Explorist 210 Help Needed

Iowa Tom

I just bought an eXplorist 210 for my son but I am having trouble with the USB cord. My laptop (Dell with XP) gives me an error message saying that it does not recognize the USB device. I installed (twice) the eXplorist CD that says that it has the USB software on it. Now I am having trouble, not just with that but understanding how to work with importing waypoints from geocaching.com to the part of the software called “Geocache Manager.” Does anybody else have an eXplorist 210 and have you successfully downloaded waypoints to and out of the Geocache Manager?

Thanks!

-it

PS I just realized that I should have posted this in the GPS unit/software forum. Ooops.

Edited by Iowa Tom

On my new explorist XL i found out you have to follow the directions to the letter.

Such as connect to computer, turn on unit ect.

We were not doing it in the exact sequence it asked for and kept coming up with the same error message.

Also make sure you run the Magellion instalation disk.

again I have an XL so I dont know if it is the same but I had to download the way points to the hard drive of my computer then look it up in the manager. I also found that is you are a member and can do queries that you get more information from a gpx file than a loc file.

Edited by Suziq

You may want to take a look at page 30 (or 33, as reported by Acrobat) of the manual. It shows how the file system is set up in your receiver. When it is connected to your PC, it appears as a removable drive, kind of like the USB flash drives or portable hard drives people use. Instead of using the Geocache Manager, you can use a program like GSAK or GPSBabel to convert GPX or LOC files from geocaching.com to the geocache format used by the eXplorist. You can then copy/cut the converted files from your computer, and paste them into the according folder in the eXplorist. Just like you would with any other file on your computer. Again, check out the manual to see how folders are set up on the receiver.