Using A Flashlight

piscatore

I always wondered why they walked into a dark room with a small flashlight and didn't turn on the lights.

I spent over an hour hunting for a cache today and finally ran out of light. I got my cheapo flashlight ( the kind you have to bang on every once in a while to keep it lit) and made one last sweep. The light appearantly helped me focus because I was able to easily find the hide in a place I'd been within a foot of 3 or 4 times already.

Anyone else have similar experiences? or was I just lucky.

Had that happen to me this evening. I looked for a cache yesterday morning but DNF'd. Went back today at dusk with the light and found it right away in a place that I had looked directly at yesterday. It makes sense that you would concentrate better on the small area of the beam. I just never thought about that before, good point.

"I always wondered why they walked into a dark room with a small flashlight and didn't turn on the lights."

Bad television, I'd guess. In these parts it is really difficult to see a cache under the sallal at night. The texture of each leaf is doubled by its shadow. I've missed some awfully easy caches at night. Maybe you were lucky, but I suspect that you are very, very good.

Salal (sallal)

Salal is a generally low to sometimes erect growing shrub that can be found growing either a few inches off the ground all the way up to 15 feet in height. The leaves are evergreen and thick, shiny, somewhat leathery and about two inches in length. The small white to pink flowers are urn shaped, grow downward, and 5 to 15 appear on a stalk at the end of the branches. The berries are edible, dark red to dark purple and less than one half inch in size. Salal grows grows in a variety of habitats from open coniferous forests and clear-cuts to the seashore. It grows well in a wide range of soil types and can even tolerate salt spray.

Wildlife uses:

The leaves and twigs are browsed by deer and elk, but the berries are the favorite food of many animals. Birds of many species eat the berries and bears can often be found eating Salal berries. Salal forms dense stands in forests and deer and elk use this cover for bedding and resting. All types of small game also use Salal for hiding and escape cover.

Reclamation uses:

Salal does well in just about all soil types and has an extensive, suckering root system that helps bind the soil. It grows well in disturbed sites, but grows best in partial shade. It can even tolerate salt spray so it can be used close to the sea. Animals often use Salal for both food and cover so wildlife habitat rehabilitation should also include Salal.

Backyard uses:

Salal is an attractive evergreen shrub that does well in semi-shady areas of backyards with little water once established. Its green, shiny leaves, interesting flowers and edible berries give Salal interest throughout the year. The branches are also often included in flower arraignments.

I've always had the opposite happen. Turn a perfectly easy cache into a 5 star in the dark. The beam only lets you look in one spot at a time, so you don't step back and see the big picture. Oh, there's another stump 20 feet away? ;) We've searched forever and then come back the next day and the cache is right there! :lol:

The reason they have the lights turned off and use flashlights, is for drama. It's spookier that way. ;)

I've always had the opposite happen. Turn a perfectly easy cache into a 5 star in the dark. The beam only lets you look in one spot at a time, so you don't step back and see the big picture. Oh, there's another stump 20 feet away?

That's been my experience. Easy to overlook locations at night when a flashlight is all you've got. Especially when the cache is hidden above eye level, but you don't know it... cause you're constantly focusing on the ground, since that's where you have to see to walk... I missed one like this recently. Cache was at eye level and I missed it at night, but came back in the daytime and spotted it immediately. I do like night caching anyway, it adds to the challenge and usually less muggles to deal with. And for those caches you have to feel, rather than see, to find I think it actually helps to do them in the dark.

I've always had the opposite happen.  Turn a perfectly easy cache into a 5 star in the dark.  The beam only lets you look in one spot at a time, so you don't step back and see the big picture.  Oh, there's another stump 20 feet away?

That's been my experience. Easy to overlook locations at night when a flashlight is all you've got. Especially when the cache is hidden above eye level, but you don't know it... cause you're constantly focusing on the ground, since that's where you have to see to walk... I missed one like this recently. Cache was at eye level and I missed it at night, but came back in the daytime and spotted it immediately. I do like night caching anyway, it adds to the challenge and usually less muggles to deal with. And for those caches you have to feel, rather than see, to find I think it actually helps to do them in the dark.

Yeah, sometimes you can be suprised by really beautiful things at night, like a great view.....or have an exciting adventure that you wouldn't have had during the day. :lol:

Well, I'm not going to stop looking during the day. My point really was that if what you're doing isn't working, doing more of it probably won't work any better. Try something different. Looking at dusk with a flashlight let me see things differently, literally. The difference in the angle, color, intensity of the light, and changing contrasts showed the hide very clearly while it was invisible in the diffuse light of a cloudy day. So... just another tool in (or out of) the tool box.

Well, I'm not going to stop looking during the day. My point really was that if what you're doing isn't working, doing more of it probably won't work any better. Try something different. Looking at dusk with a flashlight let me see things differently, literally. The difference in the angle, color, intensity of the light, and changing contrasts showed the hide very clearly while it was invisible in the diffuse light of a cloudy day. So... just another tool in (or out of) the tool box.

Yes, you are right about that. ;)

I always wondered why they walked into a dark room with a small flashlight and didn't turn on the lights.

I spent over an hour hunting for a cache today and finally ran out of light. I got my cheapo flashlight ( the kind you have to bang on every once in a while to keep it lit) and made one last sweep. The light appearantly helped me focus because I was able to easily find the hide in a place I'd been within a foot of 3 or 4 times already.

Anyone else have similar experiences? or was I just lucky.

Because even with the overhead lights on, you can see everything much better with a good powerful flashlight held near eye level. I have one that I use every day just looking around. You would be amazed at the amount you miss because of shadows that don't seem to be all that dark.

The less ambient light you have, the less powerful flashlight you need.

In the day time if your trying to peek in to a hole of somekind, a minimaglite won´t do the job, you´ll need a big f***** light, while in the night time minimag will do fine.

Greetins from cold Finland

virtato

For the same reason that all the women on that TV show let their long hair drape down over the crime scene while they are collecting hair evidence. Just once I want them to find a hair and have it turn out to be their own because they didn't wear a hairnet.

Are they trying to look sexier for TV? Yes

Are they actually looking stupid? Yes

But do we all still love to watch it? Yes

Edited by GrnXnham

For the same reason that all the women on that TV show let their long hair drape down over the crime scene while they are collecting evidence--like hair! Just once I want them to find a hair and have it turn out to be their own because they didn't wear a hairnet.

Are they trying to look sexier for TV? Yes

Are they actually looking stupid? Yes

:rolleyes: It's funny to watch, though.

Just to throw out another possible explanation could it be they are not supposed to touch the lightswitches because it is possible there are latent prints on them? This could be a reason; but if it is, they destroy it in other ways like not wearing gloves, throwing evidence around, etc...

As far as caching with a flashlight. We are actually still scared of the woods at night :rolleyes: we hope that will dissapate over time); so we have only done a few night caches, but using the flashlight, I could see how it would help to focus more.

I used to do that kind of work. I can tell you, the first thing you look at, is the floor, with your flashlight.

You do not turn on any lights. The flashlight does help you focus and search just what is in the beam.

That way your eye does not become distracted by something else, in the room.

Besides, if the lights were off, then the crime scene should not be changed by turning them on.

After searching completely with your flashlight, then you turn on the lights and take in the whole scene.

I like the CSI tank tops, too !.... hehehehehe ;)