How Low Can You Go !

:):lol: Words cannot explain how upset and mad I am feeling at this moment. Bruin 47 & Top Cat & Co placed 5 TB's in Bristol Airport Hotel in October for a race for the most miles within a year. As some of the South Wales cachers know Shaun (aka Choo Choo) has been very ill with Viral Meningitis and Epilepsy.

He was taken ill again over the weekend, on my return from the hospital I received an email asking if I had a tipo error that the TB was not "Mike the Hike" but "Mike the Pike". I replied and sent a picture of our TB only to have a returned email with a picture of a Fishing weight with our TB tag attached. Not the hiker that was pictured on the TB site. I can't believe someone would steal such a thing.

We decided on the race for something for all of us to look forward to, especially Shaun who has been feeling a bit low over the past few months.

I know that any good cacher would not do such a thing, but I cant begin to understand why someone would want to nick a staute of a hiker. I just want to say thank you to the cachers who contact me about this and to the person who toke the staute (I hope is not a true cacher) how low can you get!!!!!!!!!! :)

I picked up a bug yesterday which was just a tag, looking at the page it wasn't always that way. These things obviously happen, at least whoever it was replaced your item with something else!

Far from condoning such actions I do think you have to be quite willing to never see or hear from your TB again as soon as you put it into the wild, if you aren't then maybe you should hang onto it...

Check out the travelbug longevity guide in the travel bug forum for some good tips on what works well as a TB.

Bruin 47 & Top Cat & Co placed 5 TB's in Bristol Airport Hotel in October

I don't know if this might help but I'm sure that Mike the Hike was in place when I visited there on the 14th November. I am almost certain that that particular item caught my eye (being a keen walker myself) but having reviewed the TBs in the cache I ended up leaving all of them in place as I was not sure how much travelling I was going to be doing. I can also vouch for Johnny Cache, him being my brother and who got on a plane 40 minutes after he stopped by the cache.

Bit of a mystery - it seems a lot of trouble to go to. Could it be a bad practical joke?

I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow cacher reporting that a TB tag which is for a TB i have im my possesion at the moment was on another TB, I thought this person had lost there marbels lol <_< So i checked the TB to find the copy tag on it !!!

This makes me feel sick that people waste good money to add to the sport we all love and adore and cachers just take the TB tags off and make them their own in my eyes and I would think many others think that you are ............... YOU ARE SCUM!!!

I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow cacher reporting that a TB tag which is for a TB i have im my possesion at the moment was on another TB, I thought this person had lost there marbels lol  <_<  So i checked the TB to find the copy tag on it !!!

eh? I am confused. Run this by me again please. The TB owner would have had the original and copy tag, so no way this could get out unless they released it. Do you mean that it's a clone, ie not the original copy tag?

In general I do agree that it is unwise to put all your hopes and dreams into a TB, as horrible things can happen to them. Okay, the people who prat around with your bug may still be 'baddies' but I am afraid that's just the way it goes with Tbs sometimes.

Also if a tag comes off, somebody may in all good faith re-attach it to the object they think it should be attached to. I have found numerous TBs where the tag was not attached very securely. This may not be the case this time, but it can happen. One of my Tbs and it's tag becaome separated accidentally, rather than maliciously, because a newbie cacher picked it up and thought that the tag should travel, but didn't realise that it should be accompanied by it's attachment.

Edited by Alibags

...and remember Good Things can happen also.

My TB Spoon set off for Oz in July 2003 and reached the intended recipient in June 2005. ;):P:P

Though the record shows that other short, fat geocacher with specs and a beard has grabbed him :o<_< I can assure you that Spoon's arrival in Southern Australia has re-opened a very old freindship that had been dead some years (loss of addy!) :P;):P

Spoon is now travelling all over Australia helping dispense health care to Aboriginal Communities. He is curently in the Kimberleys, which I think are a remote area of NW Oz. :P:P:D