South African 2005 Travel Bug Race Final Ranking

Africard

Congratulations to the winners of the South African 2005 Travel Bug Race to Cape Town!

1st place: TUFULA :o

2nd place: Dan Dolphin <_<

Prizes for competitors were awarded to:

1st prize: 5 Unactivated Travel Bugs (sponsored by Africard) - TB TUFULA, owned by Whostops.

2nd prize: Peugeot gift hamper (sponsored by Peugeot Pinetown) - TB Dan Dophin, owned by janputte.

Prizes for cachers assisting competitors were awarded to:

Caching goodies (sponsored by geocacher.co.za) - GlobalRat (longest distance covered carrying competing TB's - 5103.1 km)

Caching goodies (sponsored by geocacher.co.za) - Whostops (most trips provided to competing TB's - 9)

Some of The Race Statistics:

No of TB's entered in the Race: 8

No of cachers assisting participating TB's: 38

No of caches visited py participating TB's (total): 98

No of caches visited py participating TB's (unique): 62

Most visited cache (excluding start cache): Hilldrop View, KZN TB Hotel and Noon Gun - 4 visiting TB's each

Average no of days a TB stayed in a cache: 21.0 days

Most days spent in a cache: 84 days - Star Light in Womens Monument

TB's MIA (Missing in Action / Reported lost): 3- The Globe trotter in MADIBA TRAIL Bloemfontein, Earth Watcher in N1 Sandrivier - GMC001Z, Stealth Racer in Time for Tea and Paper Kings in Table Top Trove.

Least days spent in a cache: 1 - Several TB's

Average days spent travelling to the next cache: 7.2 days

Most days spent travelling to the next cache: 56 days - Paper Kings, before reaching Stainbank

Total distance from Start cache to Final cache: 1308.6km

Total distance travelled by participating TB's: 14398.0km !

Average distance travelled by participating TB's: 1799.7km

Average trips provided per cacher per participating TB: 2.37

Average distance travelled per cacher with participating TB's: 378.9km

Average distance travelled per cacher per participating TB carried: 118.3km

Most km's travelled between two caches: Voice Of Africa, 1264.3km, assisted by GlobalRat

Cacher assisting most TB's in the race: Whostops - 9

Total distance travelled per cacher, assisting more than one participating TB: 5103.1 - GlobalRat !!

Dan Dolphin completed The Race on the 5th June, 2005 following 132 tavelling days!

TUFULA completed The Race on the 22nd of December, 2005 following 355 travelling days!

2 TB's did not finish (DNF) The Race: Star Light and Voice Of Africa.

4 TB's went missing in action during the course of the Race: Stealth Racer, Paper Kings, The Globe Trotter and Earth Watcher.

From the organiser, thank you to all the cachers participating in The Race.

A total of 96 caches were visited by the participating TB's, 63 of these were unique!

A total of 14 398km were covered by participating TB's, much more by the participating cachers.

I personally enjoyed organising the event, meeting a lot of geocachers, learned a lot, and had fun doing so.

A very prosperous 2006 to all cachers.

Africard, many thanks for the race.

I had a lot of fun, although I did chew my fingernails a few times.

To all of you who helped move our TB's around, many thanks.

Janputte, I will be making contact soon.Maybe we can have a few beers together in Ballito & I can hand over your prize.

Edited by Whostops
<_< Picked up my second prize in the 2005 Travel Bug Race to Cape Town, a Peugeot travel bag full of goodies donated by Whostops. In it, found a bottle of old engine oil marked Peugeot Port, so must be from some left hand marine engine. To Africard for organising, the "movers" and the sponsors - a great game - thank you.,