Garmin Gpsmap 60cs Help

Hello all... I'm an uber-newbie, so be gentle. I'd use the SEARCH feature for my problem, but it seems to be down.

I just purchased a Garmin 60cs unit and so far, the thing seems pretty nice. However, I'm having some real trouble with routing on it.

I have several waypoints logged into the unit (home, work, family, etc.). If I am driving and insert a waypoint and click GO TO, it asks me if I want the shortest or fastest. I choose one, then it routes. The problem... it draws straight lines through mountains and stuff and doesn't follow actual roads to my destination. I read up on the routing in the manual (kind of a useless manual for it's size by the way) on page 50. It talks about point to point routing... this is what it was doing. So I changed it to "follow roads" instead of "off road". However, I am still getting these bad directions. Now I get a few 90 degree angles and it still wants me to drive through mountain and go backwards on freeways to get to where I ask it to take me.

Another problem I am having is when I use the routes uploaded from my computer to the GPS. On the computer, it routes things fine. The routes aren't the best IMHO, but that's why we can edit them correct? Well, I have several GOOD routes on my computer that are named things like HOME to WORK. However, when I ask the GPS to navigate the route... it doesn't pull up the route that I had on the computer, it calculates another one on its own. Once again, a straight line usually. Why wouldn't it just take the info from the computer route and tranfer it exactly onto the GPS? Why does the GPS feel the need to "calculate" a route that's already been routed on the computer?

HELP!!! Thanks.

Do you have City Select maps loaded onto the 60CS? The unit tries its best to autoroute using the maps it has available. If you have detailed maps with autorouting information, it works well. If you only have the basemap, it will try to route as best it can along major roads included on the map, and then draw straight lines from there.

Welcome newbie!!

First, what type of mapping software are you using? If you don't have any detailed maps that do routing on both the computer and the GPS(such as City Select or City Navigator), then the GPS will build a route on the basemap(such routes are usually strange because they only have a select few roads). You cannot transfer routes per se. The GPS is programmed to "build a route" from the info you provide, It can do this with straight lines, or along roads, whichever you tell it.

I started this reply before your response, so it is edited to add the following:

Metroguide will not build routes on the GPS(except for V4). You need City Select for this. If you tell it to build a route, it will go to the only routeable maps it has--the basemap and build a route along it.

Edited by CenTexDodger

Taken from http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/ :

City Navigator™ North America v7

- Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource and on the StreetPilot III, StreetPilot 2610 and StreetPilot 2650

City Select® North America v7

- Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource and on compatible Garmin GPS units

MetroGuide® North America v7

- Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource on the PC

Based on those descriptions I would say that only the City Select could do the job for you.

I have the Metroguide North America v6 + US Natl Parks West Topo loaded onto the computer thus loaded onto the GPS. Does this help?

Just because you have the maps on the computer doesn't mean you have them on the 60CS....The 60CS comes with just the basemap... you have to go into mapsource on the computer, select the map product you want, and Download the map areas you want into the 60CS.....without these detailed maps, autorouting is terrible at best.

Your 60CS can not hold all the maps for the entire US, so again you must choose to load specific sections of the US you are going to be driving in. If loaded correctly, you should clearly be able to "zoom in" and see the streets in your local neighborhood....if you can't see street detail, you won't get accurate autorouting.

Once set up you should just have to "Pick" the waypoint (home) you want, then select "go to" and answer the 2 routing questions and the unit itself will calculate the route to take. You don't need to set up routes on the computer to load into the unit to get autorouting.

I have the Metroguide North America v6 + US Natl Parks West Topo loaded onto the computer thus loaded onto the GPS. Does this help?

This is your problem. MetroGuide V6 doesn't autoroute, so the unit is trying to autoroute on your basemap. You need City Select for autorouting.

Older versions of MetroGuide do autoroute, but I think V5 and above don't

When you do get City Select on your unit, you need to have it showing. I have City Select and Topo and when I have City Select hidden and Topo showing, I get very strange results when trying to autoroute.

Just because you have the maps on the computer doesn't mean you have them on the 60CS....The 60CS comes with just the basemap... you have to go into mapsource on the computer, select the map product you want, and Download the map areas you want into the 60CS.....without these detailed maps, autorouting is terrible at best.

Your 60CS can not hold all the maps for the entire US, so again you must choose to load specific sections of the US you are going to be driving in.  If loaded correctly, you should clearly be able to "zoom in" and see the streets in your local neighborhood....if you can't see street detail, you won't get accurate autorouting.

Once set up you should just have to "Pick" the waypoint (home) you want, then select "go to" and answer the 2 routing questions and the unit itself will calculate the route to take.  You don't need to set up routes on the computer to load into the unit to get autorouting.

I actually have loaded the maps from Metro onto the GPS. I can zoom in all the way down and see my street and all of the turns associated with it. So, the maps are there... it just seems that I have the wrong software. What is the name/version of the newest (MOST STABLE) software that everyone is running on their CS? I would like to try and find that (unless someone has a "back-up" copy they would like to share) ;)

Thanks for the input... keep them coming.

My buddy has the City Select software for the Street Pilot i2 / i3. Does this mean that it's ONLY for the i2 / i3 and won't work on mine? Do I need to buy GPSr specific software for the 60CS???

I think they use a different compression for the i series, and I don't think it will work in a 60cs. Also, even if it did, you would be using an unlock They have unit specific software for some units, but not the 60cs.

You really should take a look at http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselect.jsp

- All the info you want is there.

City Select v7 will work just fine for your 60CS.

- Unlike City Navigator which will NOT work with the 60CS (for auto routing).

Are you sure? seems like I read some other users on here using city nav on their 60cs, and had the autorouting work fine. The biggest issue with CN is the region size (in the latest version).

I have read the page... but nowhere does it say anything about it being receiver specific. It just says this:

-From Garmin's Website

With MapSource City Select North America v7, you can literally travel to a new city, look up your hotel, restaurants, and other services and use your compatible Garmin GPS to guide you there without stopping for directions. This DVD includes fully routable detailed maps throughout the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is included with the purchase of several Garmin® units and is also available for purchase as a stand-alone product. See the product compatibility table (right) for a list of products that Garmin recommends with this software.

This leads me to believe that the disk my buddy has might work for my unit. It'd certainly save me roughly $150 or so. I also find it hard to believe that a unit that costs half as much as the 60CS, actually CAME with needed software and ours didn't, taking out unit total to close to $500 instead of $350. Rediculous.

Now, I may be completely missing something here... but, even if I wanted to buy the v7 disk from the link provided, I'm not seeing an ADD TO CART button or any way to purchase anywhere on the page. I'm only finding checkout information at the top right with nothing to checkout. Weird.

Edited by ErikJeanna
I just read this from the StreetPilot i3 page... it says it comes with City Select® North America NT DVD with full unlock.  It's a link, so I clicked it and this is what came up... any ideas?

Yes. I do not think you can use NT maps with the 60cs.

From the page you linked: NT software is not sold separately. Since data is compressed differently than our other products, it can only be used with compatible Garmin products.

You need the regular version of City Select V7. Click here.

Edited to add: You can get it from an online retailer such as GPS Discount or GPS City for around $100.

Edited by CenTexDodger

I was on the phone with a Garmin rep and he said that the City Select software is no longer in production. It has been replaced with the City Navigator software and in the newest version should be able to auto route. Now, this goes against just about everything said here on the board... what do I do? I can't find the City Select v7 anywhere (even Garmin doesn't sll it anymore, they just list it) and I don't want to buy v6 and then dish out mney for the upgrade to v7. Especially if the software has now been made obsolete. I need to get some mapping software on my GPSr along with auto routing. It will be used 99% of the time in my truck, so auto routing is essential.

Please advise and sorry for the hassle.

Hm.. I never really understood why there had to be two different MapSources (Navigator and Select). So it seems pretty reasonable to merge the two and just release one map package for use with all GPS units.

Did he say anything about when the new City Navigator will go retail?

- I would probally wait and buy it if its not too far away.

Good luck!

I was on the phone with a Garmin rep and he said that the City Select software is no longer in production. It has been replaced with the City Navigator software and in the newest version should be able to auto route. Now, this goes against just about everything said here on the board... what do I do? I can't find the City Select v7 anywhere (even Garmin doesn't sll it anymore, they just list it) and I don't want to buy v6 and then dish out mney for the upgrade to v7. Especially if the software has now been made obsolete. I need to get some mapping software on my GPSr along with auto routing. It will be used 99% of the time in my truck, so auto routing is essential.

That's kinda weird - I got my upgrade via mail from Garmin last week.

The word I've gotten is that Garmin is rebranding their trademark maps from City Select to City Navigator... really just a name change with one version (7) having concurrent versions. But the first version of the Navigator series (7) uses larger map segments which are not practical for many users and that they have promised that v.8 in Navigator will return to the smaller map segments.

No hassle, we are just bringing you up to speed on what we have been cussing and discussing here for the past several months.

1. If you get City Select V6, you can upgrade to V7 for free since we are past the release date for V7.

2. City Select has been discontinued past V7. City Navigator will replace City Select, but in the current version, V7, CN has large map segments that cannot be handled as well by the 56 mb of memory in the 60cs. Garmin has responded to people here that the next version of City Nav will have smaller map segments that will be usable by your 60cs.

3. They have also told us here that there will be an upgrade path between City Select V7 and City Nav v8.

4. If you can't find City Select V7, you may need to go ahead and get City Navigator V7 and deal with the large segments until City Navigator V8 comes out, or wait until CN V8 comes out and buy the full version. They have typically been upgrading in June, so look for it then.

I understand why they have discontinued City Select, the two programs are virtually the same, but they should have waited until closer to the release of the next upgrade. Sorry if all this is confusing.

I was on the phone with a Garmin rep and he said that the City Select software is no longer in production.  It has been replaced with the City Navigator software and in the newest version should be able to auto route.  Now, this goes against just about everything said here on the board... what do I do?  I can't find the City Select v7 anywhere (even Garmin doesn't sll it anymore, they just list it) and I don't want to buy v6 and then dish out mney for the upgrade to v7.  Especially if the software has now been made obsolete.  I need to get some mapping software on my GPSr along with auto routing.  It will be used 99% of the time in my truck, so auto routing is essential. 

No hassle, we are just bringing you up to speed on what we have been cussing and discussing here for the past several months.

1. If you get City Select V6, you can upgrade to V7 for free since we are past the release date for V7.

2. City Select has been discontinued past V7. City Navigator will replace City Select, but in the current version, V7, CN has large map segments that cannot be handled as well by the 56 mb of memory in the 60cs. Garmin has responded to people here that the next version of City Nav will have smaller map segments that will be usable by your 60cs.

3. They have also told us here that there will be an upgrade path between City Select V7 and City Nav v8.

4. If you can't find City Select V7, you may need to go ahead and get City Navigator V7 and deal with the large segments until City Navigator V8 comes out, or wait until CN V8 comes out and buy the full version. They have typically been upgrading in June, so look for it then.

I understand why they have discontinued City Select, the two programs are virtually the same, but they should have waited until closer to the release of the next upgrade. Sorry if all this is confusing.

Does City Navigator do auto routing just as City Navigator does? I don't mind dealing with bigger map segments for a few months until the upgrade comes out. As long as the upgrades are free... or at least the first one. I'm just worried about buying City Select because this (v7) will probably be the last upgrade (I'm assuming here) since it's no longer being made.

Do I have to buy from anyone in particular to get the upgrade for free?

[Does City Navigator do auto routing just as City Navigator does? I don't mind dealing with bigger map segments for a few months until the upgrade comes out. As long as the upgrades are free... or at least the first one. I'm just worried about buying City Select because this (v7) will probably be the last upgrade (I'm assuming here) since it's no longer being made.

Do I have to buy from anyone in particular to get the upgrade for free?

AFAIK, they autoroute the same. I have never used City Nav, but other users here have and it is sold for the same purpose--auto navigation.

Now just to be clear, the upgrades are not free. If you unlock your software after the release date for the next version (unlock v7 after the release date for V8) then they are free. That is why I suggested waiting until the next version is released

No, you do not have to buy from any particular retailer. They have you on file from when you unlock the software, and they use that date to determine whether or not you get a free upgrade, a reduced price upgrade, or a regular priced upgrade.

I'm glad I found this thread.... I wanted to add my 2c because we have had the same issues. Being seasoned cachers and having MapSource and CitySelect v6 for the last year has been great! However....

Just 3 days ago, with no changes to software, or any process we do...

Same exact issue, Our 60CS is not routing on streets anymore. It appears to only route basemaps, and we cannot seem to find a fix. We have sent requests to garmin as it's almost rendered our "other" uses for it obsolete. No response yet...

Tried: Full reset. Data Reset. More surrounding maps. Less Maps. Random tweaks from random sites. Cursing. Praying. Crying. Sitting on hold for 3 hours. More cursing.

Google searches tried (help others find post)

"garmin 60cs not routing"

"garmin 60cs routing off road"

"problem routing on garmin 60cs"

also tried with 60 and 60c 'just in case'

Again, al routing and maps and directions worked fine until 3 days ago with no changes, not even batteries.

Thank you all and hopefully this may find others with the same issue.

_shipper family_

I'm glad I found this thread.... I wanted to add my 2c because we have had the same issues. Being seasoned cachers and having MapSource and CitySelect v6 for the last year has been great! However....

Just 3 days ago, with no changes to software, or any process we do...

Same exact issue, Our 60CS is not routing on streets anymore. It appears to only route basemaps, and we cannot seem to find a fix. We have sent requests to garmin as it's almost rendered our "other" uses for it obsolete. No response yet...

Tried: Full reset. Data Reset. More surrounding maps. Less Maps. Random tweaks from random sites. Cursing. Praying. Crying. Sitting on hold for 3 hours. More cursing.

Google searches tried (help others find post)

"garmin 60cs not routing"

"garmin 60cs routing off road"

"problem routing on garmin 60cs"

also tried with 60 and 60c 'just in case'

Again, al routing and maps and directions worked fine until 3 days ago with no changes, not even batteries.

Thank you all and hopefully this may find others with the same issue.

_shipper family_

Well, your issue is different from the OPs, but I will make some suggestions that might help. (I have the same setup as you.

1. open mapsource, At the bottom of the maps tab on the right side, make sure when you load maps the "Include route calculation data" box is checked. I know this may sound elemenatry, but I loaded a bunch of maps on mine once and the box has somehow gotten unchecked. I was racking my brain trying to get my unit to route, and it was giving me an error message. Make sure the box in checked and reload your mapset.

2. On the GPS, make sure it is using City Select. Go into the map setup menu and "hide" all other maps on there including the basemap.

That is all I can think of right now, if you haven't already, try those and see what happens

Ditto for me on my 60C. It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I think it was after the latest "beta" firmware upgrade. My unit seems to ignore detailed City Select maps and route only to the base map. The turn-by-turn instructions seem to mimic the diisplayed route, but nowhere near the detail it used to. I noticed after I push the "Enter" button after selecting "Follow Road" that the calculation screen barely shows at all 1% or 2% before it flashes across the field and closes. Seems to indicate an incomplete route calculation to me.

It won't autoroute "in town" at all, i.e., it ignores all city streets.

Something else that's goofy is that the purple route plots that do display are not directly on the street like they're supposed to be. They plot offset and parallel to the streets. This is particularly noticeable (and irritating) at close zoom levels.

I'll be interested in hearing what you find out from Garmin before I try some things and contact Garmin myself.

Thanks for sharing your info....

Same exact issue, Our 60CS is not routing on streets anymore. It appears to only route basemaps, and we cannot seem to find a fix.  ...

Ditto for me on my 60C. It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I think it was after the latest "beta" firmware upgrade. My unit seems to ignore detailed City Select maps and route only to the base map.

It sure sounds like the problem is that you loaded some CitySelect maps without including the routing information as described in CenTexDodger's point #1 above.

If that box in MapSource isn't checked when you do the download you'll still see all the detailed maps on your GPS but you won't have the necessary data for it to be able to auto-route so it'll just use the basemap for the routing.

Same exact issue, Our 60CS is not routing on streets anymore. It appears to only route basemaps, and we cannot seem to find a fix.  ...

Ditto for me on my 60C. It just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I think it was after the latest "beta" firmware upgrade. My unit seems to ignore detailed City Select maps and route only to the base map.

It sure sounds like the problem is that you loaded some CitySelect maps without including the routing information as described in CenTexDodger's point #1 above.

If that box in MapSource isn't checked when you do the download you'll still see all the detailed maps on your GPS but you won't have the necessary data for it to be able to auto-route so it'll just use the basemap for the routing.

And that little box can become unchecked for no apparent reason (i think it has something to do with either installing new maps or upgrading MapSource). That is why I was racking my brains, because I "knew" it had been checked when I loaded the maps-and now my GPS is saying it cannot route because no roads exist near the end of the route-it had never done that before, and I figured I was going to have to send the unit to Garmin because the firmware was corrupted. But no, it was a simple little checkbox.

1. open mapsource, At the bottom of the maps tab on the right side, make sure when you load maps the "Include route calculation data" box is checked. I know this may sound elemenatry, but I loaded a bunch of maps on mine once and the box has somehow gotten unchecked. I was racking my brain trying to get my unit to route, and it was giving me an error message. Make sure the box in checked and reload your mapset.

2. On the GPS, make sure it is using City Select. Go into the map setup menu and "hide" all other maps on there including the basemap.

:) I'm so-o-o happy!! I tried what CenTexDodger (and Peter) suggested and my GPSR is now back to autorouting like it used to do. For me, it was simply a matter of checking the little box down at the bottom right corner of the the MapSource "Maps" tab and then reloading all the maps. Thinking back, I'll bet the box became unchecked when I recently installed the "upgrade" to City Select Version 7. Honestly, I don't even remember ever noticing that little check box in the two years I've been using CS Version 6 and loading maps into my 60c.

Hmm... guess I'll have to start paying attention to the instructions again, eh?

Thanks so very much for your help!

Edited by BGunner01

I also have a new 60cs and had the problem of routing on the computer map, but when I transfered the route to my GPSr I got a straight line. Tried all your helpful hints (much appreciated!) and still got straight line. Just spent some time with a very nice Garmin help person, and figured out this simple thing. When I chose routes, and selected a route, I then selected "map" at the bottom to view my mapped route, and saw the straight line. But if I select "navigate" instead of "map" it asks me "Follow road" or "off road" and off road had been selected; hence the straight line. I checked "follow road" and got my detailed route! Someday I'll figure this all out! Thanks everyone in these forums for all your valuable advice.