American Revolutionary War Graves

Currently, there is a category called, American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves. It falls under,

Directory Home > People > Memorials > American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves

I think that a new category needs to be made, American Revolutionary War Graves. The current ‘veteran graves’ category would then become a subcategory under the new meta category. Along with this, a new sub-category should be created called, American Revolutionary War Patriot Graves.

If this sounds confusing let me lay it out ...

American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves

• American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves

American Revolutionary War Patriot Graves

This is precipitated by the fact that the owner of the current ‘veteran graves’ category won't approve new waymarks unless the person was a soldier, so other patriots (i.e. Ben Franklin) who risked their lives and fortunes can't be logged.

Edited by evrik

This is precipitated by the fact that the owner of the current ‘veteran graves’ category won't approve new waymarks unless the person was a soldier, so other patriots (i.e. Ben Franklin) who risked their lives and fortunes can't be logged.

That would be because Ben Franklin was not a soldier. So he doesn't fit in the category. Would you put Betsy Ross in a soldier category? Nope. Its really simple. No matter how many time it gets submitted if its not a soldier its not going to be allowed. Seems pretty simple to me. No reason to make this a sub-category. Its right where it needs to be.

Edited by CO Admin

Personally I think you need to widen the idea to include more than graves. Include important battle sites, meeting locations, homes of patriots, other important locations like the Liberty Bell, etc. Limiting it to graves alone takes away a lot of great locations we could learn a lot from.

But hey, it's your idea....do what you want.

Bret

That would be because Ben Franklin was not a soldier. So he doesn't fit in the category. Would you put Betsy Ross in a soldier category? Nope. Its really simple. No matter how many time it gets submitted if its not a soldier its not going to be allowed. Seems pretty simple to me. No reason to make this a sub-category. Its right where it needs to be.

While Franklin did not pick up a gun, he was involved with military preparation. He helped build a fort, helped found the Pennsylvania militia and negotaiated military treaties- but it goes beyond Franklin.

The current category (as it is defined) is not broad enough. Betsy Ross is a good example. Soldier, no. Patriot, yes. There should be another category for patriots, and both patriots and soldiers should be placed together under memorials.

IMO it would be better to change:

To

American Revolutionary War Soldier Graves

to reduce confusion.

Patriot graves is kinda, well, wonky. I think many people are patriots so figuring out who would fit here would be difficult. Even American Revolutionary War Hero Graves would cause some difficulty.

That would be a good interim solution, but the Sons of the American Revolution, who have been marking tracking and conserving the graves class them as patriots.

There were a lot of people who served the cause as bankers, clothiers, diplomats etc. Calling them soldier graves doesn't solve the Ben Franklin problem.

IMO it would be better to change:

To

to reduce confusion.

Patriot graves is kinda, well, wonky. I think many people are patriots so figuring out who would fit here would be difficult. Even American Revolutionary War Hero Graves would cause some difficulty.

That works for me. Feel free to have Sean or whoever change it at the office.

Bret

Directory Home>People>Memorials>American Revolutionary War Graves

Still makes the best sense to me and then Catagories under that would be

• American Revolutionary War Soldier Graves

• American Revolutionary War Patriot Graves

By the way Patriots may sound wonky, but that is what the know world label has been uniformly applied to these historic people.

http://hometown.aol.com/elliottgen/page4/patriots.htm

http://users.aol.com/neddybarney/Patriots.html

http://raims.com/historian/burials.html

http://www.genealogy.com/133facd.html

http://www.whitneygen.org/archives/military/revgrave.html

I echo the statement that the Sons of the American Revolution, who have been marking tracking and conserving the graves class them as patriots.

To not have both of these under memorials to me would hinder in a seach process. I also strongly feel that the original proposal that evrik made is the best solution.

Our Countrys journey towards freedom would not have happened without both the Patriots and the Soldiers. I do not think the answer is making patriots a separate Category by itself. To me is not sufficent.

If you look here

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/default...23-86e31c4868d6

Under Historic Places you have Civil Rights Places, Irish American Memorials,Old World Originals,Photos then & now, Spring Houses Maybe if we post in the proposals that Patrioiots become a catagory it could be placed under memorials. like the abandoned Cemetary one that was recently placed under Historic Places, I think the confusion has been that we need to juust propose it as a Category and then when it is accepted the manager would then ask for it to be places under memorials and then the dialogue about the larger overall Category could be readjusted.

I believe there has been alot of confusion from the begining of this thread. First when CO Admin said "That would be because Ben Franklin was not a soldier. So he doesn't fit in the category. Would you put Betsy Ross in a soldier category? Nope. Its really simple. No matter how many time it gets submitted if its not a soldier its not going to be allowed. Seems pretty simple to me. No reason to make this a sub-category. Its right where it needs to be." to when Jeremy said "IMO it would be better to change:

To

to reduce confusion. The way I see it is that Evirk and I do not think there is just the word confusion. We need a new category for patriots and if and when it is placed should reside along side the other.

what I think now is that if we post this in the Proposal forum ander a differnt thread as a category when and if it is created it would be placed under Memorials when accepted and the category manager makes suggestions as to where to place it..

Edited by chstress53

So, is this the right thread to post in or is it the other one? :o

Just my thoughts here, but I think you guys are hamstringing this category if you limit it just to patriot graves. I think you need to broaden it to include locations that figure prominently in patriot history (or whatever wording you arrive at).

Include the "George Washington Slept Here" kind of places, battlegrounds, Independence Hall, and other places of historic significance.

Graves could be just one of the variables for listing in what could become a very useful category for historic locations.

Bret

Ben Franklin locations would also be an interesting category to post waymarks in under the broader term Historic; but this particular category ‘Revolutionary veteran graves’ as it is now falls is under Memorials as I believe it should be; but it should also have other categories like Revolutionary Patriot Graves, as it stands now this is all that is listed:

• American Revolutionary War Veteran Graves

• Pony Express Monuments

• Dead Poets' Society Memorials

• Vasco da Gama

• Medal Of Honor Resting Places

• Vietnam POW/MIA Monuments

• Out of Place Graves

Here is a link to the other category I posted regarding this debate

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120278

In my zeal I thought I was moving this forward as maybe we were not clear on our wording.

I also do not agree with cybet that we are hamstringing this categoary as the overarching category is MEMORIALS not Historic places, but I do agree that the other locations he speaks of would make interesting waymarks . And as I have read in other threads cross overs in categories is acceptable.

Edited by chstress53

I believe there has been alot of confusion from the begining of this thread. First when CO Admin said "That would be because Ben Franklin was not a soldier. So he doesn't fit in the category. Would you put Betsy Ross in a soldier category? Nope. Its really simple. No matter how many time it gets submitted if its not a soldier its not going to be allowed. Seems pretty simple to me. No reason to make this a sub-category. Its right where it needs to be." to when Jeremy said "IMO it would be better to change:

To

to reduce confusion. The way I see it is that Evirk and I do not think there is just the word confusion. We need a new category for patriots and if and when it is placed should reside along side the other.

what I think now is that if we post this in the Proposal forum ander a differnt thread as a category when and if it is created it would be placed under Memorials when accepted and the category manager makes suggestions as to where to place it..

If the change is made, and a category "American Revolutionary War Patriot Graves" is added, I'll volunteer to be the first moderator of the category.

Edited by evrik