Geo Coin On Ebay

mr.volkswagen

I was recently on ebay looking at Geocoins when I came across this one INDY DIVER GEOCOIN (Angst causing link removed by moderator, plus it's old news and that thread was already closed) This person found someones coin in a cache and is now selling it on ebay. The going price for this coin is at $520 and 10% of the sale go to a charity.

I can't believe someone would go out and get a coin out of a cache just so that they can sell it on ebay to make $$$.

mr.volkswagen

Edited by Eartha

I would'nt say He went out and grabbed geoswag for profit.

it was just a strange coin and almost nobody knew what it was back in 2002.

There has been two Indy Diver geocoins on E#$@ so far

you can find one of them by doing a competed items search.

Im looking forward to finding more Geocaches hidden by mr.volkswagen <_<

disclaimer

I don't wanna stir the pot and make anybody mad,

Just putting in my 2cents before this E#$@ thread gets locked :o

Mr. Volkswagon, the only reason that I say this is an old topic is because there have been alot of coins sold on that "E" place and many of them have sold for hundreds of dollars. There have been Moun10bike coins for over $1000.00 there was a PA Black Nickel that was sold for over $1700.00 for charity and other countless coins that have sold for large dollar values. Those Migo seasonals sell for an average of $175.00 to $250.00 per coin.

As long as coins keep getting minted and people keep buying from that "E" place there will always be that question of ethics. Believe me and others when I tell you there have been many hours wasted debating the question "is it right or wrong" to sell your coins once you have posession of them.

well if the coin was left as swag it is his coin.... but I think what he might be guilty of is not trading even or up... I am guessing that he did not leave a $500 trade in the cache.... of course someone else left a $500 coin in a cache so who can you really blame.... of course it might not have had a E value of $500+ when it was left there but it does now.

So really who can you blame?

If you found $500 cash in a cache should you do?

Leave it?

Keep it and spend it?

Keep it but don't spend it?

How is this sale any different than a person going to a garage sale and picking up an item for a quarter, then appearing on Antiques Roadshow 5 years later and the item is valued at thousands of dollars? I'd sell certainly sell whatever the item was.

Of course, in a couple of years we could all have a beanie baby/pogs/pokemon card price collapse and we'll be able to get on with the real collections, eh?

My Dear Mr Volkswagon:

I am the person that has the Indy Diver coin for sale, and I am truly sorry you have such a hateful, negative opinion of me. I did not "go and get the coin just to sell it", as you asserted. I have been a geocacher since 2001, and found the coin the coin in July, 2002. It has been in my jewelry box since.

Having recently been approached by several cachers making offers for the coin, I realized that they have become collectable and decided to offer it for sale. By the way, I am a single female county employee - 911 dispatcher, so please forgive me as I try to make ends meet and buy a tank of LP gas for the winter !

Also, I have communicated with Indy Diver several times, and he is fine with the sale. Knowing that he has been diagnosed with MS prompted me to give a part of the sale to that charity. Hopefully you will also make a donation.

If you have further comments on my character, please contact me personally rather than posting them on a public forum.

Cisupete

Why is there such a problem with validly obtained geocoins being sold anywhere? Is it because some people don't have the opportunity to get that coin themselves?

I don't have the opportunity to get a Rembrandt painting, but I certainly don't complain about the fact that many people make millions of $ auctioning them off when the original buyer probably didn't pay much of anything for it when it was painted.

Now if it was marked as a travelling coin then that is something else, as then it wasn't really obtained validly. But a FTF or geoswag or traded for or even bought should be fine to sell for what ever someone is willing to pay for it.

I don't think it is much different than trading a pile of other coins for Moun10bike as many have done, it is just using a different form of "currency"

My personal opinion on the E* matter... if you don't like to see coins there, don't look for them there. Otherwise take the complaint to the whining thread.

-Mike

*edit:

As far as geoswag value... a geocoin generally costs $3-7 to be minted. It is my opinion that swag value is NOT e* value or even rarity value. so even today, a IndyDiver or Moun10bike coin as geoswag should be able to traded for any other geocoin (except an activated traveller)

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

Not So Lost Puppies & kayakerinme,

I very much aggree with your posts

I am so very tired of the people in these forums posting Anti "E" posts.

the I hate "E" People remind me of a little child crying to his mommy "billy has better/more expensive toys than I do" <_<:o;);)

Edited by SunshineGang

If the coin is not trackable then my opinion is that "ownership" is with the person that has traded the coin in the cache. At least it wasn't muggled and is sitting in a riverbed somewhere.

It was a nice courtesy to contact the original coin owner and ask their thoughts on the sale and also nice to donate a portion of the profits.

For what it's worth -- if anyone has one of "my" coins, it is now "your" coin -- do what you will with it. (I recommend attaching it to your dog).

If you are in possession of one of my "Travel Bugs" (coin or tag) -- then please move it to another cache.

Simple really.

I don't know why everyone gets their dander all in a fluff because of this eBay issue. This is a free (and strongly capitalistic) market, my friends. If "it" has value to someone, "it's" for sale somewhere. Beyond being a site to auction and buy items, eBay is a tool that allows people to look at an abbreviated version of the market... to see what is and isn't popular. I personally am grateful to see that our hobby is so popular that nearly every listing for a Geocoin has at least one bid for it. Not to mention that a lot of the proceeds are going to charities.

Like I said on another board about this issue... If you don't like it, don't do it. If your ethical stance on this issue is that coins should only be traded, found, or preordered then stick to it. I personally believe that if I can get a coin I want in trade, great... if I can't and it is on eBay and within what I am willing to spend, then that's how I'm gonna get it.

I want you to know, this is in no way an attack on you, Mr. Volkswagon. I know a lot of people feel the way you do and that I may be stepping on some toes. This is just this little lizrd's opinion.

I see no shortage of people bidding what is readily available on my available list, yet when I contact someone about a trade for what's on their available list and have something they are seeking, I am not even dignified with a response. I am beginning to think that selling them is the way to go, cause trading seems to be too difficult. (I know #b@y, whining and drama all in one post)

I guess I am a bad capitalist...

Capitalism has nothing to do with how much money you keep. It has more to do with the ability to earn money in a free and open market. Many great Capitalists have also been great Philanthropists. The more you have, the more you can give. (If you choose to do so.) If you can find a way to earn money... whether you keep it or give it away, then you are a good capitalist. B)

[/tired of Capitalism being a 4-letter word]

The only thing about selling the coins on ebay which I disagree with is the fact that people are bidding/paying too much for coins that are still available at the original $8.

there are "milestone coins' for sale at the caching place dot com, at that price, yet I see people paying $15 dollars for them+shipping. thats a rip off.

The only thing about selling the coins on ebay which I disagree with is the fact that people are bidding/paying too much for coins that are still available at the original $8.

there are "milestone coins' for sale at the caching place dot com, at that price, yet I see people paying $15 dollars for them+shipping. thats a rip off.

Caveat emptor

I have been at several Geocaching Events where cachers have displayed their collections, both collectable and tradeable. Many have discussed deals with others for different coins and or currency. My opinion - Hey folks, it's just Supply and Demand. As long as someone is willing to buy something which there aren't many of, or, are of high demand, so be it.

Ebay is basically an international garage sale for many oddities. I include geocoins as "oddities" because not that many people out there know what they are (besides 'cachers, of course, and 'cachers make up a minute part of the world's population...for now anyway!)

If people aren't breaking the law or the rules of geocaching, so be it. There are deals made here on the forums for geocoins, etc. There are parts of the forums to sell and buy gps and geocaching related equipment. Don't see a difference.

Yes, and should every store that sells something at a higher price than Amazon state clearly that you could get it cheaper online? The bidding usually starts at below market value. If people bid over the retail price, well, that's the way auctions are. No one forces them to bid too much. There is no deception. No rip off....

Full disclosure: I often sell there, so I am certainly biased.

I price all coins with a "buy it now" price that is a bit BELOW the recent average sales price. But coins often get bid above that price. So they could have bought it for less, but got caught up in the auction. I don't sell coins that could still be purchased, just because it doesn't make sense for me to do it.

I guess I'm a real sucker.........I end up passing along coins at my cost + a mere 2 to 3 percent markup to cover my time. I just enjoy sharing with others so that I may support my own habit.

To that "E-place"...I say "Get lost", I will not pay those prices....

Just my .02 dollars worth.

All I can say is remember Cabbage Patch Kids, Beanie Babies, and Tickle me Elmos, all hot sellers at one time, pay 5.00 dollars and sell it for 100! Now you can't give those things away...

Right now there are way to many geocoins coming out and Geocoins are on the same path as Beanie Babies.There are Geocoins for hurricans, Geocoins for making phone calls, Geocoins for modes of transportation to find a geocache, etc. Heck there are geocachers with 20 cache finds making geocoins! Soon the bottom will fall out and Geocachers who make 500 coins to sell and save 20 for caches will stop making the geocoins because everyone will only focus on the coins they want. E***, the dreaded forbidden zone is a hot bed for everyone to keep up on their collections. Its also a good place for collectors to sell coins in time of need such as a death in the family, serious illness, gotta support my family, selling my collection so a child in Kazakastan can go to college. As long as there is a need and "geocachers" wanting everycoin in their collection, they will pay crazy prices for geocoins. I go to E*** (Jedi0711) often and buy geocoins I can't get in trade. I myself get upset with what I see but I have since said the heck with it and buy what I like.

My post is off topic however I have to admit I was kinda surprised that only 10 percent of the sales for the Indy Diver geocoin went to charity.

I am totally "on topic" with you...CS

I guess I'm just tired of seeing posts about the E-place........

And, I have seen coins being sold there for absolutely ridiculous prices, including my own! I was appalled to see one of my coins going for $31!!! Heck, that's nearly 10 times what they cost me to get made......I wish the person who bought it, would have just contacted me directly...I could have saved them a bunch of money.

That is capitalism at it's finest..........

The problem is, the people in the forum hang out enough we know where to get the coins. Where does someone who doesnt even know about these forums go and get a coin? They go to e.... People also buy Travel Bugs off E.....

I also frequent another forum, one that has to do with airline miles. I fly about 200k miles a year. The same thing happens there as well. The people on the forum know alot about how to get the most points/miles and are surprised the general public doesnt know how to maximize the points for each trip.

nielsenc

I was recently on ebay looking at Geocoins when I came across this one INDY DIVER GEOCOIN (Angst causing link removed by moderator, plus it's old news and that thread was already closed) This person found someones coin in a cache and is now selling it on ebay. The going price for this coin is at $520 and 10% of the sale go to a charity.

I can't believe someone would go out and get a coin out of a cache just so that they can sell it on ebay to make $$$.

mr.volkswagen

Happens all the time. Aint it nice to know you can buy these, put them in circulation to play, and have others profit from your expenses you put out.

I guess I am a bad capitalist...

Capitalism has nothing to do with how much money you keep. It has more to do with the ability to earn money in a free and open market. Many great Capitalists have also been great Philanthropists. The more you have, the more you can give. (If you choose to do so.) If you can find a way to earn money... whether you keep it or give it away, then you are a good capitalist. :lol:

[/tired of Capitalism being a 4-letter word]

What he said.

When I check out stuff on that site, I have tried to help out some of the bidders of still available coins. I just send them a quick message with a link to the original site where they can still buy them. Usually it was for the 2005 USA geocoins, but there have been a couple others as well.

I see nothing at all wrong with that site. If you are upset someone else is making money on your coin, don't sell it in the first place. Only make single in person trades, or something like that.

I don't really understand why the geocoin craze has gotten so bad, seems alot people will buy any coin, even if they had never heard of the cacher before. I understand getting ones you like the artwork, or because of some personal relevance (the beerman and workerofwood coins I traded for because homebrew and do woodworking) but at this point in time most the others have no meaning to me. Meeting the cacher, finding their caches, etc. would also count towards a personal relevance and desire for a coin.

What I find interesting is that in an auction -- the highest bidder is the loser.

After all, buying a good or service for more money than anyone else is willing to pay immediately means you have paid more than it is worth to anyone else.

Again -- things will return to normal once the "appitite" for coins has subsided. I am very glad that there are 5-10 new coins coming out each week. This will move them from collectible to commodity and (hopefully) to caches.

I can't wait until McToys become collectable!

"I can't BELIEVE you placed a Hamburgler version one in a CACHE!"

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

My post is off topic however I have to admit I was kinda surprised that only 10 percent of the sales for the Indy Diver geocoin went to charity.

Seems pretty generous to me seeings how it is voluntary. Nobody is required to donate but when someone does you make such a comment?

How very rude! :laughing:

I read this a bit differently. I thought he meant "I was surprised that the Indy Diver coin went for so much given that only 10% went to charity." All posts are open to interpretation, I guess and I choose to read it that way since that is what I myself was thinking. :unsure:

--Marky

What hasn't been covered? Hashed out, beat to death and rehashed? I just brought back from the depths some threads that are still active that may answer questions to some of the new folks here... then maybe they can continue whatever issues they have, in an already open thread rather than continue starting new ones about the same old things... I'm sure I'm not the only one that can come up with threads that cover the topics you want to discuss. What I don't get I guess, is what you are wanting to get out of this... you know not everyone is gonna agree on it.

I can tell you what I feel Cornerstone wanted...an argument. It was pretty much a given that posting yet another thread on the same topic would open the same can of worms. Worms, by now, which are all shriveled up and not very good for bait.

What I don't get I guess, is what you are wanting to get out of this... you know not everyone is gonna agree on it.

For starters...stop looking for a hidden agenda...there isn't one.

Like I said in another post today...I got tired of all the same old arguments in the general topics forum about logging multiple finds on events. I surprised even myself when I realized my opinion had changed over time...so the endless discussions weren't totally pointless as far as I am concerned.

That's all I had hoped for in here...some discussion...

What hasn't been covered? Hashed out, beat to death and rehashed? I just brought back from the depths some threads that are still active that may answer questions to some of the new folks here... then maybe they can continue whatever issues they have, in an already open thread rather than continue starting new ones about the same old things... I'm sure I'm not the only one that can come up with threads that cover the topics you want to discuss. What I don't get I guess, is what you are wanting to get out of this... you know not everyone is gonna agree on it.

I can tell you what I feel Cornerstone wanted...an argument. It was pretty much a given that posting yet another thread on the same topic would open the same can of worms. Worms, by now, which are all shriveled up and not very good for bait.

Well in case someone missed this can of worms, new perspective on old topics must be good as evidenced by this POST

Well in case someone missed this can of worms, new perspective on old topics must be good as evidenced by this POST

Are you stalking me or something? I mean, I know I am all that but come on...

Oh...were you meaning to add anything intelligent?

The FTF before publishing isn't a can of worms topic. This is. Try to come up with something better...kthxbye.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Are you stalking me or something? I mean, I know I am all that but come on...

Oh...were you meaning to add anything intelligent?

The FTF before publishing isn't a can of worms topic. This is. Try to come up with something better...kthxbye.

This is another pat answer, come up with something better.

No stalking here, just think it is funny that one day it is ok, the next day it is not. That is what I call original thinking.

Cornerstone asks a legitimate question and your all over him like white on rice, but just days before, you have done the same thing with a beaten topic. Why is it ok for you, but not for Cornerstone?

Perspectives change, over time, as evidenced by his post on multiple logs, but these changes come about because of discussion, yours appear to just change to fit the moment.

This is another pat answer, come up with something better.

No stalking here, just think it is funny that one day it is ok, the next day it is not. That is what I call original thinking.

Cornerstone asks a legitimate question and your all over him like white on rice, but just days before, you have done the same thing with a beaten topic. Why is it ok for you, but not for Cornerstone?

Perspectives change, over time, as evidenced by his post on multiple logs, but these changes come about because of discussion, yours appear to just change to fit the moment.

Cornerstone asked a question knowing it would start a flame war...I didn't.

I actually searched for an answer to my question before posting...he didn't.

Therein lies the difference.

Back and forth, back and forth. The only thing new members are going to learn from this--you "established" members--is that this behavior is acceptable.

To the original post, since this was bumped from January - to buy or sell on eBay is your choice: obviously. To each his own. Don't like it? Don't go there. :laughing:

Edited by JeepinCalifornia