Locationless Caches "no More"

I don't think that Waymarking will pick up until the site decides how categories will be added. I also wonder just how much activity it will get. Locationless didn't seem to be that popular a cache type. I guess time will tell and we'll find out after the beta phase.

JDandDD

Locationless didn't seem to be that popular a cache type. I guess time will tell and we'll find out after the beta phase.

The following were 'Locationless Caches'

Logged Visits (1117 total. Visit the Gallery (2273 images)
for 'Murals'
Logged Visits (1213 total. Visit the Gallery (2588 images)
for 'Lighthouses of the world'
Logged Visits (1889 total. Visit the Gallery (3192 images))
for 'Frozen in time'

These are just 3 of the 'Locationless Caches' that I logged. (Total=3543 visits & 8053 pictures) Now you move those statistics to 'Waymarking' and....... :lol:

Actually, for the first time, I see enough activity in Waymarking now that many locationless have been "moved" that I can see the use in doing one the way one did a locationless cache. However, I have a few questions; I was going to create my own forum topic for it, but it applies very well to this topic:

1) How does one create a category? I have a unique item right next to my own home that would make a neat starting point for a category that doesn't exist yet?

2) Can I redo any past locationless logs as waymarks? For example, I did one for "Fire Fighting Vehicles" (one of the sillier ones in my view; as a locationless the rules were too easy and as a waymark....well, if I waymark a truck that is down the street but not at the firehouse, how does anyone "visit" it? but a good example for this question). Can I just take the picture and coords from my old log and add it as a waymark ?

3) Am I doing search right? I can easily look at all 179 categories so far, but I know search doesn't completely work because if I search using "phone" as a keyword, the payphone category doesn't come up. For that matter, putting in "payphone" or "pay phone" doesn't work either. Looking through all 179 isn't so bad now, but as this grows this will be a real bugbear.

Please let me know, I was really down on this site for awhile and am still dismayed that things like "Find a McDonald's" is part of it, but I can now at least see the forest from the trees and work with it, thanks.

Actually, for the first time, I see enough activity in Waymarking now that many locationless have been "moved" that I can see the use in doing one the way one did a locationless cache. However, I have a few questions; I was going to create my own forum topic for it, but it applies very well to this topic:

1) How does one create a category? I have a unique item right next to my own home that would make a neat starting point for a category that doesn't exist yet?

2) Can I redo any past locationless logs as waymarks? For example, I did one for "Fire Fighting Vehicles" (one of the sillier ones in my view; as a locationless the rules were too easy and as a waymark....well, if I waymark a truck that is down the street but not at the firehouse, how does anyone "visit" it? but a good example for this question). Can I just take the picture and coords from my old log and add it as a waymark ?

3) Am I doing search right? I can easily look at all 179 categories so far, but I know search doesn't completely work because if I search using "phone" as a keyword, the payphone category doesn't come up. For that matter, putting in "payphone" or "pay phone" doesn't work either. Looking through all 179 isn't so bad now, but as this grows this will be a real bugbear.

Please let me know, I was really down on this site for awhile and am still dismayed that things like "Find a McDonald's" is part of it, but I can now at least see the forest from the trees and work with it, thanks.

1) You can not as of yet. The current categories were just transfers from locationless caches, but you can propose ideas in the Waymark Category Proposals thread.

2) I did for a few. I don't really like the new fire fighting vehicle one because you can't log it as a visit unless it's at the station. When I found that locationless, the truck was outside an Albertsons Grocery Store. You should leave a note for the owner in the provided area saying it has been copied over. I wasn't declined on any of them.

3) I did a search for phone and the following came up: Payphones, Disguised Cell Towers, Renaissance Fairs, Where's In A Name?. Maybe you had a filter on and didn't realize it, or you only searched in one of the Directories (like People, for instance, which wouldn't come up with payphone)

If all Locationless caches are made into Waymarking, does that mean all virtuals are too?

No, and not all locationless are now waymark categories. Locationless caches only became categories if the owner chose to make them so. Virtuals have not been archived on geocaching.com, you just can't create any new ones anymore.

Do you have to be a premium member to have a waymark? :P

No, it has been open to all users since Nov 05 I believe.