Magellan Topo 3-d Issue

sd70feb

hi, i bought a magellan 210 with the mapsend topo software as a package. trouble is the disks dont seem to work in my computer. works on another comp though. i spoke with magellan tech support..bla..bla.....they sent over new software disks. same thing, my computer doesnt read that there is even a disk in the drive. i put several other set up disks ,for other things, in and they work. is there anything i can do? i dont think its my computer... did i get another bad set of disks ? please help !!!! i love the 210 ,but i want better maps. thanks in advance

I had a similar problem with the Mapsend Direct Route after I had used it for awhile. Each time you use it, you have to have the CD in the drive and after awhile it wouldn't recognize the CD. I ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling.

Edited by badlands

I had the same trouble with my topo 3d software. I had to put the cd in a drive on my other computer and install the software across my home network. That was the only way I got it to work.

Come to think of it, it may have something to do with the disk not working on a combo cd/dvd drive.

TroutAngler

edited to add a thought

Edited by TheFreshwaterAnglers

How old is your computer? A lot of the older CD drives have trouble with the newer disks, especially anything on a CD-R/RW disk. That can also be true the other way around (new CD-rom, old disks). They are supposed to make the disks/drives all backward compatable to older equiptment, but they often let some slip though the quality control cracks thinking that there aren't enough people out there with mis-matched equiptment that will complain.

my computer is fairly new. windows xp, 2.6 gb, 256 of ram, and a good video card. it doesnt have a dvd/cd device, just a cd drive/burner. i still dont understand how it works on other computers but not my setup. very fustrating. and maghellan tech support was "going to get back to me" two days ago. right .......... well if anyone else can lend a hand, please do. thanks and take care.

I was on the Meggan website looking for info because I am considering buying direct route. I saw some where in a q & a link that the problem you are having is common. The webpage had a link to get a patch that should correct your issue. Sorry but I didn't write down the info. I started at megallengps.com

:D Very frustrated with this! My laptap won't run it at all !! My desk top will install all three disks, but then refuses to run it, constantly requesting for disk 3 to be inserted even though it is in there. I've read a lot of negative reports about their tech support, so I'm not optimistic about their being able to offer a solution. I've also read a lot of negative reviews of MapSend accuracy, so I'm beginning to think I've wasted a lot of money by choosing the Explorist 600 Topo3D package!!
...........  I've also read a lot of negative reviews of MapSend accuracy, so I'm beginning to think I've wasted a lot of money by choosing the Explorist 600 Topo3D package!!

Aparently there are some problems with the CD's that are well documented, and exchanged my magellan promptly!

But as to the issue of mapsend innacuracies, well that depends on the age of the software, and the versions of mapping data they use!

I live in Australia and have no dealings with the mapsend products from your side of the pond, but 'our' version of mapsend, called DiscoverAus, has very accurate mapping info!

One would expect the latest 3D version to have very good accuracy, (as DiscoverAus topo does(almost pinpoint accurate compared to topo maps images!!)

I have read that you can exchange the CD's from the point of sale..........etc

cheers.

Edited by arthurking83