Stealing Ideas

nielsenc

As everyone knows, there are lots of coins coming out. Sometimes, you will see the same idea come out and think someone is ‘stealing’ their idea. I don’t think this is the case. If you think long enough, you could most likely come up with the same idea. Some people post pre-art work while others don’t post anything until the coin is in hand and ready to ship.

So if you see the ‘same’ thing coming out, don’t be upset.

Looking forward to more coins!!!

nielsenc

As everyone knows, there are lots of coins coming out. Sometimes, you will see the same idea come out and think someone is ‘stealing’ their idea. I don’t think this is the case. If you think long enough, you could most likely come up with the same idea. Some people post pre-art work while others don’t post anything until the coin is in hand and ready to ship.

So if you see the ‘same’ thing coming out, don’t be upset.

Looking forward to more coins!!!

ChileHead

When I saw the lowracer coin my first thought was..."hey, that guy stole my idea". Then I saw that his coin went public before mine and I thought..."I hope he doesn't think I stole his idea".

The truth is....we all stole Moun10bikes idea.

Edited by BadAndy

I don't mind if folks steal my idea of a dogbone-shaped coin --- just don't steal my idea for a round one!

When I created the geobone idea -- I did so with the intention of having something unique that represented my caching name. The dogbone shape was not new -- the idea of using it for a geo-"coin" was.

If someone also created another dogbone shaped coin, I wouldn't be upset -- in fact, it would make my "first" geobone even more unique -- because it was an inspiration to others. There are two coins that have images in which my geobone is represented! (look for them -- one is on a cow and the other is on a christmas tree) -- I am flattered! (although some say flatulent)

Sometimes ideas happen at the same time in isolation -- for example, I have long had the idea to create a 4 or 5 coin series that were all pieces that fit together -- a puzzle coin. Now, several folks are creating just such a beast. New idea? nope -- where do you think the term "pieces of eight" came from? Or the idea of long separeated siblings each with half of a photo, etc, etc.

Interesting, someone talks about making benchmark coins in the forums and guess what comes out of Kirkland, Washington?

Yes, made for ebay coins is what will happen as long as people give out their ideas in the threads.

Just so you two know, the coins from Kirkland were in the design process over 2 months ago.

Howzabout getting all the information before you start making accusations?

Interesting, someone talks about making benchmark coins in the forums and guess what comes out of Kirkland, Washington?

Yes, made for ebay coins is what will happen as long as people give out their ideas in the threads.

Just so you two know, the coins from Kirkland were in the design process over 2 months ago.

Howzabout getting all the information before you start making accusations?

Well sorry to Kirkland if he still comes to the forums. Are they only being sold on E***?

Benchmark coins are not new. someone just put the word geocoin on something that has been done for a while.

nielsenc

ps dont steal my post ;)

I'm making benchmark pins. Pins are cool. You know you like them. Pins are great swag (better than coins, because you don't feel bad when you leave them in a cache). :P

You know you want to make some pins.

--Marky ;)

No the benchmark and coin is a old idea.

I have photo's of USAgeocoins at benchmarks going back to 2002.

I have pictures and logs of My Geocoins from Monticello to Pompey's Pillar.

Since my forte is the benchmarking almost all the coins I have found in caches visit a benchmark.

I would like to see some inexspensive benchmark buttons.

I really had to work at getting the benchmark coin for my 1000th find.

I just need to get a few more benchmarks to reach that goal,but my prize is waiting.

Almost all the benchmarkers would like something like it too.

It would be good swag for trading at benchmark events and other events.

And for those of ya that traded with me for the Strawberry coin.

1 is with a USAGeocoin in the hands of Dave Doyle, daved,NGS Geodisist.

Benchmark-coins.......

It was traded to him at the Benchmark event starting the Signature event of the Lewis and Clark 200th anniversary.

He traded me a real signature(benchmark)disc 3" for them.

The second event we traded pins.

I got my NGS NOAA pin.

As for spinning coins,I already have 2.

1 from Plymouth Rock when we were geocaching in 2003 and one from Indiana from the same vacation geocaching trip.

I traded a geocacher(Lazylightning) one of the Plymouth Rock for a Lewis and Clark signature coin at MOGA last year.

We are all captalizing on Old Ideas.

There is nothing new under the Sun.

I would like to see some inexspensive benchmark buttons.

I really had to work at getting the benchmark coin for my 1000th find.

I just need to get a few more benchmarks to reach that goal,but my prize is waiting.

Almost all the benchmarkers would like something like it too.

It would be good swag for trading at benchmark events and other events.

I have a bunch in the works and they should be very reasonably priced. :D I like pins. Pins are cool. :rolleyes:

--Marky

I think this is the thread

Benchmark Geocoin

Of course I stole the idea. All great ideas are stolen. It was more of a joke, making fun of those paying $30+ for a single coin on eBay or everyone that seems to have an endless supply of cash to mint all these crazy coins. I'm glad someone took it seriously. Wouldn't it be awesome at your next coin meeting to have someone pull out a big 4 inch, 2 pound benchmark and say, "want to trade?"

^^ike

Wouldn't it be awesome at your next coin meeting to have someone pull out a big 4 inch, 2 pound benchmark and say, "want to trade?"

ROTFL :rolleyes:

Iv'e seen the size/weight of some of those coin bags at the events. Somehow, it really wouldn't surprise me to see that happen.

Friv

Wouldn't it be awesome at your next coin meeting to have someone pull out a big 4 inch, 2 pound benchmark and say, "want to trade?"

ROTFL :rolleyes:

Iv'e seen the size/weight of some of those coin bags at the events. Somehow, it really wouldn't surprise me to see that happen.

Friv

what about one of these 'coins'

270.jpg

its a manhole cover. some were sold on e....

Edited by nielsenc

ROTFL ^_^

Friv

what about one of these 'coins'

270.jpg

its a manhole cover. some were sold on e....

That's awesome - we've got those laying around all town. No one will miss them right? Shipping would kill you though. :D

^^ike

It's only a matter of time before someone says something about the fact that there are two film canister coins out right now.

The Hides and Finds coin is different from the other film canister coin but a film canister is a film canister is a film canister. Just like a vase is a vase is a vase.

There are going to be 12 Hides and Finds coins in the series and they are all designed at this point in time. They've not been made public but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two other coin crafters don't come up with the same ideas as I did. It's bound to happen.

It's only a matter of time before someone says something about the fact that there are two film canister coins out right now.

The Hides and Finds coin is different from the other film canister coin but a film canister is a film canister is a film canister. Just like a vase is a vase is a vase.

There are going to be 12 Hides and Finds coins in the series and they are all designed at this point in time. They've not been made public but I wouldn't be surprised if one or two other coin crafters don't come up with the same ideas as I did. It's bound to happen.

Our V.1 came out last november and V.2 trackable on GC.com comes out next week. I take it you will do an Ammo can as well. Of course those were done by the GCC. Marky did his Nano coin. I expect others to do coins based on caches. Maybe you should just publish all the ones which will be done, at least the A side :unsure:. Allow us traders to look forward to them.

I will trade my LE for your LE :blink:.

nielsenc

Was thinking about a coin that would work like those "Transfomers" did....you know, you push and twist the thing and it turns into something else? You could make a coin that starts out round....but then turns into a pyramid..........or a GC.com logo?

Think of the possibilities........better than a pile of sh*t........

Did I say that?........... ;):unsure::blink:;)

ROTFL :unsure:

Friv

I don't know what you are talking about Friv. My bag is light as a feather.

Was thinking about a coin that would work like those "Transfomers" did....you know, you push and twist the thing and it turns into something else? You could make a coin that starts out round....but then turns into a pyramid..........or a GC.com logo?

Think of the possibilities........better than a pile of sh*t........

Did I say that?........... wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

or a puzzle coin like a rubics cube..a simple one..coordinates in the pieces have to solve to get a new set of coordinates for a ftf...place it in one cache to find another..i don't know why i thought of this i have never solved a rubic cube in my life.. :unsure:

Maybe you should just publish all the ones which will be done, at least the A side :unsure:. Allow us traders to look forward to them.

Sorry, but the group has asked that the coins not be made public until they are in their hands.

All I can say is that there are 12 coins in the series. A typical cache and a typical cache location.