How Dense Are You ?

Deego

On the 4/4/04 this post asked how dense was your area based on a 25 miles radius of home.

I am in North Staffordshire.

04/04/04 = 96 caches 26 unfound (27%)

04/01/06 = 260 caches 80 unfound (30%)

So that's an increase of 164 (170%) in 21 months

How many do you have with in 25 miles?

Co. Donegal, Ireland.

4/4/04

3 in total. I wasn't caching back then but I've found 2 of them since.

2 of the 3 are holiday caches (Chris n Maria...thanks guys) and one is from a sock puppet (Little Lu) so probably a holiday cache too.

4/1/06

12 in total

3 Found (25%)

6 Not Found (50%)

3 Placed (25%)

All of the additions are by local cachers (BluestackBoy, Spamsport, Merann and myself of course)

I seem to spend more time caching in distant parts of the country rather than close to home. I tend to keep those for quick cache dashes when I'm bored.

In my defence most of the Not Found have been placed since or just before the birth of our first baby which severely curtailed my geocaching activities :lol:

Edited to add 2004 data

Edited by dino-irl

This information is all readily available to anyone using the excellent GCUK interactive map - looking solely at Cumbria there are enormous uncached? spaces, many with great potential for new ones - especially on the high fells.

-packs rucksac with caches- :lol:

(Should this be in the "ban new caches" thread?) ;)

From home, Billericay in Essex

Total 407

Mine 39 9.58%

Found 169 41.52%

From Work, Hackney in London

Total 679

Mine 37 5.45%

Found 176 25.92%

I've only been caching for 16 mths so I dont know what it was like 2 years ago My stats then would have been

From home, Billericay in Essex

Mine 0

Found 0

From Work, Hackney in London

Mine 9

Found 0

the wonders of adoption

04/04/04 = 72 "active" caches of which I have not found 11 = 15% only one of which is still "active" = 1 to be found = 1.38% ;)

Today = 281 "active" caches of which I have not found 91 = 32%

Increase of 209 caches = 290% in 21 months :lol:

Edited to add that I wasn't caching until August 2004.

Edited by nediam

Well, I think I've worked this out properly (and I'm sure there is a quicker and more obvious way)....assuming there are 20 caches per page of listings then there are 827 caches listed for under 25 miles from Amersham, of which we have done only 36! :lol:

So we've only done 4.35%. Looks like we'll be busy caching for years before we get even close to getting them all. ;);)

Wow!

last time I posted (april 04):

43 from home, 4 of which are mine. Not bad I suppose.... a year ago there were hardly any! Now there are at least 6 active cachers in the area, and we're adding to the East Devon/West Dorset cache tally quite nicely.

This year:

169 within 25 miles from home, 23 of which are mine. I've found 162 of the 169. I must be slacking ;).

(EDIT to add, that's a four-fold increase in East Devon/West Dorset caches in 20 months. What's it like in Lincolnshire? :lol: )

Edited by Stuey

806 caches up to 25 miles from home, but this does include parts of London and Essex and outskirts of Oxford... so several densely cached areas. It does seem quite a lot though.

BTW, there are only 11 caches IN Berkhamsted Nick... you are only jealous because if they were placed in Hemel they would get stolen coz you're all crooks over there! :lol:

Within 25 miles of our home in North Cardiff:-

Total Caches 174

20 of the nearest 25 belong to us

Of the Five not done:- 1 NEW yippee!

- I on an Island!!!

- 2 caches were missing when we went to do them, but now replaced.

66 of the nearest are ours

27 involve crossing the Severn Bridge into England

We have done the all rest!

Oh you lucky people who have lots and lots near your homes - where should we relocate to?

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!!

BTW, there are only 11 caches IN Berkhamsted Nick... you are only jealous because if they were placed in Hemel they would get stolen coz you're all crooks over there! ;)

:lol:;) Yeah but No but Yeah but No but Yeah but what I meant was in and around Berkhamsted, but Berko is quite a small town for 11 caches, and all you berko cachers placing loads all over the place.

And you're right about them getting nicked, cos mine did, but you'll be happy to know I'm going to replace it this week, once I've done some camoflage and placed it and averaged the co-ords.

what I meant was in and around Berkhamsted, but Berko is quite a small town for 11 caches, and all you berko cachers placing loads all over the place.

Well, there are 14 Berko cachers by my reckoning, so that's less than 1 cache placed each. I think we need to put a fence up to stop interlopers from Bucks and Beds from coming over here and placing caches! ;):lol:

(and I'm sure there is a quicker and more obvious way)

Or use the Search at G:UK: http://stats.guk2.com/caches/

There you can specify your position even as a postcode, (or have it rememeber your location) and set a filter to less than 25mi

Okay - I've now calculated it this way (many thanks ;) ) and it has increased the number of caches less than 25 miles from home (Amersham) to 927!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:;)

I've got a lot of work ahead of me to get the remaining 94.1%

If you look at early logs on long standing caches, you read that cachers often made a day trip of over 100 miles each way to bag the new cache! I certainly think that caches breeds cachers... because if there had been only one or two to do when I had started, my interest would have waned pretty rapidly I suspect.

Old Home (Watford) - 1033

New Home (Herefordshire) - 63

I've already started trying to fill the gap but I've got an awful lot of caches to hide yet  :D  ;)

Well perhaps your good friend Lactodorum should speed up his approavl process for you :)

I'm going as fast as I can :):D

(as the actress said to...........) :)