Bright Green Noob

nufdum

Greetings all! I am as new and bright green as one can be! Please pardon any really dumb questions.

I have never been caching but the concept has intrigued me enough that I will be purchasing an Garmin e-trex legend (good unit?) and getting started.

I also do alot of hunting/ fishing and various outdoor activities.

This looks like somthing I can get into with mywife and kids, 5yr. old twins, and have some good family time.

Can anyone help me with any tips or hints to help make the family experience positive? (my wife is very scepticle (sp) ).

BTW I am in Eastern IA.

Thanks in advance, Phil

I've got an Etrex Legend and am very happy with mine. I also hunt and fish quite a bit. :laughing:

I'm a newbie myself, but I can give you some advice on taking the kids. DON'T OVERDUE IT THE FIRST DAY!!!! LOL! We took our girls out last September and I had 10 caches printed off for us to find. Well, we had a blast and found all ten, but the kids were so burnt out they didn't want to go again for a few months. I would just find 3 or 5 caches your first day out and leave them wanting more.

Also, to help pump the kids up, here is great project to do before you go out. We did this and the girls had a blast (ages 15, 11 and 7)....

Go to www.geocaching4kids.com and click on "Ideas, school projects, etc.". Then click on "Make your own walking stick". We had a lot of fun making these simple sticks for the kids.

Best of luck and happy caching! Let us know how it goes!

Welcome to our...um...obsession! A year ago I was in your spot, so I'll pass along my suggestions. Just understand I do not consider myself an expert on anything!

First, that's a fine Garmin unit, so it should serve you well.

Next, read the forums. A lot of people ask the very questions I had, and more frequently others I didn't know I had. If possible, hook up with someone or a group of cachers in your area. Look in the forum for the region-specific area IA falls into. Introduce yourself there.

Then, print off a cache that is relatively close and relatively easy. Figure out how to enter the coordinates into the GPS. Then go find it. Trade something if you want, but be sure to sign the log. Then come back the web site and log your find. Then go hunt some more. The more you hunt the more experience you get. If you don't find it, so what! The goal is to get outside and the fun is in the hunt.

Once you start, you'll want more: more finds, more ways to hunt. You may want a Premium membership so you can download lots of caches at once, then use GSAK to transfer them to your GPS.

Be patient, keep learning, have fun.

The eTrex Legend is a GREAT unit - I have been using one myself for a long time.

Caching can be a great educational tool for parents. It can cover:

1 Sharing (taking one thing from a cache, leaving another),

2 Enviromental concern though 'Cache In Trash Out' - take a plastic grocery bag and pick up trash on the trail.

3 Orienteering/Compass usage

4 Wildlife obserservation/indentification

5 Discovery of new local places to walk you might have never see before

6 Hiking safety

7 Physical workout

8 Puzzle caches can be useful for critical thinking, maybe math (depending on the puzzle)

9 Map reading

and more

Can anyone help me with any tips or hints to help make the family experience positive?

-Start off with some easier caches. 2 stars or under for terrain and difficulty.

-Avoid micros in the beginning. Kids like finding a "treasure", not a film canister with a soggy logsheet.

-Look for caches that might be interesting. Read the logs. If you see a lot of logs praising the cache, its probably a good one. If you see a lot of 1 line entries like "Found it, TNLN, Thanks" its probablhy a stinker.

-If the kids start whining, don't force them to go on. Call it a day and try again another time.

-Don't get thier expectations about the "treasure" too high. Some caches have lotsa nice stuff and some are filled with garbage.

Edited by briansnat
Set a good example and "trade up or even".

Rehide in the same spot as good as or better than you found it.

Take time to enjoy the scenery and new places that you will discover.

Take lots of pictures that turn into lots of memories.

Yeah, that's important!!!! Teach 'em to trade up or even!!!!! You'll be surprised (and a bit disappointed) at how many caches you'll find with junk in them. :laughing:

Welcome! My cousin is contemplating getting a GPS now that she and her 11yr old twin BOYS have gone treasure-hunting with us. She said the one is fascinated with reading the maps now...so that is a good thing I think?

We originally got our GPS for hubby's hunting/fishing stuff. 3-D TOPO map and all. I on the other hand wanted to do the search and rescue Travel Bugs thing...

Like mentioned before, make sure it is a cache with stuff. The only micro we found that was really fun for the kids (our two families (5 kids) range from 5-13) was hidden in a fence, and it was spotted by the kids - even though us adults pretty well knew where it was, we let them find it. Micro though it was, the neighboring horse came over to be petted, which was an award in itself.

We all went shopping for fun/interesting/not junky things at the Dollar Tree locally, and for them to pick out their own trades is fun. Of course they want everything we bought, but we agreed it was for the treasure hunts, and they would get their own cool stuff anyhow.

We also didn't trade anything in one spot, even though there was stuff to take - I forgot to include something small enough to fit in that particular container.

They get excited about "reading" the GPS. Get a cover/sleeve-thingie for it and let them hold it. Then when the alarm goes off that you are in close proximity, they will get all excited about it and scream at you to turn around in the middle of a busy road. :blink:

Once they find a few, give them the idea of making their own hide! Let them look for a good spot, coach them with a few rules. My cousin's boys are going to be "creating" some containers for me until they are members themselves. I was told they already have 5 hiding places scoped out, and are looking for appropriate container ideas.

Pack a lunch and water and find some that are off the main path - those usually have something interesting to see...

Have fun! (we are!)

Number 1 thing: Have fun.

If you fail to find a cache don't sweat it. No matter how many finds you have, you'll always have DNFs. This is probably the biggest barrier to overcome for new cachers. Think of everything you do (right or wrong) as a learning experience. Look up from the GPS once in a while, you'd be amazed at the things you see out caching.

Meeting up with other local cachers is a great way to learn new things and make new friends.

Oh, and have fun.

Wulf

I started less than 1 year ago with my then 3,5 and 6year olds. In order to keep them interested we all go to the dollar store and choose several $1 prizes. I then go by myself (so I do not have too many unnecessary opinions) and purchase higher dollar trades. The kids can trade from the cache or my goodies bag, but not both. The rule is if you fight you can not trade. Too bad, so sorry, do not fight again!! The other thing I learned is that my girls will hike over 4 miles but NEVER tell them they are hiking---it is just a walk!! I always keep a spare pair of shoes, socks, underwear, shirt and pants in the vehicle and take snacks and drink an Potty BEFORE if it is cold.

You may also contact you local caching group or a local cachers to check into caches near parks/playgrounds or easily accesible areas. You may want to do drive bys prior to searching to check out the areas. Always be willing to call it a day and come back.

The other note (please don't flame me) I do come across caches that search in areas I do not want my kids to be comfortable in--ie. Areas that indicate to "stay on trail" I don't want to teach my kids to disregard those signs!! Also areas close to high traffic roads....I guess that is common sense and personal opinion though.

Edited by 1BuzyMom

I am also very new to this game and have a five year old boy. He can't wait for more. Every Saturday, rain, snow, or wind, he wants to "Treasure hunt". When we go to the store, he is always on the lookout for treasure to leave in caches. I didn't tell him what we were doing the first time out. I just drove to the area and got him out. I explained that a treasure was hidden in the area and described the container. I made sure he found the cache by making him stay close to dad when I noticed it.

Our rule is that we must at least match (if not exceed) the "cool" value of the prize taken from the cache. We only put new items in (of course excluding TB) and leave them in the original package whenever possible so future parents won't worry about the used item.

He can take whatever he wants. Sometimes the item (like the happy meal toy without a head) gets "lost" by dad during the same day. Sometimes he keeps the item for weeks.

One thing he is always excited about, we check the cache site later to see if anyone took the treasure he left. He likes to know that someone is enjoying the toy he left. He alway wonders why anyone would take any other item.

The eTrex Legend is a GREAT unit - I have been using one myself for a long time.

Caching can be a great educational tool for parents.  It can cover:

1 Sharing (taking one thing from a cache, leaving another),

2 Enviromental concern though 'Cache In Trash Out' - take a plastic grocery bag and pick up trash on the trail.

3 Orienteering/Compass usage

4 Wildlife obserservation/indentification

5 Discovery of new local places to walk you might have never see before

6 Hiking safety

7 Physical workout

8 Puzzle caches can be useful for critical thinking, maybe math (depending on the puzzle)

9 Map reading

and more

Another good thing to do is to get a small booklet on tree or plant identification. When my kids were small we always took one with us when camping or hiking and they loved being able to look at the leaves and identify the different trees. It would have been a great adjunct to geocaching - if only geocaching had existed then!

The most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!! I took my daughters fishing when they were young ( then they discovered boys...) I "forgot" my fishing rods and all, but always remembered to grab theirs. It is QUALITY of time NOT QUANITY!!! Oh, I can't wait to become granpa :blink:

and if she does not come around? Than this is a chance to have some getaway time. my wife think's I'm nuts. I chase trains, photograph trees, sunsets & rises, or anything that strikes my fancy. and she lets me buy the toys to do this. ( I have a really great wife of 25 years) she comes with me sometimes but I am solo mostly.

Edited by Lowsky

^

Like what he said...Getaway time. Discover the things around your own home/town. Some people who lived here most of their lives are unaware of some of the historical/botanical/mountainous wonders and just neat things that are right here in their backyard.

Observe and take pictures. You never know what you will see!

I just yesterday hid some unopened glowstiks in our back yard (5acres). I then let my 2 girls of 5 and 8 go find them with the GPS. They had great fun and are really learning the probs that come when close to the waypoints. We only have a 1/2 dozen finds under our belts but all are addicted. You'll have a blast, let the kids take turns on hunts with the GPS and I suggest keeping a log for "first one to pick"