English And Welsh Geocoins

Learned Gerbil,

I suspect that comment was also made in jest.

Martin

If it were accompanied in by a smily like mine I am sure I would have laughed. As it is it is a direct accusation. If the original poster is able to confirm that it was meant in jest, that will of course be the end of the matter.

Please can we keep on topic

The WELSH coin shows Welsh Influences and had input by Welsh members of the group

I rather like the design especially the castle shape, at least the rugby/mining symbolism has been avoided. :rolleyes:

Just out of interest who were the Welsh members who helped to design this?

Nice job anyway.

As I do the invoicing for the club I contacted only members who have Welsh addresses and asked them for input. There may be other Welsh members who I did not contact but that is strictly because of their mailing addresses...for that I will apologize, but I never asked as it is/was not a requirement for joining the coin club.

I will not give out names without their permission. Whether or not they choose to do so is up to them. If it is required by higher-ups such as moderators or the powers that be for confirmation purposes we will gladly do so.

Sorry but I do feel it is up to them to come forward or not.

Lynn

As I do the invoicing for the club  I contacted  only members who have Welsh addresses and asked them for input.  There may be other Welsh members who I did not contact  but that is strictly because of their mailing addresses...for that I will apologize, but I never asked as it is/was not a requirement for joining the coin club.

I will not give out names without their permission.  Whether or not they choose to do so is up to them.  If it is required by higher-ups such as moderators or the powers that be for confirmation purposes  we will gladly do so.

Sorry but I do feel it is up to them to come forward or not.

Lynn

I only enquired as I know quite a lot of the South Wales geocachers and as I will probably be meeting a lot of them later this month I would have liked to have congratulated them on their design if they were envolved. I'm sure if any had had any input they will be delighted to say so. I wasn't asking for any dark purpose or anything. :rolleyes:

Learned Gerbil,

I suspect that comment was also made in jest.

Martin

If it were accompanied in by a smily like mine I am sure I would have laughed. As it is it is a direct accusation. If the original poster is able to confirm that it was meant in jest, that will of course be the end of the matter.

I unreservedly withdraw the comment it was a jest which was obviously taken in a spirit that I did not intend

Bob

Is it too late to question the design of the English coin? While I'd like one or two I'm a bit concerned that it seems to be dominated by the "3 Lions" of the England football team's Logo/Flag rather than the St George's flag of England.

What was the thinking here?

I'm afraid that if you check into history you will find that the three lions were not invented by any football team, rugby team etc. etc. etc. The banner of England has been the 3 lions since late in King Richard I reign where they formed part of his royal seal against a red background. Thus this symbol is far more English in nature than the overrated sport of kicking a pig's bladder into an onion net

:laughing::unsure::ph34r:

Martin

edited for spelling

Edited by Team Maddie UK

I would just like to clear up that I have had it confirmed that their is going to be a Scottish Geocoin. Done by GCcoins.

As I was not aware of this, and P&T and others were, when this thread was started, and with the UK Geocoin group representing the United Kingdom, I would hope people can understand were I was coming from?

You must also remember that the group started off with the St. George's flag as the groups symbol, until I piped up.

It would have been nice to have had all the facts at the beginning? But I do apologise for starting the nationalistic debate, but I am sure the reasonable people out there can understand why I said something?

I now wish as the others have stated that this thread stays on topic.

i assume the three lions refers to the ancient royal banner of england, which is three lions. That was how I interpreted it anyhow! By the same token, scotland could have a single lion rampent. thats a different topic though!

The three lions and the lion rampant of Scotland are of course symbols of the relevant royal houses and technically not the symbols of the nations themselves. Compare the Royal Standard and the Union Flag to see what I mean.

Richard I was of course the Duke of Normandy (on his father's side) and Duke of Aquitaine (on his mother's) when he adopted the three lions as his personal standard.

At the time the ducal standards were -

Aquitaine

fr-guyen.gif

Normandy

fr-norm.gif

So it wasn't surprising he amalgamated them into -

gb-en-rb.gif

Well since the weekend is almost here... I'd definitely be interested in 2 of each design. Love the shapes. Think you did a great job with these.

Will this be cross posted in the geocoin forums or should I check in the UK forum for a new preorder post tomorrow?

We will only be handling UK and Europe orders through our pre-order process. Basically we have a US distributor who will be handling sales for the rest of the world. Once we have a date for that sale, we will announce on the general geocoin forum.

That way folks in the US don't have to pay over the odds for shipping from Europe, and folks in Europe don't have to pay over the odds for shipping from the US.

Of course, it adds a little to our shipping expenses to have the entire batch split and sent to 2 places, but we are willing to cover those costs.

T

We will only be handling UK and Europe orders through our pre-order process. Basically we have a US distributor who will be handling sales for the rest of the world. Once we have a date for that sale, we will announce on the general geocoin forum.

Oooh, oooh please Miss, does that mean we get our coins before our friends across the pond can sell them on E-bay?? :blink:

Basically we have a US distributor who will be handling sales for the rest of the world. Once we have a date for that sale, we will announce on the general geocoin forum.

Who is the US distributor? Oakcoins? Geocoin store? The Caching Place? who it is makes a big difference ;)

I had the same question ;)

Well at present I don't have a paypal account and I would only be setting it up if it is needed so if there is an alternative option then please let me know, If not then I will set up an account.

You don't need a paypal account anymore, you can just pay by credit/debit card as a one off payment

So I believe.

I like both coins. I've been informed by my pedantic partner [who is a history academic] that the Richard the Lionheard lions were infact Leopards, and the fact that they are portrayed as lions is a Victorian mistake. ^_^

There's always one fuss pot :D

My Welsh Grandmother was proud of the dragon, so I like the coin as it is :P

Presumably the Irish members will need to iron out what they want, and if they want a Northern Irish or just an Ireland one? Would it have St. Patrick's cross? It would look nice regardless, but a Northern Irish coin would promote that part of the UK more to the rest of the world.

Well at present I don't have a paypal account and I would only be setting it up if it is needed so if there is an alternative option then please let me know, If not then I will set up an account.

Hi Mick Mark, if you have any problems we can arrange payment through our Paypal account.

Des