Downloading To Pda

Greetings! Sorry of this has been asked before but I couldn't find it either in the forums or on the FAQs. I would like to get the caceh descriptions onto my pda and I can do it by downloading the .pdf of the description. I recently got Mobipocket software and while I see the various ways to download the coordinates (I use GSAK) how are the files identified for Mobipocket or do I still download the .pdf??? TIA

Since it's been a while and no one answered, I'll take a stab at it:

1) You already have GASK. If your PDA is running the Palm OS, get Cachemate. Hands down it is the way to go. Forget mobipocket.

2) Before Cachemate came out (or I learned about it), I used mobipocket for a while. I seem to remember there is a different format you want to download from Geocaching.com, instead of the .gpx format. I think it's called ebook format. This assumes you are a premium member getting a Pocket Query. If you are not, well....

3) pdf format is new from geocaching.com, but I'm sure any pda can deal with them. I know my Palm does, but it's not here and I don't remember the application it uses. But is not using mobipocket, to my knowledge....

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama
Thanks again. The new documents to go v 8 has a far superior pdf viewer to the earlier viewers so it seems like pdf is the way to go. So between my pda viewing pdf files and my Garmin gps60 cs and GSAK I think I am really god to go. I appreciate your input. Best regards!

Isn't there a free pdf viewer for the Palm on the Acrobat website?

I'd still prefer the cachemate way though :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I use a Palm TX with GSAK on the PC and free MobiPocket, free adobe reader and Cachemate on the PDA. I had downloaded the PDF format and loaded the latest free adobe reader application for the PDA. This was a nice free solution for going paperless but the view was only read only and would only allow minimal input.

If you are a premium member on geocaching.com you have the ability to create pocket queries which will e-mail you a GPX, LOC and or Mobipocket eBook format. The eBook format will contain all the geocaches / waypoints you created in your query sorted from the HOME location you specify. The eBook format is limited compared to using Cachemate but for a down and dirty quick view of all your caches you can’t beet it. Either way you end up spending a little $$, either for the premium membership or for GSAK and Cachemate apps. Bellow is the information taken directly off of the website for Pocket Queries.

“Pocket Queries are custom geocache queries you can have emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis. They are in a format you can bring along with you on cache hunts on your GPS and/or PDA. You can select a GPX or LOC text file and/or MobiPocket eBook format that works with supported software applications. Because of the detailed queries, each search can run only once per day. You have up to 5 pocket queries run every 24 hour period”

:D

One good point caught my attention: You get the pictures on cache pages with pdf files. On occasion, that can be important. I think I'll test it out, and see how it works, so I can do that for certain caches, if necessary. Still, Cachemate for most uses, however, is best, IMHO. Thanks.

Since I filter out the Puzzle caches from my Pocket Queries, having pictures has never been a problem for me. My Palm M500 doesn't have that capacity anyway . . . at least I don't think it does . . . :)

If I ever chose to do a cache that required a picture to find, I quess I would have to remember to print out the photo/photos.

I am using a old Palm IIIce. For my birthday my husband is going to by me a newer palm and it will have the capability to viewing pictures. So that's why I ask. I have loaded many caches in my palm and on a rare occation I find a cache that talks about a picture. And boy oh boy it would have made it alot easier to find it with the picture.

Congratulations on the new Palm. I might suggest you get a hard case for it . . . :)

I have dropped my Palm M500 several times while trying to juggle GPSr and walking stick and pen and . . . :huh: The one benefit to having an older model is the fact that it won't cost me too much to replace it if/when I finally break it.

It can happen . . . . :)

I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you how to get the pictures on your new Palm.