Freezing Temperatures And Gps Lcd Screens

I remember once reading that common LCD displays shouldnt be put into freezing condidtions as they would distroy the liquid in the display. It appears now that a couple of yellow etrex's may have been improperly stored for the winter months at a summer camp I was working at.

Is it likely that they will survive the winter? They would have been stored inside a building and wouldnt have come into contact with snow or water directly (I hope).

The area the camp was in was about 2 hours out of NY and near the cat skill mountains.

Keep your fingers crossed, or better yet rescue them. A cold snap below -30°F or so could permanently damage the LCD's. Although I THINK monochrome screens are less likely to be damaged, compared to color ones. I have SEEN a commercial color LCD display damaged at -40°F in a test. It wasn't pretty.

It's just the temperature, not snow, ice, or whatever, and of course, the infamous "wind chill factor" is irrelevant.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama
I remember once reading that common LCD displays shouldnt be put into freezing condidtions as they would distroy the liquid in the display. It appears now that a couple of yellow etrex's may have been improperly stored for the winter months at a summer camp I was working at.

Is it likely that they will survive the winter? They would have been stored inside a building and wouldnt have come into contact with snow or water directly (I hope).

The area the camp was in was about 2 hours out of NY and near the cat skill mountains.

I wouldn't worry about it in the Catskills...-20 is extremely rare for that area, and even if it did go that low, averaged out with the daytime highs, I doubt the inside of the building would get anywhere near the outside low.

I would doubt that you unit would be ruined though all liquids will eventually freeze at some point. The biggest issue is the amount of power required to drive the screen. Generally, the lower the temperature the greater the voltage required to drive the screen. At some point, and it will be in your manual, you'll hit the operating limit which really means the voltage available can't drive the screen. Warm it up and the batteries will be able to drive the screen again.

JDandDD

I have left my GPS III+ out in the vehicle in all sorts of temperatures, never a problem with the LCD. I don't think it's ever been exposed to freezing temps lower than - 15 F in all that time. When the GPS does chill to below freezing temps the screen might display dimly, or not at all until it warms up. Even then it might be slow until the innards warm up more.