Geocaching And 4x4ing

Ca_Ghost

Just thought I'd post this question cause the search feature isn't working for me and I can't find anyhting on this.

Just getting into this and was curious if there are many or any caches that are hidden in the back woods that require going 4x4ing to get to them?

A bunch of friends and I are just getting into this and thought this would be a great way to integrate the two.

Yes! We throw the Jeep into 4WD quite often while out caching. I'm not sure what sorts of opportunities you might have up in the Manteca area, but from my experiences caching in the So Cal deserts, if there are 4x4 trails to be found, it's fairly likely there will be a cache someplace nearby. We've discovered quite a few new off-roading playgrounds by picking an interesting-looking cache out in the boonies and making it the destination of our adventure for the day.

(one of ghost's friends)

I imagine we would be wheelin up by Long Barn or Strawbarry.

I have a Stanislaus National Forrest trail map, but how would we look up the trails that have caches? Is there a forum for trail caching?

This is how I do it.......might be the long way but it works. I find out the zip code for the area I want to cache and then get the caches and then go to the view map on one of the geocache pages and just keep moving it around until I find the area that I want to go to. There are some great people in San Diego that might be able to tell you about Goggle earth but right now I am still new to this so do not ahve that one conquered.

(one of ghost's friends)

I imagine we would be wheelin up by Long Barn or Strawbarry.

I have a Stanislaus National Forrest trail map, but how would we look up the trails that have caches? Is there a forum for trail caching?

I looked up Strawberry and found its zip code to be 95373 so I put that in under search and came up with one that actually has 4 wheel in the title GCK98D. When you get this page up then select nearby caches of this type from under the FIND heading.

To use the view map and move it around you do need to be a premium member. Good luck on having fun on your 4WD.

I hope this helps.