Magellan Woes

I have a Magaellan SportTrack Pro that I have been using for over 3 years. It has always been very reliable until this summer. During a trip to CA (no jokes please!), I started having problems getting a good "read". I would get to what I thought was ground zero but not find the cache. Then I would move around, and when I returned to the original spot, I could be 30 feet or more off. Because this was a new phenomenon, I thought maybe it had something to do with the location (again, no jokes), but ever since then, I have had the same problems no matter where I am.

Does my gps need antipsychotic medication?

how many sats did you have a lock on?

And how long is your receiver on before you go caching? On your trip to CA, it may have still be looking for satellites based on the almanac for the location you were at previous to the trip to CA.

An eXplorist manual says

When to use Restart GPS:

• When the eXplorist has been moved more then 500 miles (804.67 km) while turned off.

That applies to all receivers.

Maybe you just need to "bake" your receiver by letting it sit outside in an area with a good view of the sky for 30 mins.

I have a Sportrak Map that exhibited similar problems. Lost satellite lock, the satellite page would go blank, the EPE would jump to numbers in the 500-600 foot range, and so on.

I tried the Magellan website suggestion of a software upgrade, that was no help, and in fact seemed to make matters worse. I tried going back to the previous software, also no help.

I even sent the unit to Magellan for service. They said they installed a new satellite almanac and that should have fixed the problem.

Nope.

So I made the only solution I could think of. I bought another brand's GPSr.

Started with a Lowrance, didn't like it and returned it.

Now the very happy owner of a Garmin 60C. Fits my hand like a glove, seems well behaved with satellite locks and is just a nice unit to have.

Now just trying to figure out if I should by City Navigator or City Select.