The Nature Conservancy

jackratt

I know of a really nice trail that I'd like to investigate putting a cache or two along. I see the trail is owned and/or maintained by The Nature Conservancy. Before I contact them I thought I'd check and see if anyone has had previous experience (good or bad) in getting approvals from them to place caches.

I know of a really nice trail that I'd like to investigate putting a cache or two along. I see the trail is owned and/or maintained by The Nature Conservancy. Before I contact them I thought I'd check and see if anyone has had previous experience (good or bad) in getting approvals from them to place caches.

Unless things have changed, they usually don't allow caches on their land. But I still admire their conservation philosophy.

There's one that exists on their land in my area and I understand they were welcoming of the cache. One of the most beautiful areas I've visited while caching was on Conservancy land. I would assume they were also able to obtain permission to place the cache relatively easy as well. Although their family had originally owned the property and donated it to the Conservancy.

I think you're just going to have to ask. There's NC land here in Florida that is closed to the public, if you want to see it, you have to volunteer for work parties (mostly invasive plant removal). And there's land that has trails and is generally available for recreational users. So it depends. If there's an open trail there now, the odds are better for allowing a geocache.

We have a cache placed in a conservancy. We really stressed CITO when asking for permission. We are supposed to hold a CITO event there this spring. Take one of the brochures along when speaking to them, visuals are always good. They will probably have lots of questions for you, be sure you know what you are talking about before hand. Be sure to tell them that gc.com has regulations pertaining to damaging wildlife. Always stress that cachers are extremely nature-friendly people. Our experience with land managers have all been positive, in this instance they were even excited about taking part in the game.

Goodluck!

I had understood they have a blanket prohibition of caches.

From these posts I am glad to hear that could be wrong. Their lands are often truly beautiful and unique.

Their overall policy, as i understand it, is to buy land and deed it to local jurisdictions for management as public park land. It then would follow that the local jurisdiction would determine their own rules.

Don't hurt to ask. Worst they can say is no.

I work with a number of TNC staff on non-geocaching issues and we discussed this matter last year. Their organization has no nationwide policy either for or against caching. And they don't seem to want to create one, either. I was told that the best bet is to contact the local land manager and work things out with them. Some managers are all for it and other managers will confiscate and dispose of any caches they find. Many of them have geocaching accounts just to keep an eye on their properties. If you submit a cache on TNC property make sure to include a reviewer note affirming that you received permission for the cache.

All good information and suggestions, thanks to everyone. The trail in question is relatively new and a bit out of the way. I wondered if having caches there would increase awareness of the trail and the area. The web page for the trail encourages visiting the trail and stresses keeping the area as pristine as possible. Good idea to stress CITO.

I found e-mails for local and state contacts so I think I'll drop them a line and see if there's someone with authority that I can talk to about this.

I don't know about their geocache policy, but i donate to their great cuase every year...and they always seem friendly.

conincidence, an hour ago I was reading in Newsweek about how the head guy is peeling off hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for his personal benefit.

Might want to look for another charity. :rolleyes:

I don't know about their geocache policy, but i donate to their great cuase every year...and they always seem friendly.

conincidence, an hour ago I was reading in Newsweek about how the head guy is peeling off hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for his personal benefit.

Might want to look for another charity. :unsure:

Isn't that old news? That came out back in 2003.

Are you reading this in a dentist office? :laughing:

Edited by Prime Suspect

He wasn't exactly "peeling off" money. He had a very generous compensation package that raised some eyebrows. And Prime Suspect is right, that this came to light in 2003.

They've protected over 100 million acres of land since their inception, so they will continue to get my money no matter how well the man at the top is paid.

BTW, big charities like the Nature Conservancy, Red Cross, etc.... handle many millions of dollars. If you want competent people to run them, you have to pay them well, because they can easily make a lot more money in the private sector. It galls me when I hear people say "I'm not giving to that charity, because their president made xxxx dollars last year".

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

I'll follow up Brian's mild diversion by pointing out that TNC gets an A- from the American Institute of Philanthropy's charitywatch.org website. This means that they put 75% or more towards program cost while generally spending $25 or less to raise $100.

Caches on not, I'll support their important mission, but please do contact the local managers for permission to hide your cache there. And if you are denied permission, perhaps there is a way to bring cachers to this neat location by making it an offset or multi and hiding the final container outside of the protected area.

Might want to look for another charity. ;)

Isn't that old news? That came out back in 2003.

Are you reading this in a dentist office? ;)

The story may have started 2 years ago, but the dec 19, 2005 Time has more on it. Had been reading both magazines yesterday & see now it's in Time.

The stench doesn't seem to go away :P

The story may have started 2 years ago, but the dec 19, 2005 Time has more on it. Had been reading both magazines yesterday & see now it's in Time.

The stench doesn't seem to go away

The Dec 19 Time article that I read was about how the IRS is dealing with large charities. Of a 3 page article, there was one paragraph about the 2003 disclosure of TNC's compensation package for its CEO. The second paragraph detailed the two years of work they've done since to tighten up their accountability with regards to this. Most of it voluntary because there was no actual impropriety, but they want to avoid the appearance of one.

Its old news and for you to imply that there are continuing issues is unfair to an organization that does wonderful work.

Edited by briansnat