What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Bluejaytoo

I know the whole "What's in your pack?" subject has been covered ad nauseum, but I haven't found any threads specific to what's in the first aid kit. I'm never satisfied with those prepackaged kits; so do any of you have a custom one you've put together, and what's in it? I haven't put one together yet, but so far my partial list is:

Band Aids

Peroxide

Alcohol Swabs

Ace Bandage

Gauze

Tape

Scissors

Tweezers/forceps (for ticks, splinters)

CalaGel or Tecnu (for poison plants)

After Bite (for insect stings)

Ace Bandage

Space Blanket

Latex gloves

Bluejaytoo, is that kit for yourself or a "family" kit to take care of owies? I ask because I recently reorganized my kit to eliminate all of the minor-cut/scrape bandaids and ointments. I used the room that freed up to add some extra hand-sanitizer wipes, insect-repellent wipes (in season), chapstick, and sun-block.

It's not that bandaids weigh much or take up excess room, they're just clutter.

I made the change after I realized that I have never bothered to put a bandaid on a minor cut or scrape while out on a dayhike. I just clean them and apply pressure until they stop bleeding (if necessary). Usually, by the time I do get home, I find that a clean, sealed cut doesn't need a bandaid anyhow.

If you're looking after kids, the bandaids and ointments are probably a good idea.

Antiseptic wipes, a bandana, bug juice, tweezers, a tiny bottle of baby powder, a thin menstrual pad (great, clean bandages for big scrapes), 3 butterfly bandaids, a packet of Emergen-C, a double shot of scotch, some duct tape and a couple of the green velcro strips that come with lettuce. I use all those supplies regularly enough that they've earned their space in my pack. I used to carry all the doo-dads but found that I just don't use them. Whenever possible, anything I plan to carry/propel very far should serve more than one purpose. Keeps the pack/kayak tidy and light.

The basics:

Duct tape, toilet paper, neosporin, purell, benadryl, advil, compeed blister pads, tweezers (better ones than on my pocket knife), and an ace bandage. Sometimes baby wipes and Zanfel (where poison oak is problematic).

Duct tape & toilet paper form a good bandaid, which actually sticks to skin.

That got us through a 2000-mile backpacking trip this past summer and only added a couple ounces to the backpack.

I also bring Benadryl. It helps for bug bites and reactions to plants.

Thanks for reminding me! I've been meaning to add that to my FAK pharmacy. I understand that the pills can be crushed to make a paste for treating rashes, ingested for more general allergy symptoms (hayfever), and used as a sleep aid should circumstances strand you in the boonies overnight. Right now all I have are a few aspirin and Ibuprofen.

I know the whole "What's in your pack?" subject has been covered ad nauseum, but I haven't found any threads specific to what's in the first aid kit. I'm never satisfied with those prepackaged kits; so do any of you have a custom one you've put together, and what's in it? I haven't put one together yet, but so far my partial list is:

Band Aids

Peroxide

Alcohol Swabs

Ace Bandage

Gauze

Tape

Scissors

Tweezers/forceps (for ticks, splinters)

CalaGel or Tecnu (for poison plants)

After Bite (for insect stings)

Ace Bandage

Space Blanket

Latex gloves

I have most of that. The space blanket goes with my survival stuff though and not in my first aid kit.

In addition to what you have listed, I have aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofin, Immodium and antihistimine tablets as well as a tube of Aquaphor ointment. Though I don't have one, I know some people who also carry a SAM Splint.

Edited by briansnat

In response to Mule Ears' question, it's pretty much a kit to cover whomever may need it, including anyone I happen upon along the way. As a first responder, I've often thought I should be a little better prepared. (Sorry to say, I don't even have a first aid kit at the moment.) I haven't decided, but depending on the size, it'll either be with me in my pack, or kept in the Jeep with all my other survival goodies. Good point, Brian, on the drugs, I'll add them to my list. I do normally have some aspirin in the Jeep, not everyone sees it as the cure-all that I do. :laughing: And I think a SAM Splint would be good to have in the Jeep as well.

I normally cache with a fanny pack, and found the following fits into one of its pockets quite nicely:

• Ace bandage
  • Moleskin
  • Assorted band-aids (regular, tiny, knuckle)
  • Butterfly bandages
  • Gauze pads (mix of 1x2, 2x3, 4x4)
  • 1" gauze wrap
  • Small tube of neosporin
  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Nail clippers
  • Scissors
  • Tweezers

During warmer weather I'd have allergy pills and Sting-Eze/Afterbite in there too, but pollen and insects really aren't much of a concern in New England this time of year.

Most of the above is based on things that have happened to me more than once - minor injuries, but a background annoyance if untreated - the splinter or torn fingernail that catches on every frigging object for the rest of the afternoon, the scraped knuckle that I keep reopening while searching among the rocks. They're not particularly dangerous - just take some of the fun out of the hunt. I bring them along since they only take up a little space and can keep me happy and chipper.

A few things (ace, butterflies, larger pads) are there for dealing with events that aren't common, but where I've had close calls with the potential to really suck - an awkward slip on a leaf-strewn hill that could have led to a strain/sprain, misjudging a slope and tumbling arse-over-teakettle off my mtn bike, sitting down on a rock outcrop and noticing the shard of broken glass half an inch from my hand, etc. So far I've escaped with nothing worse than bruises to my ego (and a few of my softer body parts :laughing:). If something serious happens the caching day's most likely over right then and there, so I'll settle for getting the sprain wrapped or the cut butterflied/bandaged good enough that I can limp (or send a co-cacher) back to the Jeep for the more serious first aid kit.

Side note: It just struck me that I've dedicated more space in my pack to cache repair supplies than I have to human repair supplies. :unsure:

I'd suggest that you add something like Pepto Bismal or Immodium AD to take care of upset stomaches. Also if you require any specialized meds, for example if someone is allegic to bee stings, add those as well.

I carry a small assortment of bandaids and gauze pads, 2% iodine(disinfects water and wounds), Immodium AD, trial size bottle of hand disinfectant, and moleskin. I haveyet to use any of this on myself, but I have handed out band aids to a couple of people with kids.

I've always thought about carrying morphine on long camping/canoeing/geocaching trips. Sometimes we go camping in wilderness areas that could take several hours to a day to get out of. If someone broke their leg or foot, the shock of the pain could cause serious problems. Has anyone ever considered a strong pain killer for their first aid kit? Just curious ...

I've always thought about carrying morphine on long camping/canoeing/geocaching trips. Sometimes we go camping in wilderness areas that could take several hours to a day to get out of. If someone broke their leg or foot, the shock of the pain could cause serious problems. Has anyone ever considered a strong pain killer for their first aid kit? Just curious ...

On multi day wilderness trips I have taken stronger pain meds and antibiotics.

What I take with me on everyday trips:

Toilet Paper

Baby Wipes

Hand Sanitizer

Biodegradable soap

Iodine

Duct tape

Mini multi tool

New Skin - antiseptic liquid bandage

Cold and Sinus med with antihistamine

Tagamet

Immodium AD