Mapsource And Gpx

scole

I have mapsource mertoguide usa and the topo package. How do I get my GPX files into Mapsource. It won't let me import them and they need to be converted. What should I use to convert these because I dont want to have to name every cache. I have found a few converters but none work right. What should I use??

Where do you get your GPX files in the first place? If you're saving them from EasyGPS, or your program works like that one, I may know what the problem is. Even the newest MapSource Beta wouldn't load EasyGPS's GPX files for me. I did some investigating and found that if I edited out all lines in EasyGPS's output GPX file that began with the characters "<url" (there were two such lines, occuring in pairs, for each waypoint), MapSource loaded the file just fine. (I also had to change the <type> and </type> specifiers to <sym> and </sym> to get MapSource to show the waypoint symbols correctly.) I don't know if that's what's causing your problem or not, but I thought I'd mention it. (In case that's your problem and you're interested, I wrote a program to automatically fix it.)

Edited by ghs

Open a file in Mapsource and then click on "View" ....look at bottom item under view.

Yes, very neat to 'fly' along above your tracklog from a hike or bike ride. The 'play' view seems to stay about 2400' above ground level and follows your track. It can start to make you dizzy when viewing a track on switchbacks or a winding mountain road.

First thing is to make sure to go to the Garmin website and get the latest Mapsource upgrade. Once you have that, you should be able to open the .gpx files that you get from the website here. I believe the latest Mapsource is version 6.9.1.

Rich;)

Where do you get gpx files from this website? :laughing:

Where do you get your GPX files in the first place? If you're saving them from EasyGPS, or your program works like that one, I may know what the problem is. Even the newest MapSource Beta wouldn't load EasyGPS's GPX files for me. I did some investigating and found that if I edited out all lines in EasyGPS's output GPX file that began with the characters "<url" (there were two such lines, occuring in pairs, for each waypoint), MapSource loaded the file just fine. (I also had to change the <type> and </type> specifiers to <sym> and </sym> to get MapSource to show the waypoint symbols correctly.) I don't know if that's what's causing your problem or not, but I thought I'd mention it. (In case that's your problem and you're interested, I wrote a program to automatically fix it.)

This was fixed in EasyGPS 2.0

http://www.easygps.com/latest.asp