Garmin 60cs Routing By Vehicle Type

_BBQ_

I have a Garmin 60CS with North America City Select v7. On the second navigation menu page there is an option to select routing options by mode of transportation: car, truck, taxi, bike, etc. I have been somewhat disappointed by the routing performance of my unit. It always gets me where I want to go, but usually not by the smartest route. I haven't really seen any difference when I switch between the "fastest vs shortest" option.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the different vehicle type options in the navigation settings and what are the different conditions in which they should be used?

Thanks!

Edited by _BBQ_
I have a Garmin 60CS with North America City Select v7. On the second navigation menu page there is an option to select routing options by mode of transportation: car, truck, taxi, bike, etc. I have been somewhat disappointed by the routing performance of my unit. It always gets me where I want to go, but usually not by the smartest route. I haven't really seen any difference when I switch between the "fastest vs shortest" option.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the different vehicle type options in the navigation settings and what are the different conditions in which they should be used?

Thanks!

The routing offered by the 60cs and City Select will sometimes be "faster" or "better" than routes you would normally take in areas you're familiar with, and sometimes it will be a "slower" route than you already know. If you know how to get were you're going....don't bother with the GPS. It's impossible for a handheld unit to know all the "local" shortcuts and tricks to get where you are going. Local traffic conjestion is also not part of the routing "logic". It's when you don't know where you are going that the unit is invaluable. If I'm going to a new location, I just follow the turn directions...I'm not interested in saving 10 min. on a 1-1/2 hour drive....I just want to get there without a struggle, and constantly watching for the next turn.

With the vehicle type options....there are roads that have restrictions on commercial vehicles (trucks) and pedestrian traffic, and bicycles. If I route locally for a bicycle ride, the routing avoids using a major restricted Hwy (Palisades Interstate Parkway) because it knows bicycles and pedestrians are not allowed on the road. If I route to the same destination selecting "Car/ Motorcycle" , the unit now makes use of the Pal parkway because it knows my vehicle is in a category that's allowed to use the road.

Depending on the classification of roads in your area, and your final destination, sometimes the routing will be the same, sometimes it will be different.

For me there are Three great joys with autorouting......

First, you can tell everyone in the back seat to "shut Up" when it comes to directions. Even if you don't know where you're going Just follow the units guidance.

Second...when I'm going to someones house I've never been to, I just ask them for the address and request they spare me the details of "Take a left at the side street that looks like a dead end next to the Wendy's that is now a Burger King, after the 2nd red light....not the blinking red light...the solid one".

Third, when and if you do miss a turn, just recalculate and the unit will put you back on track.