Now Thats Usefull

Would make a nice addition to nearby.org ?

Actully its something nearby.org.uk can do (if you know how!), just nowhere near as sleek B)

First enter the junction name into the Name Finder, however its quite strict and has to be like "M23 JUNCTION 10" (without the quotes of course)

You then should see the junction listed, along with its location, click that Grid Reference to be take to the location links.

On the location links page click the (Results) just after Location Meta Search, and hay presto everything (including caches!) will be listed that are within 5km. B)

Will see about adding an interface to select a motorway from a list, and then a junction number... (could even add a filter to only show caches....)

Shame they dont list caches as well B) B)

Brian, what happened to the motorway junction cache maps Ian created using the drawings he obtained from the CBRD (Chris's British Road Directory) website? Are they still on the GC:UK server somewhere?

While Brian is having his tea, I can answer that B)

For the M1:

http://stats.guk2.com/misc/motorway.php

and the same again for the M60:

http://stats.guk2.com/misc/motorway.php?mway=M60

Which are the only two motorways available at the moment!

(and if you into trigs then visit this page, where you can generate a list of trigs near to a motorway! Sadly not feasable at the moment with caches, constantly coming/going as lots of processing invloved to create the indexs)

Edited by barryhunter

hmm... how well is this researched? M5 Jct.19 mentions the Lodway Service Station, who's fuel costs more than the services at Jct.19. I think they still sell 4-star leaded, if they are open when you stop by. The petrol station on the other side - west of the junction-, in Portishead is one of the cheapest in the area.

The website also fails to mention a pub/restaurant near Jct.19 called 'The Priory' in Portbury, a stone's throw from the junction which always gets mentioned in other 'close to motorway' guides.

"5 minutes by Google!" sounds more like it.

(edit for spelling)

Edited by klaus23
hmm... how well is this researched? M5 Jct.19 mentions the Lodway Service Station, who's fuel costs more than the services at Jct.19. I think they still sell 4-star leaded, if they are open when you stop by. The petrol station on the other side - west of the junction-, in Portishead is one of the cheapest in the area.

I don't think 5 minutes away consider petrol prices - they just rely on the premise that non-motorway fuel is usually cheaper than motorway fuel. For price comparison, PetrolPrices.com is better, but you'll need to use streetmap to find out the postcode for your motorway junction.

I was trying to set up an M25 bookmark cache list (which failed) However, there is a GPX file with all the Motorway junctions as waypoints. GSAK users could then create arc filters based on each Motorway, set the parameters, and away you go! the reason the M25 one didn't work is that the points weren't in the correct sequence, so it created more of a spiders web then a circle!

Any thoughts?

Try this blog post for a file of junctions for GSAK. (incidently uses the same source as nearby.org.uk does, via an different route, thanks to the guy who manually plotted them all!)

Found via Google to search this forum "site:forums.Groundspeak.com motorway junction gpx" incase people dont know of the functionality.

Edited by barryhunter
There are currently 61 active caches within 1 mile of the M25 and I have them as a GPX file and a CSV file. I'm not sure if I can make them available without contravening the Terms and Conditions and I don't know a quick way of putting them into a bookmark list :lol:

there's a macro for creating a bookmark list from a GSAK filter. You still have to confirm each page (bit like logging) but it works well.