Gpsr Calibration

Bronson

Is there a way to make sure my GPSr is telling me the correct coordinates? If i place a cache how do i make sure i am giving the best coordinates for that hide? I'm sure this is basic stuff but i seem to be off by about 9yrds according to my reading over the spot of a cache. This seems to be consistant and i was wondering if it was normal.

There isn't any way to calibrate your GPSr. Its accuracy is going to change depending on several variables. In Joshua Tree National Park, I got 9' accuracy. In a nearby canyon, the best I could get was 32'. B)

That is why cachers looking for a cache should just put their GPSr away about 30 feet away from GZ and start using their eyes and their Geosense to find the cache . . . B)

Edit for typo . . . B)

Edited by Miragee

9 yds. (27 feet) is not all that bad overall. (not that good, but not that bad) Make sure you are using the correct datum. Also, pay attention to your accuracy when you click "mark". I will mark the spot and then back off 50 or so yds and follow the arrow back to the cache. If the arrow leads me to the right area I will keep the reading. Hope this helps.

I mentioned something about this in the Getting Started forum.

GPS receivers vary from day to day how accurate they are, but if you've got a Benchmark with a high accuracy of horizontal position nearby, you can see where your GPS places you at the zero point. Just make sure your coordinates are the same as the coordinates on the benchmark and in the same datum. Test it out.

But I'm SURE if you placed a Golf Ball Marker at the zero point today, and went back tomorrow, it'd be different. If it were accurate, would it be fun?