Sirfiii Models And New X Series

sboutang

Has anyone used one of the SiRFIII models? I am told that the Nuvi has this chip. Now that Garmin has announced the X series I don't know if I can justify the $160 extra between the ledgendCx and the 60Cx. I was holding off on the ledgendC because of the memory limitation, I know there are other features of the 60 series (more waypoints better antenna/external jack and serial) but those aren't a big deal to me. I have only tried these units in a parking lot so I have been unable to tell the difference between the antenna on the 60C and the LedgendC. I have read on this forum some saying that the ledgendC has better Rx than the 60C and others say the 60C has better Rx. I am wondering if the SiRF chip is really worth the extra $$$, since I haven't used either of the current units under heavy tree cover, I am worried that if I buy the LedgendCx will it work when I am out in the woods hunting and hiking sometimes under what I would call heavy tree cover.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 but have not used it in any type of cacheing environment like tree cover. In my house though (with a metal tile roof), I am able to lock onto at least 5 sats and get a 3D lock consistently. This is something I have never been able to do before with any unit I've owned (and I've owned many). I believe these new SiRF III based units wll outperform pretty much anything out there...and hopefully in the area that needs improvement on all units (tree cover).

I am wondering if the SiRF chip is really worth the extra $$$, since I haven't used either of the current units under heavy tree cover, I am worried that if I buy the LedgendCx will it work when I am out in the woods hunting and hiking sometimes under what I would call heavy tree cover.

I think you will rarely actually lose reception, you will just get bad accuracy at some spots. And if you absolutely must know your current location, holding the GPS above your head, or wandering around a bit will get you a good fix eventually.

The difference is that you don't usually have to make an effort with the Sirf III. And that it will acquire the first fix very quickly after turning on the GPS -- which is a big deal when you get back to your car in an unknown city, and you don't want to sit around waiting a minute to finally figure out which way to turn at the parking lot exit.

Here is my unscientific comparison of the performance of a Sirf III bluetooth gps and a 60cs (these track logs were done under rather heavy foliage on mostly north-facing, steep mountain sides):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=1763378

Edited by kerecsen