Challenge 2006

GlobalRat

Excellent idea - I shall also try to get a cache or two approved. Shall we try to make a point of setting caches that all geocachers can find, rather than restricting them to premium members? Or are there valid reasons for the restrictions?

- XV Pilot

I’ve always had mixed feelings about these caches. On the one hand, it is a driver to get premium members and therefore reward GC financially for the fine job they do for hosting the sport. On the other hand it just doesn’t quite seem right, it is essentially a form of advertising (a very valid one) and I hate advertising so it always tastes a bit sour.

I’ve been a Premium member for over a year now, and did so of my own accord. I guess it was driven by a need for PQ’s and also I had no qualms about supporting GC for a nominal fee for the fine job they do.

I guess I’ve always viewed the members only caches as a cache that must have something really special for members. I’ve only ever done one which was in the UK…what a disappointment. Granted, one shouldn’t pull out the broad paintbrush coz of one experience, but nevertheless I thought it was really pointless.

I guess we have reached a point, certainly in the WC, where there are enough caches in an area which are “free” to get people interested, and they can then of their own accord become premium members if they wish to do the members only caches. I don’t think we want to see a sudden proliferation of members only caches, but certainly the odd one wouldn’t hurt. Personally I’d expect the caches to be something really special.

I’ve read Goofster’s reasoning for his cache, and it seems quite valid, for the moment anyway as there are only a handful of local Premium Members.

Anyway, back to the Challenge. No news from the usual suspects it seems.....

I think the challenge is a good idea, and I don't see why we can't aim for 1000. Let's aim high rather than low, and really put SA on the goecaching world map! And for non-members, I promise that the rest of my caches this year will be open to all. I'll even consider downgrading my members-only cache in a few months, if it's possible to do so.

Never knew that there are member only caches in SA! Anybody wants to tell us non-members how many there are and how are they distributed - all over the country like the free caches or only in Western Cape and Gauteng (like most of the free caches)?

The Challenge is on!!! I think a 1000 is a tall one, but reachable... And I agree about the archived ones ... and ones not archived that are not active - lost, stolen or whatever.

I've done my part already ... 2 in the first 2 weeks ... and another 4 prepared to be placed ... so watch out for them popping up. :laughing:

What about the Eastern Cape going for 50 or 60 of the 1000. <_<

About the members only-caches: As caches are few and far between in our neck of the woods, we allready have a higher cost factor (my nearest 1 was over 50kms and have already done it) - petrol is not cheap anymore... <_<

On the other hand: I don't deny GC a form of funding. So one has to balance the two...

Anyhow, no sport is cheap nowadays.

My 2c worth. Enjoy caching!!!

<snip> it's already difficult to find places in Cape Town, so creative thinking is the order of the day!! <snip>

oooooo....WHAT... try JHB/PTA if you think Cape Town is a challenge....

Well it seems there is great keenness for the challenge... will set up the pages shortly and move the 2005 pages to keep for reference.

oooooo....WHAT... try JHB/PTA if you think Cape Town is a challenge....

Thats telling them, Globalrat!

I have a number of places I still want to hide caches in Cape Town, but i am hesitant to place 2 of them them, because they are even scarier than Frodo's Journey - not that frodo's Journey is in the slightest bit scary actually.

True enough, it is nice if the cloak-and-dagger approach isn't needed too often. Although in some cases dodging the muggles can form part of the challenge, and thence the fun, of the cache. I had quite a lot of fun hunting Goofster's "Return to Isengard" for this very reason.

- XV Pilot

Just for fun added some graphs to the Challenge web Page, some samples:-

graph1.gif

graph3.gif

As a belated forum attendee (I only started looking at the forums at the urging of Seeker Two today - thanks Seeker) - herewith my two cents worth.

Looking at the graphs - 1 000 (did I understand "new" or is it in total?) - caches seem to be an unobtainable challenge? I will certainly do my bit - I have a cache ready and I am following the route of obtaining formal permission to place it. No harm in placing the "bar" high up I guess - there are no penalties for us not making it. I do support logic and reasonableness however - caution/conservatism is justified?

On the premium member front - I feel that it is only fair to contribute to an organisation that is providing computer resources and helping me to have so much fun/frustration. If we can encourage others to join to the benfit of us all then I say go for premium member caches! I have seen a cache stripped of its contents with a weak excuse - can being a premium member help to tacitly encourage adherence to an acceptable code of conduct? (You gets what you pays for and if it is cheap then there is no motivation to look after it....)

Enough said for today! Regards to all.

<snip>

Looking at the graphs - 1 000 (did I understand "new" or is it in total?) - caches seem to be an unobtainable challenge? I will certainly do my bit - I have a cache ready and I am following the route of obtaining formal permission to place it. No harm in placing the "bar" high up I guess - there are no penalties for us not making it. I do support logic and reasonableness however - caution/conservatism is justified?

<snip>

In total. There's a cumulative graph as well showing the target and where we are, but haven't had an opportunity to add it to the page yet.

Just a target for us to strive towards, no prizes or wooden spoons. Always keeping in mind it's not just about the numbers, the quality of the caches must be maintained.

Your cumulative chart shows caches at 900. Has SA hit that mark or are we a few short? Looks like 1000 is very much acheivable in 2006 by this chart. Does this reflect active or total caches in SA?

Note: Caching in Cape Town is on a definate upswing, confirmed by mutiple parties. New teams/cachers and lots of new city caches being placed of recent. Well done everyone. Keep them high quality and coming strong. :laughing:

Edited by vespaxvespa

Your cumulative chart shows caches at 900. Has SA hit that mark or are we a few short? Looks like 1000 is very much acheivable in 2006 by this chart. Does this reflect active or total caches in SA?

As at the last update we were on 887 with 50 caches as unavailable, so effectively there are only 837 active caches. See the stats table to get the breakdown. The graph shows total caches, excluding Event and CITO’s. SA is currently on 900 including Event and CITO caches. As I need to add provincial data, will always be a day or so behind GC.com. I typically update the stats about 3 times a week depending on activity. However, work and a short break intervened.

Seems we may need to adjust the target. Good effort by everyone! There has been mention of 1500, any other renewed targets anyone wants to propose?

FYI. In 2005, 323 new caches had been created by year end. To date in 2006, we are already on 336 new caches.

Almost there.

Currently on 998 listed caches. 2 however are event caches, the CITO hasn't been archived yet, and there's an upcoming event in June.

That leaves 996, of these, there are 50 that are currently "Unavailable".

So some work to do on the unavailables, but all in all a stirling effort for the first half of the year.

Who would have imagined.

Based on historic trends we may be following a 2002 profile, but plenty has changed in our world since then.

Will set the revised target of 1500.

Cache on.

I read that Bosveldklong placed #1000 - Port Alfred Pass-by - congrats!

Strictly speaking not true, but hey Bosveldklong and the rest of us can drink an extra cold one and celebrate....let me not dilute a fantastic milestone in reaching the 1000th "Active" cache in SA.

The oldest surviving cache in SA is of course still Sentinel View (WC).

The first placed seems to have been GCZA01 (NW) which sadly didn't last long...perhaps a memorial cache should be placed there if the area is still accessible? GPSFrodo?

Incidentally, GPSFrodo, the placer of that cache also seems to be the first South African cacher to have signed up as the 1828th member of Geocaching.com. Just some more trivia, the 700000th member joined last week, 6 years on.

Well done to everyone. Let's see how the second half of 2006 goes.

I've also added the target tally which excludes the unavailable caches from the count, sadly still hovering around the 50 mark, so here's hoping we can get some of those cleaned up as well, not to mention a handful which should sadly be archived or hopefully adopted. :)

KEEP CACHING!

Strictly speaking not true, but hey Bosveldklong and the rest of us can drink an extra cold one and celebrate....let me not dilute a fantastic milestone in reaching the 1000th "Active" cache in SA.

Hi GR,

Who then? :) This would be a good entry into The Hall of Fame!

Thanks for the stats!

Hi GR,

Who then? :) This would be a good entry into The Hall of Fame!

Thanks for the stats!

Unfortunately don't know. Haven't kept record of all the archived caches since day dot, always deleted them. Have only kept track of archived caches in 2006 due to the Travel Bug Race and the numbered listing is currently on 1013 caches. There were 50 odd caches archived last year, so we may be looking in the region of 1100 all time caches in ZA. Have requested the information from GC, so will see whether it is available and let you know.

My maths says that makes 950 active caches

Tramper, I agree, but who wants to deny an opportunity to open a bottle of bubbly :)

This is also why I used the term "Active". It was termed this way in the 2005 Provincial Challenge where it included Available and Unavailable caches excluding Events and CITO's and it's never changed.

I've included a separate "To Target" value on the stats overview page, one includes unavailable caches, the other excludes it.

So strictly speaking, yes we still have 50 to go. :D

Ok so now we have the maths out of the way :)

As far as the milestone of placing the 1000th cache goes, I think that we would have to exclude all the events and look strictly at caches placed and the 1000th cache certainly deserves to be acknowledged.

Please keep us posted when you here from GC.com :D

Please keep us posted when you here from GC.com <_<

Well, I can tell you the following so far. 1243 caches have been submitted to date for SA.

I still need to filter out the caches which were never published (plenty), a manual process I’m afraid so you will have to bear with me for a few days. Also, will need to figure out the true submission date as opposed to the “placed date” which a cache owner can enter freely. This needs to be determined from the WPT ID, but I suspect that the logic has changed over time, so this may not be a simple task.

Also, the actual 1000th cache may change over time. Let me explain using an example. Bloggs submits a cache which happens to be submission 1000 (WPTID: GC1000). This is not approved due to Bloggs not fully. Madge submits a listing (GC1001) which is listed, and therefore Madge’s listing “officially” becomes the 1000th listing. 4 months later, Bloggs puts in some effort and corrects his blunder and the cache is now approved. So, now according to WPT ID, Bloggs’ cache now becomes the “official” 1000th cache and so on.

This scenario does happen quite frequently.