Stick, Staff, Or Stave

Last week I hit the trail (figuratively and literally) while tracking down some local caches. The trails were covered with lots of ice and I took a couple of nasty spills. This got me thinking of when I hiked as a Boy Scout I use to carry a stave that would help in many tricky situations where extra help was needed for balance, tricky stream crossings, (etc...) or for use as a probe (as suggested in the Dangerous Animals While Caching thread).

I thought about making my own (like in Boy Scouts) but I was curious what others are using if anything?

Also, anyone have any experance using YakTrax?

Edited by grueinthedark

Yaktrax are suitable for taking out the garbage, or walking across the supermarket parking lot. Try any slightly tougher terrain and they easily fall off or break. There is a product called Stabilicers that works much better than Yaktrax once you leave the pavement. They are a simply a studded, Vibram sole that straps to your boots. But if you're tackling anything higher than 2 star terrain, the best thing you can get are a pair of 4 point or 6 point instep crampons. See this link for Backpacker's reviews of Stabilicers as well as some 4 point and 6 point crampons.

As far as poles, I use two trekking poles. They are essentially collapsible ski poles. The sharp metal tip grabs on ice. I started using them when hiking in the winter and got so used to them I use them all year round. They really help out on downhills, while crossing streams and when in slippery areas. They also make things easier on my aging knees.

The best part is that they collapse and fit in my pack when I don't need them.

Edited by briansnat

I use a hiking stick that I was lucky enough to grab from a cache by local cacher Bosun. He is famous in the Houston area for these. It isn't carved and decorated like those by the venerable El Diablo, but I rarely hike or cache without it.

If the search feature was working, I'd link to El Diablo's "how to make your own" thread.

Edit: Here's the link. Google advanced still works. Huh. Never knew it was Louis Braille's birthday today!

Edited by Sputnik 57
I use a walking stick that I made myself.  It's really not that hard to make one (unless you get fancy with it) and I think they have more character than the store made trekking poles.  Just my opinion!  ;)

Character they've got, but the deal with the hiking staff is technique. You adjust them to armpit level and put your weight on the wrist strap and, unless you're doing something particularly treacherous, only gently hold the grip. This allows you to put quite a lot of your weight onto the pole(s) over the long haul, using your whole arm and shoulder to push off. If you try serious weight bearing with a regular stick, all your effort goes into making a fist around the stick.

It really is amazing how useful this is, though I haven't been able to master two poles. Being a naturally clumsy and physically inept sort of person.

I use a walking stick that I made myself.  It's really not that hard to make one (unless you get fancy with it) and I think they have more character than the store made trekking poles.  Just my opinion!  ;)

Character they've got, but the deal with the hiking staff is technique. You adjust them to armpit level and put your weight on the wrist strap and, unless you're doing something particularly treacherous, only gently hold the grip. This allows you to put quite a lot of your weight onto the pole(s) over the long haul, using your whole arm and shoulder to push off. If you try serious weight bearing with a regular stick, all your effort goes into making a fist around the stick.

It really is amazing how useful this is, though I haven't been able to master two poles. Being a naturally clumsy and physically inept sort of person.

Yeah, I'll give you that AuntieWeasel! LOL! If I was going backpacking and doing a lot of rough terrain/ice, I would definitely use a trekking pole.

Pookie (the trophy Geo wife) bought us two collapsible walking sticks from Wally world. They are great. They have ice points with a removable tip and a compass on the handle.

Cost was under $10, and th ey never leave the Geo vehicle now.

LOL - wouldn't they be more effective if you took them out of the vehicle when you went hiking? ;) I love the ones from Walmart. I bought myself one, then had to go buy them for my 4 & 5 year old sons. The use them almost totally collapsed...it is so cute, and at $10 each, it no biggie. They seem to work great.

I have a source that repairs broken golf clubs . . . he gives me the ones where the club has broken off the end of the staff.

Very light aluminum staff that I can put all of my weight upon, it is hollow with a comfortable grip. I screw put a large edged bolt with glue on the end of the staff where the club was broken off. The large bolt's edge grabs leaf litter/forest debris when I want to drag an area, it makes a loud bang when I poke an ammo can and it has been useful to avoid menacing snakes & spiders.

Of all the several staff items I have used . . . this one has served best and cost absolutely nothing.

Pookie (the trophy Geo wife) bought us two collapsible walking sticks from Wally world. They are great. They have ice points with a removable tip and a compass on the handle.

Cost was under $10, and th ey never leave the Geo vehicle now.

LOL - wouldn't they be more effective if you took them out of the vehicle when you went hiking? :rolleyes: I love the ones from Walmart. I bought myself one, then had to go buy them for my 4 & 5 year old sons. The use them almost totally collapsed...it is so cute, and at $10 each, it no biggie. They seem to work great.

BWAAAAAAAA :yikes::)

Okay they only come out for Caching

Verga

As I age, I seem to be becoming more of a traditionalist. I have a hiking stick that I purchased for an inflated price from a store at the mall. It has helped me through many hundreds of miles on the Appalachian Trail from New Hampshire to Virginia, plus, no one knows how many thousands of miles, on local trails. Trekking poles may be lighter, but they don't appeal to me. Metal poles clank, and disturb the serenity of the wilderness, and, they scar the rocks along the trail. The wooden stick may be heavier, but it is my choice.

Check out the sticks by Wilderness Walker on eBay. I like mine and it recently came in VERY handy to keep me from falling on my butt on some nasty slick rocks.

I'll second that... Not to take anyting away from El Diablo,

But Wilderness Walker staffs are great. I have bought 8 of them for

the Texas Vikings. They all come with a whistle and your name engraved on

it... They are usually Hickory... All for around $17.00 !

Trekking poles may be lighter, but they don't appeal to me. Metal poles clank, and disturb the serenity of the wilderness, and, they scar the rocks along the trail.

They do sell rubber tips for the poles. I use these in the summer and fall to cut down on the "clanking", but I take them off in the winter so they bite on ice and slippery rocks.