How Hardcore Are You?

Here in central connecticut we just got about 10 to 12 inches of snow dumped on us.... on top of the 6 or so inches that was already on the ground. It took me almost an hour to shovel out my car and driveway this morning and then 40 minutes to drive to work... normally it takes about 7 minutes. I get home and check my emails and see that I have over 50 emails from the past two days containing notifications from my watchlist.

What the heck?? No wonder I can never keep up in the "finds"! I already put my GPS unit away until the spring thaw!

Crazy people out there.... B)

I love to see what kinda critters are running around and leaving tracks.

It was in the 40's in the foothills when I went yesterday and I got to watch this guy walk up the stream.

592fbdc0-e329-4652-b0c4-188ef2279059.jpg

Very cool. B)

Yeah, critter tracks are fun, too; but the best thing about cold, snowy winter weather is that you usually don't have a muggle problem. I reckon you don't have much of a people problem at all. B)B)

Winter: no tree cover. Easiest time to hold good satellite reception (ignoring that the hider's reception in August may have been terrible). Best time to hide a cache with good coordinates under tree cover. Better views from the hilltops and ridges when there's no leaves blocking your line of sight to the valley below. And so forth.

With snow, who needs the gps?

Assuming you mean you can follow footprints, that doesn't work when going for FTF. This is from today's hunt, which took place during the storm the thread originator speaks of:

40fff692-1260-472d-b959-ad714dab3486.jpg

The only tracks we could follow were from snowmobiles.

-WR

Edited by WaldenRun

Hasn't snowed much in our part of Maryland yet. But we were out caching in the snow in Nov. This is our first winter caching so we weren't sure how we would like it. Well we love it. In fact I like it better than summer caching. I can't wait for even more snow - bring it on!

We have our first cache ready to hide. I went and got the first set of coords in Nov, then over Christmas break I had my husband try to find the location and he had almost the exact reading I did in Nov. We'll check the coords again when we actually place the hide but winter is great! We just ran out of zip lock bags so as soon as I get to the store the cache will be placed and I will do the page, so hopefully by this weekend the cache will be in place and sent in for approval.

We've talked about some caching strategy of trying to get in a bunch of wilderness finds before all the brambles grow back and then in the summer do some of the city caches. My poor husband had one PI almost all summer long.

We love winter caching so far!

We don't get huge amounts of snow here in Illinois, but we get our share. After the first big snowfall of the season, I couldn't wait to get out and find a cache. I managed a FTF on a cache in a field covered with snow.

Along with all the benefits of caching in winter that others have listed for me it's just plain fun....one of those 'stupid fun" kind of times. :lol:

FYI: Caching Through the Snow

Bret

I went to Antarctica to get a cache, does that qualify me as crazy?  :)

Woha - I just read your log.. Very nice! Wish I could go there some day. :rolleyes:

And yes - I've been out a couple of times this winter, my brand new 60csx will be arriving soon then i'm going to live on the streets doing caches for a few days..

Winter: no tree cover.  Easiest time to hold good satellite reception (ignoring that the hider's reception in August may have been terrible).  Best time to hide a cache with good coordinates under tree cover.  Better views from the hilltops and ridges when there's no leaves blocking your line of sight to the valley below.  And so forth.

That assumes you live in a part of the country where the leaves and tree part company in the winter. T'ain't the case here in the great Pacific Northwet. :rolleyes:

Winter: no tree cover.  Easiest time to hold good satellite reception (ignoring that the hider's reception in August may have been terrible).  Best time to hide a cache with good coordinates under tree cover.  Better views from the hilltops and ridges when there's no leaves blocking your line of sight to the valley below.  And so forth.

That assumes you live in a part of the country where the leaves and tree part company in the winter. T'ain't the case here in the great Pacific Northwet. :)

:yikes::rolleyes: I know exactly how you feel.

We've got a good bit of snow here in the NH/VT area as well. I'm all for caching in the snow... but when it gets dark at 4:30 and I don't get off work until 6, it makes it kind of hard... I typically have to wait until the weekends, but lately I've had to work those as well.

I'm stuck here in snowless Kentucky.  Looking at these pictures make me can't wait to move to Fairbanks in February.

Hey cool and welcome up! Let's go caching when you get here. What are you coming up for? Fairbanks is an awesome town.

I should be leaving here in about a month. I plan on driving up so that could take me anywhere from a week and a half to two weeks to do. Unfortunately I will probably only be there a few weeks before I get sent to Iraq, but I will be back next fall.

Ahhhh Ft. Wainwright. Well there are a lot of caches that are quick and easys right in town. February is when the Yukon Quest is also. (Toughest sled dog race in the world.) It starts in Fairbanks this year and is very exciting to watch. I drove up in December of 03 in a car with out even front wheel drive. If you are coming up the AlCan don't worry too much. They keep the roads pretty well sanded. You should get a copy of The Milepost, which covers every highway in the state. It also tells you which establishments are closed for the winter. Also, NEVER pass up a gas station with your gas tank under half full without filling up. Make sure to bring some tapes or CDs if you listen to music while you drive as there are hundreds of miles where no radio at all is available, not even AM. Good luck!

I just started geocaching and I thought I'd hate winter caching, but I'm really enjoying it. No bugs to worry about which is a big plus. I may find I enjoy it just as much as summer caching. Probaly won't go out too much in the snow, but it doesn't usually stick around long here in Indiana.

My caching partner and I purchased snow shoes for just such occasions. We have tried caching in deep snow without them, but it sucks to take half an hour to travel 100' when the snow is waist deep. By the way we didn't find that cache on that try. When we finally found the cache the next try we found that the coordinates were more than 50' off. :blink:

Edited by Night Stalker

Here in NC it has been 55 degrees and sunny, so perfect caching weather, although I have hunted on rainy days and so far when it has been 28 degrees out. We only get about one really good snow a year ( live in the foothills) we mainly get Ice and sometimes alot of that. but very mild this year. I was in the military and I was out in every type of weather you can imagine so I don't see a few flakes or a little puddle slowing me down. Cache ON!