Having Coins Made

The Amigos

O.k., this might not be the place to post this question, but since I'm still almost a newbie, maybe you'll forgive me.

We have a group here in Abilene, TX, that just started a year ago. We would love to have a geocoin of our own, but money is short, and honestly, I don't even know where to start to look at ordering them, or finding out the cost. Is there a minimum number of coins that you have to have made? If the minimum is more than we need, can we sell the rest?

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Our group is GAGA!! (Greater Abilene Geocaching Association)

O.k., this might not be the place to post this question, but since I'm still almost a newbie, maybe you'll forgive me.

We have a  group here in Abilene, TX, that just started a year ago. We would love to have a geocoin of our own, but money is short, and honestly, I don't even know where to start to look at ordering them, or finding out the cost. Is there a minimum number of coins that you have to have made? If the minimum is more than we need, can we sell the rest?

www.geocoinstore.com

these guys are the same guys run WWW.GEOCOINCLUB.COM

they are actually minting and selling coins for cachers with no up front investment required. they will sell all or part of your coins on thier site. they do the design and everything. oh yeah and you keep any profits. how cool is that?

We have a  group here in Abilene, TX, that just started a year ago. We would love to have a geocoin of our own, but money is short, and honestly, I don't even know where to start to look at ordering them, or finding out the cost. Is there a minimum number of coins that you have to have made? If the minimum is more than we need, can we sell the rest?

www.geocoinstore.com

these guys are the same guys run WWW.GEOCOINCLUB.COM

they are actually minting and selling coins for cachers with no up front investment required. they will sell all or part of your coins on thier site. they do the design and everything. oh yeah and you keep any profits. how cool is that?

The Caching Place offers coins with no upfront investment as well.

I'm not familar with what mint each of the middlemen deal with (there are few actual mints and many companies that sell for those mints), but I personally have not been overly thrilled with the quality of the engraving on the GCC coins produced by geocoinstore. But that's just my personal opinion. Love their GCC coins but not the tracking numbers.

Hello Amigos:

Surely as a group, organisation or association you want a trackable (and iconed) coin?

Trackable: $1,50 per coin

Own Statistic Icon: $150

So first you need a coin design and then a minter for 1000 coins (minimum for organisations)

5. The following coin manufacturers are familiar with our geocoin policies and can assist you with other details.

If you contact them, they can provide you with pricing and art samples.

www.coinsandpins.com

www.personalgeocoins.com

www.coinsforanything.com

www.oakcoins.com

www.thecachingplace.com

The price is based upon the coin options you take, for example: Colors, Finishes, Numbering.

You can calculate between $5 - $8 US Dollar

The price is based upon the coin options you take, for example: Colors, Finishes, Numbering.

I am surprised at how many coins have been quoted at these high prices. Our GBA Faultline coin cost less than $3.75 to make, and my personal coin (which had 3 dies, 12 colors and some tricky features) cost only a bit over $5.50. Obviously a big chunk of the price can go to tracking and icons, so you have to decide who you are making these for. If your group just wants a nice trade item, save the money. If they want to have leverage with the world coin market, then maybe having an icon would help (probably ANY coin with an icon would sell 1000 in preorders on this site, so don't worry about that).

Some companies will get the whole process underway with little or no cash. My supplier went through the whole design process and would not take any money until we pulled the trigger at the end. Then they had it in my hands in less than 3 weeks.

I had a local artist (the ever awesome Lynn from Digitalfish) do the graphics based on some rough ideas I had, then I sent them to the supplier, and they had die art back to me in just a few days that looked pretty good. I don't think you need to offer much, just describe what you want and let them get you started. With 300+ coins out there, you can probably just pick desirable elements.

The Caching Place wanted $70 up front for the artwork. That money is applied to my first coin order, but I can let them sell all the coins and not keep any if I wanted to go that way (I'm not!) and they handle all the shipping and everything. I'll probably get 100 or so to keep for trades and let them sell the rest.

Good luck and put me down for two!

I am surprised at how many coins have been quoted at these high prices. Our GBA Faultline coin cost less than $3.75 to make, and my personal coin (which had 3 dies, 12 colors and some tricky features) cost only a bit over $5.50. Obviously a big chunk of the price can go to tracking and icons, so you have to decide who you are making these for. If your group just wants a nice trade item, save the money. If they want to have leverage with the world coin market, then maybe having an icon would help (probably ANY coin with an icon would sell 1000 in preorders on this site, so don't worry about that).

I used to think $5-$8 was high also until I produced my own coin.

On a minting of 500 coins, after adding the icon, tracking on the website and shipping to the buyers all over the globe, I had to add an additional $1500 to the cost of producing and distributing this coin.

Having the icon was important to me so I would'nt have done it any other way, but it does add quite a bit to the cost (per coin), especially on a low minting number (under 500).

Alright, I'm going to sound really stupid now, but what is an icon on a coin? I know what the tracking number is. We are a small group and won't need 500 coins.

*sputter* *cough* What?!? Won't need 500? If you offer it for purchase outside of your group, you will! B)

If you already have your artwork done, I'd suggest that you look at www.oakcoins.com since they are running a special until Jan 15th. As long as you start the process (i.e. submit your artwork to them), I think you get the special price, even if you don't pay until after the 15th. At least, that's what I heard.

They do offer gc.com tracking on orders of as few as 50 geocoins.

--Marky

Alright, I'm going to sound really stupid now, but what is an icon on a coin? I know what the tracking number is. We are a small group and won't need 500 coins.

Marky is right. There are several hundred rabid collectors out there who would want a group coin like this in their collection (we will all have seperate binders for Texas at the rate this is going). You will be deluged with emails asking to buy or trade. 500 is not as many as it seems, if the design is well done or clever, you could burn through a thousand.

There are several hundred rabid collectors out there who would want a group coin like this in their collection

Rabid?

I'll have you know I resemble that remark!

;):lol:

I think my behavior around coins borders more on rabid than just addiction... I'm sure I've been seen foaming in the presense of Mauisons collection ;)

After reading through the coin forum, I have to say that I did not realize that geocoin collecting was such a big thing. Boy was I wrong with that assumption! I have been looking at some of the artwork that you all have put on your coins. AWESOME! I just hope that we can put out a product that will compare with some of these! I have been talking with some of the others in our group trying to come up with our artwork.

So I guess my next question is... I noticed that several people say they would be interested in having one of the coins when they are finished. When you send your idea to the manufacturer, and get everything ready to go, do you post that you are going to have a coin to sell or trade at that point? Or do you get orders first, so that you have an idea of how many to have made? I noticed that some coins say they are from a limited edition, and then there are other coins (of a lesser quality?) offered? Tell me a little bit about this, please.

Thanks for all the help! Peggy (The Amigos)

After reading through the coin forum, I have to say that I did not realize that geocoin collecting was such a big thing. Boy was I wrong with that assumption! I have been looking at some of the artwork that you all have put on your coins. AWESOME! I just hope that we can put out a product that will compare with some of these! I have been talking with some of the others in our group trying to come up with our artwork.

So I guess my next question is... I noticed that several people say they would be interested in having one of the coins when they are finished. When you send your idea to the manufacturer, and get everything ready to go, do you post that you are going to have a coin to sell or trade at that point? Or do you get orders first, so that you have an idea of how many to have made? I noticed that some coins say they are from a limited edition, and then there are other coins (of a lesser quality?) offered? Tell me a little bit about this, please.

Thanks for all the help!  Peggy  (The Amigos)

Email sent for your questions.

Some people pre-order to help pay for the coins up front, some people pre-order so they know how many to mint.

Get your artowrk, post it, then offer pre-orders is normaly the way it goes around here.

I will buy one of each iof whatever you make :) .

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys

Thanks for all the help! Peggy (The Amigos)

I made the mistake of telling before; lining up a pre-order because I thought that it was members only. I was wrong my coin sale is open to all. I had to go back and explain the situation which left many confused... and possibly a little upset. My advice is to find out exactly how your sale will run. If you do decide to mention information regarding your coin I would wait until you have ALL details. I go through www.geocoinstore.com and chose the option of no $$$ needed unlike other coin companies. I have chosen my own art, if you need help with the artwork or anything else just let me know. And as far as the whole "coins wanted" situation, yeah like vultures on road kill. E-Bay, Geoswag, and The Cache Place, Coins & Pins are great for sales. Go to http://www.geocoinclub.com/affiliate.php?i...K318379S735480X to join a monthly coin club. Order several, one to keep, some to trade, some to e-Bay, etc. Good luck!

~Amy

We have our coin going on sale on the 15th @ 9:00 pm, go to The Geocoin Store We purchased 500, they keep 400 to sell, ship, the whole package. After they sell their first 100 we are then sent the remaining 100 for whatever.

The artwork can be of anything, I personally use my "scrapbook" program to develop our coin and others. Let me know if you need help. The icon, which reflects on the coin (ours is a small shamrock), is the picture that shows under your profile along with the caches and travelbugs.

We ordered a minimum of 500 so we could have our own icon and have it be trackable on GC.com. I wish I would have done 1000 coins, it may sound like a lot, but as I said "vultures on road kill"! Trackable, nontrackable, wooden, metal, it doesn't matter. You will also see where more than one is made; one silver, one gold.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

.... Obviously a big chunk of the price can go to tracking and icons, so you have to decide who you are making these for. ....

The cost for tracking numbers and the custom icon are expensive. With a minimum of 500 coins @ $1.50 each for tracking (personal coins) and the $150 fee for the custom icon, the cost for just tracking and icon alone is $900. This doesn't even count for any minting or engraving costs. Organizations must have a minimum of 1000 coins. So that definatley impacts the cost of a coin.

....Anthus

.... Obviously a big chunk of the price can go to tracking and icons, so you have to decide who you are making these for. ....

The cost for tracking numbers and the custom icon are expensive. With a minimum of 500 coins @ $1.50 each for tracking (personal coins) and the $150 fee for the custom icon, the cost for just tracking and icon alone is $900. This doesn't even count for any minting or engraving costs. Organizations must have a minimum of 1000 coins. So that definatley impacts the cost of a coin.

....Anthus

Not neccessarily, read my above statement.

500 Coins

400 Sold for you (selling, shipping, customer service)

100 Given to you

Possible profit

Beautiful coin

Trackable

Personal Icon

500... 1000... Not that much

No die cut fee

You can make your own coin, cost free, pain free, no hidden costs.

....Anthus

Not neccessarily, read my above statement.

500 Coins

400 Sold for you (selling, shipping, customer service)

100 Given to you

Possible profit

Beautiful coin

Trackable

Personal Icon

500... 1000... Not that much

No die cut fee

You can make your own coin, cost free, pain free, no hidden costs.

Like you, we are also going thru the geocoinstore.com. I have nothing but nice things to say about them so far (my coin not on sale until Jan 27). They are extremely nice and will help with the entire process and I mean the entire process including tracking numbers. They'll even figure out how many coins you have to sell and at what price in order for you to make a profit or to breakeven and have coins for yourself or a combo of both.

Coins certainly do not have to have tracking numbers, but if you want tracking numbers via geocaching.com be aware that they are expensive. I'm not saying that you won't recoop the costs through the sale, because you certainly will. I'm just saying that the tracking fees will need to added to the price that you will need to charge for your coin in order to make a profit or to breakeven on coins. For example if I didn't have the $900 fees in tracking numbers and the custom icon then I could sell my coin for a $1.80 cheaper with the same breakeven figures. But then again my coin wouldn't be trackable or have a custom icon, which I really wanted to have for my coin. So the extra production costs were justifiable for me.

Someone was asking why coins were so expensive when they were only costing $3-4 to mint. Minting costs depend on many things, type of metal, number of colors, type of finish, tracking numbers, etching, number of coins minting, edging, type of engraving (3D, 2D), etc. The geocoinstore will help you sift through all the options and yes, in most cases you wont have to front the costs -- my favorite part :antenna:

P.S. The charges for the tracking numbers and custom icon go to Groundspeak. I don't believe the geocoinstore is making anything off that.

O.K. I have read through all the posts, over and over again! There are some really good points here for a newbie wanting to have a coin made. I really didn't have a clue where to start! Thank you all so much for all the help. I know a lot of (newbie) people are afraid of asking questions here because they are afraid of being laughed off the page, but you all really made my day with all the information!

Our group meeting is Saturday, and I have printed off all the information you all have shared with me. I'm going to pass it around and show them that we can do this.

We can have a group coin that will benefit our group financially, as well as have some coins for ourselves (and have plenty to share!!).

Now to get everybody together and get it rolling (uh....coining?) (no....MINTED!!).

Steve, our faithful leader, where are you????!!!!!!

As a group, if we wanted to keep 150 - 200 coins to buy ourselves, and/or drop in caches, how many coins do you think we would need to have made for the group to make a profit? Our group has a little over 100 people in it. I don't know that everybody would want a coin, but then, I know several of us would want 2 or 3. So we could potentially buy 200 of our own coins.

Do people like coins with more color? What appeals to you? Odd shapes? What size (1.5", 1.75". 2")

Any suggestions?

Profit -- Are they trackable with icon, if so then you will need to sell a few more to make moer profit, but those things will help it sell. I bet you could pre-sell 500 coin in 24 hours or less.

Color -- Depends on design some look good with lots of collor some look good with no color.

Shapes -- I like them our coin is a triangel but others prefer round.

Size -- I do not like 2". I think 1.5" just the right size.

Suggestions -- I sent you an email :mad: :mad: