Lets Take A Guess On The Features Of The X-series

GOT GPS?

Here is a good game, till the CES2006 show in Loss Wages, Nevada.

Lets guess what the feature set will be on the new Garmin X-series GPS units

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I will take the Map60Cx GPS

* At least a 13 meg Basemap

* Same screen as the 60C

* All the mapping will be on the TransFlash Card

* Will be able to save Track, and waypoint files to the MAIN memory, and not the card.

* Ability to access saved waypoint and track files

* Will be able to load mapsets to the card without wiping out the others on the card.

* Can collect data for a long time before needing to download to PC.

Lets see who can get the closest to the true data?

Edited by GOT GPS?

GOT GPS?, since you have the crystal ball I'll go with what you stated, and will add helix antenna (as already), and with the new SiRF chipset much faster acquistion of fixes. How about postional accuracy stated as >3 meters (w/WASS/SBAS, but in reality we'll see better, like >2 meters! Here's hoping! And I'll take the 60CX as well.

Here is my question: how well would a new 60 X or Legend X with Sirf work compared to an existing 60c using an external antenna? I use my 60c in heavy tree canopy in the Pacific Northwest while running trails. Maintaining satellite lock is very challenging, even with an antenna (Gilson). I would gladly buy a new X unit if it can be expected to outperform my 60c/Gilson combination.

Garmin fanboy here and it pains me to write this.....

It looks like the x series is a quick, shallow parry to Magellan's Explorist series.

Sure, some of them have a new chipset but I've yet to see anything saying they've improved the basic unit over what we've had for years. Same number of waypoints, same track logs, same lousy 2-axis compass and no mention of a file system. It's like they bolted a turbocharger onto a Ford Pinto. A knee-jerk reaction to bide time until they design a real - what? - 5th generation reciever.

Until I hear different, I'll sit on the sidelines both loving and cussing my 60CS.

B

I really don't want to be a wet blanket either (I would love to be able "justify", at least to myself) the new Cx or CSx, but now roll back to the top post. ALL those features are in my 3 year old Magellan Meridian Platinum (Gold same also), plus few more. Those are all SD card / memory management features I use every time I pick up the unit, 3 - 4 times per week. Yes, the 60CS has a nice color screen, and nice geocache features, better manufacturer support, better firware interface, but I can't live without the memory features of my Meridian.

Please do not turn this into a Garmin vs Magellan thread. That is not my intention. I would LOVE a Garmin 60CS with the memory features of a Meridian. If it's not coming, Garmin doesn't get my business until they do. I'll "Meridian along" for a while yet.

EDIT: Looks like no more guessing required - the specs are out today! See other thread. Looks pretty good...... I THINK "GOT GPS" got most of what he wanted. Me too, maybe... still reading.... need Operating Manual....

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama