Geocache Containers

lakeuk

I like "lock 'n' lock" style containers, but they are not all created equal and some of mine (cheapy) that have been out for a year or more have started to show signs of wear. Besides, at almost £2 a throw, for 50p more you can have a nice 30 cal ammo can. Or at least I can... coz I know this little place.... :rolleyes:

Besides, at almost £2 a throw, for 50p more you can have a nice 30 cal ammo can. Or at least I can... coz I know this little place.... :rolleyes:

Where's that then? I'd be interested in buying some of these and I'm sure other Irish cachers would too....they're in pretty short supply over here :D

Shall I take Klaus shopping then, just before he goes back home for a weekend. How many ammo cans do you think he could carry? It could be a novelty version of 'Buckaroo' :rolleyes: The shoppe does not do mail order and I am in a secretive mood, but I dare say we could work something out...

The problem with Ammo boxes is that they often contain some very noxious chemical traces from several sources; including the various chemicals that make up explosives, and Uranium from the depleted uranium tips of some armaments.

I discovered this fact some years ago, whilst reading about Radon testing in caves and there was an anomaly on some readings, which was traced to the use of Ammo cans to carry equipment having high traces of Uranium in them!

Moote

squash plastic to "make it fit", in one of those "it will go in" moments

And that is why some caches get waterlogged as the seals are broken! :rolleyes:

And that is why some caches get waterlogged as the seals are broken! :D

Recent caches found have been waterlogged, with good seals. wonder if its condensation? As cache is well protected.

I bought one during my lunch hour a few months ago and opened it for the first time when I got back to my office. The lid was a bit on the tight side and eventually it came open with a bit of a jerk (no... not me :rolleyes: ). When the dust had settled, everything for yards around was covered in a fluorescent red powder. The case had held 20mm marker shells... you know... the sort that explode in a great splash of colour to show the gunner where his shell had landed. One of them had obviously 'leaked'. I wasn't the most popular guy in the office that afternoon... by a long way :D

Heads up Aldi a floging Lock and Seal Storage Containers for £1.79 from 12th Jan

One word or warning is that I believe Aldi do the marketing regionally so the stock can be rotated (although it could be Lidl I am thinking of, or perhaps it is both). As a result they will most likely not be available throughout the country as of the 12th.

One word or warning is that I believe Aldi do the marketing regionally so the stock can be rotated (although it could be Lidl I am thinking of, or perhaps it is both). As a result they will most likely not be available throughout the country as of the 12th.

It's Lidl that do that, Aldi are pretty good with their offers, although you need to be early with the popular ones

I don't like ammo cans, I far prefer plastic boxes. :D

As a finder, that is. So often when I open ammo cans, no matter how carefully I try to do it, they give out a great metallic clang and clatter, and it always seems to be loudest when there are muggles within earshot.

Sitting on a convenient bench, examining the cache contents, if muggles happen along a lunchbox looks so much more innocuous than an ammunition container.

And every so often, when I snap the lid shut on an ammo box, it tries to take the ends of my fingers off. Tupperware just doesn't do that. :D

i tend to use the tesco lock and lock type 2.4 lt about £2.50 and they seem to be ok and stand up to rough treatment ok.

This is what I have been using for the past year or so, Tesco's are called BioKips, and the one's Sainsbury's sell are by Addis, but when you peel off the label you see that they too are BioKips <_<

So far I have never had any problems with them, all my earlier containers ended up letting water in!

Tupperware is all well and good but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't put it in a carrier bag or bin liner!!!

Thats my whinge out of the way.

:ph34r:

Yes Yes Yes, all well said and done, but if you use the technique to wrap them the same that sailors use to pass documents and stuff, making sure you have educated everyone before they go to your cache, then placcie bags are wonderfull. B)B)B)B)

No hang on I'm having a bit of a senior moment, and I'm only 35 B)<_<

Don't use placcie bags, I do concur!! B):D

Plastic pill pot containers when we went to our local chemist we got 2carrier bags full of them, all different sizes.All of the ones we have put out have stayed water tight and are ideal for using for small caches as they allow room for tbs and small swops

Edited by CANTOR CLAN