Gsak And Meridian Not Communicating

gpsjeep

Hi there,

I just got a new Meridian Gold. I use to have the Meridian Yellow that I used with GSAK and never had a problem uploading waypoints.

After I try to upload waypoints to my Meridian Gold, after a few moments I get an error message that say's "No data received from GPSr" I'm not getting a comm error and My baud rate in GSAK and my GPSr are set to the same rate.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

-Jeff

My Meridian Platinum works fine with GSAK. I have noticed that SOMETIMES if there is a failure to communicate (like I forget to reset the Baud rate or NMEA), that one or both devices need to be "restarted" in order to communicate, even if the settings are fixed. So, restart GSAK, power cycle the GPS, check baud rate & NMEA, then try it again. If it STILL doesn't work, re-boot the computer, and re-start the GPS again (I had to do that once that I remember).

If that doesn't work, I would start to suspect the GPS port has a problem.... Can you try it on some other software you have used OK previously (EasyGPS, a mapping program, Mapsend, etc.).

Ditto what Embra said on slowing things down some. I have never gotten GSAK to work over 9600 baud with my Meridian. But - EasyGPS will go all the way up to 115K baud with my Meridian, I guess so it must me GSAK. 9600 should be fast enough anyway.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama
Hi there,

I just got a new Meridian Gold. I use to have the Meridian Yellow that I used with GSAK and never had a problem uploading waypoints.

After I try to upload waypoints to my Meridian Gold, after a few moments I get an error message that say's "No data received from GPSr" I'm not getting a comm error and My baud rate in GSAK and my GPSr are set to the same rate.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

-Jeff

The following is not a fix, but a work around.

If you have a card reader just send the data from GSAK to the card. I haven't connected the GPSr to the computer since I started using the card reader and it is so much faster than using the GPSr itself.

John

Meridian Gold and Meridian Yellow (unlike Sportrak Map and Sportrak Yellow) are largely indistinguisable to software.

GPSBabel (and thus GSAK) will work at 115K on Magellans but their protocol is so stupid that unless you turn of the "yes, I really would like confirmation that I've seen all the data without error" feature it doesn't actually run any faster than than 4800 (maybe it's 9600) anyway.