contacts but I got the permission from the Brookings IRLP node to connect it up on thursday and try it out.

Get a hold of me on either of those and lets see if I can get this to work.

Or use YAHOO Messenger ericburgett2000

My YAHOO ID....

73's....

Edited by Steak N Eggs

well i can help you out ........ bring up my Echolink 243326

or my IRLP node 1507

i will be around so give me a call

VE7WCC

Andy

And if you really dont want to start a long conversation on IRLP, just connect to node # 9990- This is the Echo Reflector. It will repeat what ever you say into it.

This reflector will let you hear firsthand how you sound through IRLP.

Chris KA7CJH IRLP node #3922

Well, I looked at an updated IRLP reflector list- the closest 2m one is about 300 miles away. I'm going to have to start one up here in town...

OK, I looked but I don't think I can hit any of the linked repeaters. :)

It's a common mistake for new folks to IRLP to think that they can not hit the repeater. Part of the setup of IRLP is to disable courtesy tones and keep squelch tails short. If you have a IRLP node nearby, key up, announce your call and say something like "bringing up IRLP", and enter a 4 digit node number (try one of the reflectors like 9000 if you don't know any other node to put in). If you are able to hit the node and it connects you will hear the announcement that you have connected. From there it is like using any other repeater except for the fact that you should key up and wait a couple of seconds to actually talk. Latency and delay in the network might wind up cutting off the first few seconds of what you transmitted. The other key thing to remember is that once you are completed with your QSO on IRLP, say "bringing down link" and enter in the numbers 73 on the keypad. You'll get a disconnect announcement and you are good to go.

I will ad this one final note. Get the detailed info on the node nearest and contact the owner. Sometimes nodes are private and utilize a password to actually start the attaching to node process. There also might be an occasional differance in how they have it programmed as well.

Max...

K0AZV

Thanks for the info but: The reason I don't think I can hit the repeater is because it's too far away and I live in an apartment so a decent antenna is more or less out of the question.

Apartment, House, Condo, No IRLP node in range, echolink uses computer only. Check it out. It takes a little setup to get your soundcard settings right but sounds good after its done. You need a mike and speakers on your computer. NO RADIO NEEDED.

278949 is my echolink number for the geocaching net on thursday.

278887 is my normal echolink number.

I'm going to have to start one up here in town...

Glad to hear it.. You got my support if you need it.

Edited by KA7CJH

Fine Business all...

I was able to monitor the net this evening, but wasn't able to hit the repeater.

but it was good to hear other Hams talking about caching!

Hopfully I'll be able to fix my problem before I have to move (in the next few weeks)

so I can log in to the net!

till then, I look forward to speaking with you all

Rick KC0VJF

Denver, CO

Fine Business all...

I was able to monitor the net this evening, but wasn't able to hit the repeater.

but it was good to hear other Hams talking about caching!

Hopfully I'll be able to fix my problem before I have to move (in the next few weeks) 

so I can log in to the net!

till then, I look forward to speaking with you all

Rick KC0VJF

Denver, CO

Give me a shout on the local repeater some time 146.940 Tone 103.5mhz or 147.225 Tone 107.2 we have an IRLP link on that repeater.

KCØUYK 73'

Edited by Dr123d

Net start: 6:30PM Pacific Time

Net end: 8:10PM Pacific Time

11 Early and late check-ins.

4 Regular check-ins.

Checkins from:

Vancouver, BC

Greenville, TN

Ft Wayne, In

Denver, CO

Aurora, CO

Georgetown, ON

Cresent City, CA

San Jose, CA

and Guam

Thanks to all who participated in tonights net, it was a blast. See you next week.

--Marky, K6FTF

Net start: 6:30PM Pacific Time

Net end: 8:10PM Pacific Time

11 Early and late check-ins.

4 Regular check-ins.

Checkins from:

Vancouver, BC

Greenville, TN

Ft Wayne, In

Denver, CO

Aurora, CO

Georgetown, ON

Cresent City, CA

San Jose, CA

and Guam

Thanks to all who participated in tonights net, it was a blast.  See you next week.

--Marky, K6FTF

I had KE4UUU check me in, I'm from Topeka, KS.

Edited by BlueNinja

' date='Jan 18 2006, 06:33 PM'] Bump!!!

Good job SH! Your my hero even though you talk funny! :blink:

I had KE4UUU check me in, I'm from Topeka, KS.

oops, sorry BlueNinja, I had you down.

--Marky

I don't have to be Net Control every week, you know. If anyone wants to give it a shot, just say so. :blink:

--Marky

I haven't had much luck getting ahold of the IRLP node owners around here so I talked to VE7WCC last night on Echolink, I will be able to hear the net on his Echolink node 243326 but that's all I will be able to do.

So if you would put me down as an earily check in I'll be listening, I'll get this figured out yet.

Thanks alot.

KE7FWH

Rob

I don't have to be Net Control every week, you know. If anyone wants to give it a shot, just say so. :anitongue:

--Marky

I haven't got any emails from anyone in regards to being Net Op so if you are interested let me know so I can put a schedual together.

Thanks,

Dave KCØUYK

I'll be listening on 243326... Can someone check me in?

EDIT: Done.

Edited by BlueNinja

Hi Marky,

Procrastinated on building my Jpole, so I was unable to check in tonight to the net.

If this thing works, I'll be checking in next week :anitongue:

I am monitoring just cant check in.

Rick - KC0VJF

Edited by KC0VJF

Well I was a little late getting connected due to a small computer problem and then all I could do was listen but it sounded like fun, I wish I could have joined in, hopefully next week.

KE7FWH

I'm glad that some people are listening in and trying to get on. I look forward to hearing you on the air. We had a relatively slow net this week. Only 3 IRLP nodes connected to the reflector. Andy, VE7WCC, was able to manually link in Tom, N9RPQ, into the net. Tom was on EchoLink and Andy has an EchoLink and an IRLP node sitting side by side at his QTH. It was good to hear Tom on the net and he was coming in loud and clear.

I've been unsuccessful in getting anyone in my local area to check in to the net so far.

We had 4 early check-ins and 5 regular check-ins. Thanks to everyone who checked in. :lol:

--Marky

I would but I'm not going to be able to make the net :) I do have a good reason and it is cache related so please forgive me :) The is a local ARES meeting and one of the main topics is geocaching :) I will be pluging the net at the meeting so I hope we can get the numbers up at least from Colo cachers.

Also I might have found a open repeater so I can dial up Reflectors with out having someone do it for me. If this is true then I will get in touch wtih the repeater owner to see if they will let me run the net from it. I let you know. I may be able to do it next week.

Hang in there Marky, we will get more people to be net op I hope. Still haven't got any emails from people interested. I know Andy would be up for it :D so I'm putting him on the list.

73'

Dave-KCØUYK

Edited by Dr123d