Hello, New And Gps Question!

melissaamy

Ok, so I am not relaly new. I have been reading the geocaching site for over 3 or 4 years now. I love the idea, but I have not had a GPS as of yet.

So my question is, we have found one we think is good, but wanted opinions on it...

The Garmin eTrex Vistc C Thoughts? opinions?

Also, Hello! I just figured how to get into the forums so here I am. The husband and I are looking forward to hearing what folks think of the Garmin and look forward to posting our first cache soon!

melissaamy

I have the Garmin Vista C and like it very much. :)

It is also very durable . . . I dropped it off a cliff and when we found it at the bottom, it was still on. :)

I got the City Select software with the beanbag automount and cigarette lighter adapter for it for about $145.00. Amazon.com had the Vista C on sale for only $229.00, but I think the price has gone up now.

I have the Garmin Vista C and like it very much. :)

It is also very durable . . . I dropped it off a cliff and when we found it at the bottom, it was still on. :)

Agrred, the Vista C is very nice, and very durable. I dropped mine in a beaver pond that I was crossing over on a slippery log. When we fished it out of the water, it was still pointing right toward the cache :lol:

how about ease of use for a new GPS user (as in never used one ever!)?

Is it easy to figure out and then use it? Do I need to buy additional software to being with? Or can I go with the initially installed stuff and start cahe hunting once I buy it?

And thanks for the input!

I got a Garmin Vista C for Christmas and like it so far. It's the only GPS I've ever touched so I don't really have a good source of comparison. I found four caches New Year's Day. WOOHOO! Since you are both owners I thought I'd ask a couple of questions. Thanks for your time.

1. I am unable to download waypoints from EasyGPS to my Vista C. It will only allow a serial port connection to be chosen from the properties setup and the Vista C uses USB. Is there another program that will allow downloading via a USB?

2. I don't understand the format of the Long / Lat. coordinates on the cache website.

For example:

N 32 48.871

W 096 50.662 on the cache website translates to

-96.844367 on Mapquest and EasyGPS. Can someone explain?

Thanks!

If you are using EasyGPS, I think there is a choice for the Garmin GPSMap 60CS. Choose that unit.

However, I downloaded GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) and, even though the learning curve was pretty steep for me, find it to be indispensible.

I can filter the Geocaches from my Pocket Queries then send them to the GPSr. Then I Export those same caches in Mapsource format to put them on my map and visualize my caching adventure. Finally, I Export to Cachemate format and put the data on my old Palm M500 so I can cache "paperless." :)

Someone else will have to explain the coordinate stuff for you. I sort of understand it, but not enough to explain. However, you can change the format in your GPSr and on your Mapsource software. We did that recently for some waypoints created in Google Earth.

I got a Garmin Vista C for Christmas and like it so far. It's the only GPS I've ever touched so I don't really have a good source of comparison. I found four caches New Year's Day. WOOHOO! Since you are both owners I thought I'd ask a couple of questions. Thanks for your time.

1. I am unable to download waypoints from EasyGPS to my Vista C. It will only allow a serial port connection to be chosen from the properties setup and the Vista C uses USB. Is there another program that will allow downloading via a USB?

2. I don't understand the format of the Long / Lat. coordinates on the cache website.

For example:

N 32 48.871

W 096 50.662 on the cache website translates to

-96.844367 on Mapquest and EasyGPS. Can someone explain?

Thanks!

N 32 48.871

W 096 50.662 Is listed in Degrees minutes and decimal minutes. There are 60 minutes in a degree.

-96.844367 is listed in decimal degrees

The other format is Degrees minutes seconds

The Vista is a great unit and Garmin has the best support in the world.