New Garmin "x" Series, Ique 3000 And New Forerunne

jotne

Yeah, and a $535 price tag. That's kind of an ouch, but- I'm sure it wont take long for the price wars to kick in, and we could pick it up for quite cheap(er). This will be my first unit, and I plan on buying the 60csx as well. I'm SURE that would be more than enough to dig up a few Altoids cans, right??? B)

Hmmm. It looks like only the 60C/Sx and 76C/Sx are getting the new SiRFfIII chipset. I was hoping to have this on a Legend C. Also, the 60Cx will come with a 64MB chip while the 76 gets 128MB. Figures.

Also the report says

The x-series units are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2006.
I'm not sure where you got the January date.

Edit: It appears that the chip will hold "MapSource Data." I'm not sure how that bodes for storing more waypoint info (larger notes). Is this maps and routes only?

Edited by Sputnik 57
Hmmm. It looks like only the 60C/Sx and 76C/Sx are getting the new SiRFfIII chipset. I was hoping to have this on a Legend C. Also, the 60Cx will come with a 64MB chip while the 76 gets 128MB. Figures.

Also the report says

Edit: It appears that the chip will hold "MapSource Data." I'm not sure how that bodes for storing more waypoint info (larger notes). Is this maps and routes only?

I was just reading about these and debating if it's worth the added price over the current versions. I'm looking at getting a 76cs, which already had 5x the memory of my current Vista, so the expandable memory while cool, isn't all that important to me.

What's the advantage to the SiRFfIII chipset? Is it worth waiting and coughing up the extra $$$?

Thanks for the heads up on dates.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand, the SiRF III chip takes a look at the input it is getting and starts playing "what ifs" with it. What if this fourth satellite signal was really bounced off of a building a 100 yards away? What if these three satellites have more atmosphereic interference than the rest? I'm not sure what these all are, but it does tens of thousands of what-ifs instantly to see if it can discover a more accurate position. As a result, it is more accurate, and can deal with weaker signals.

Here is a comparison:

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=3

I think I will stick with my CS forever, it does what I want. I dont really travel, I geocache every now and then, I use it mostly in the car for when I have to go to new schools to teach or to bug the crap out of friends with "8miles left dude, youre going 75MPH". I just hope they continue with the updates!!!

Hmmm.  It looks like only the 60C/Sx and 76C/Sx are getting the new SiRFfIII chipset.  I was hoping to have this on a Legend C.  Also, the 60Cx will come with a 64MB chip while the 76 gets 128MB.  Figures.

Also the report says

I was just reading about these and debating if it's worth the added price over the current versions. I'm looking at getting a 76cs, which already had 5x the memory of my current Vista, so the expandable memory while cool, isn't all that important to me.

What's the advantage to the SiRFfIII chipset? Is it worth waiting and coughing up the extra $$$?

Yes!!!! The Sirf3 chipset is heads and tails better than the old. It's that good. You can even lock on to sat. inside your home!

Anyone know FOR SURE....if the TF card, 128mb or whatever, is "in addition" to , and not "instead of" the original (in the case of my 76CS-115mb) memory?

I have never needed more than the 115, but then again I'm using Metroguide and Topo and not City Navigator with all it's POI.

I'm assuming thats the way it is, but assuming doesn't cut it sometimes.

Anyone know FOR SURE....if the TF card, 128mb or whatever, is "in addition" to , and not "instead of" the original (in the case of my 76CS-115mb) memory?

The 60csx / 60cs both include a 64Mb micro SD - so if you decide to upgrade you will replace the original memory in you unit. But you can carry both with you and exchange them whenever you like.

The micro SD is the ONLY available memory in your unit. The unit also has some basic firmware and basemap but that part of the memory is not accessible as RAM.