Just Got Poison Ivy

Yes friends, while placing a new cache, I climbed over a cliff and apparently rubbed my forearm through some of our favorite plant. I didn't even know it was possible to get it in winter! I guess that shows how allergic I am. Be careful!

The good news: it gave me an opportunity to try out CalaGel and let me tell you, this is the best poison ivy remedy out there.

Yup, it doesn't go away. Yesterday I found a micro cache hidden behind a huge poison ivy vine. I'm guessing the hider didn't even realize that's what it was.

Technu is really good stuff too. Keep some in your pack and wash your hands off with it right after you're exposed.

Bret

Yes friends, while placing a new cache, I climbed over a cliff and apparently rubbed my forearm through some of our favorite plant. I didn't even know it was possible to get it in winter! I guess that shows how allergic I am. Be careful!

The good news: it gave me an opportunity to try out CalaGel and let me tell you, this is the best poison ivy remedy out there.

I hate Poison Ivy. I used to get it all the time when I was young. Some tips and more info are available here:

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Poison_ivy

Worst case of poison ivy I ever got was in the middle of February. I pet my cat who tended to walk through a good sized patch in the woods. My hands and face (yes, I like to snuggle my face in the fur! :blink: ) were covered so bad that I couldn't bend my fingers or wear my glasses/contacts. And yes, you can get the oils from ALL parts of the vine, including the roots.

Home remedies that work for me...make a tea from the stems and leaves of jewelweed (often found growing near poison ivy), strain, then make into ice cubes. Rub cubes over affected areas whenever they start to itch. Or, make a tea from fresh sage leaves. Strain and use the tea as part of your bath water...soak, don't wash...and just pat dry.

Dawn

Interesting thread. Always thought that you'd be safe in winter. But this thread sent me reading on the internet and found other surprises like getting your lungs affected if you burn the plant and inhale the volatile oils. This plant is scarier than I thought.

JDandDD

... and found other surprises like getting your lungs affected if you burn the plant and inhale the volatile oils. This plant is scarier than I thought.

I almost lost my dad when we were young because of this very thing!! :unsure::blink:

We were camping and one of the guys brought in this piece of "log" from the woods to kindle the fire. Unknown to us was that the "log" was actually a HUGE about 3inch diameter piece of Poison Ivy. My dad breathed the smoke and within hours we were in the ER with him having difficulty breathing!

Spent a few scary days in ICU recieving antibiotics and anti-inflamatory drugs.

If you are allergic to this stuff, make SURE you know what it look like in all of it's stages!! (live & dormant)

D-man ;)

No poison ivy here - this state has poison oak instead. I haven't had it for many, many years and when I did get it before it was very mild. Since I started geocaching in August 05 I've had two pretty nasty cases. One on my right arm and the second on my left arm (and a little on the back of my neck and at the corners of my eyes). Both times I had on a long sleeved sweatshirt and got it anyway - possibly from leaning on my pant legs later or from my cache bag. Apparently I'm now much more succeptible to the stuff than I used to be. Sigh....... I was in an area last weekend with a ton of it and I'm waiting to see if I have it again. I really hope not since it makes me crazy.

It's also helpful to be able to recognize the younger, shorter PI plants, which around here grow in dense patches on the forest floor and usually grow about 12-18 inches tall. It's easy to spot a patch when it has leaves, but in the winter when you only have "sticks", you can still get the oil on your pants and boots. Good thing the small dormant PI plants, although they often aren't hairy, are easy to recognize once you know what they look like.

Edited by DavidMac

My Summer Cache mobile has a leather steering wheel, the first summer I was caching heavily I noticed that I was getting poison ivy on my hands every time it rained. Problem was that the poison ivy oil had transfered from my hands to the leather and was comeing out when the leather got wet. I washed the wheel with Isopropol alchol and that solved the PI problem.

We went for a really fun puzzle cache in December and my sister got PI so bad that it was all over her face and her left eye was swollen shut! She gets it really bad and I thought that since it was winter and all that she wouldn't get it........well, I was wrong!

Careful out there.........If PI is this bad in the winter, I really hate to see what it is going to be like this summer!

Edited by Super_Nate