San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

July 1 Penny Pines (GC1FDGA)

Dropped off a Zebra TB and then parked on the 12266 road to explore both sides of the Nobel Canyon trail. It occasionally sprinkled throughout the day but I was committed to a wild orchid hunt. Along the way I saw variety of critters.

2e246701-f461-40a2-9afe-7df831907faa.jpg

1e87104e-d2b5-4bd9-9650-9243a4d33f47.jpg

70594688-0095-40dc-ae1c-2950fd740708.jpg

For at least half a minute, I was working out which angle would give me the best flower shot when I stepped off trail to get in closer. Between me and the flower was a snake; black with a long yellow stripe indicative of a Racer. I only saw it when it made its super fast get-a-way!

cac824f3-076d-4870-b41f-bd9dba7912d9.jpg

Up the hill, I stopped just before I would’ve walked directly in front of this Rattlesnake. It was coiled and waiting for action on the side of the trail. I was studying and photographing the snake from one side only for about five minutes, and then got a couple of uninteresting shots at ground level. It started flickering its tongue, rose up quickly, hissed, rattled and moved down into the brush! It was larger than I thought, about 3.5’.

b92590a9-88f1-4c6a-932a-08284d78bf12.jpg

0e75e8a1-72e0-4aca-971c-b7297259ad33.jpg

68577d24-b678-4442-8265-2f8db615f874.jpg

July 1

0c67959a-19a0-4ce9-b38b-b6ec8e190162.jpg

52fa74bf-7c4b-44e4-a1b4-2fd948774d90.jpg

bab812e4-ee45-4661-a557-459c56ccc7a7.jpg

Still jumpy four minutes up the trail, I spotted what I thought was a grass pattern off to the side that didn’t quite fit in. I stepped back trying to figure out what it was and got clued in quickly after I noticed the button tail.

66d2259f-f773-41ce-997c-47819216fa61.jpg

e67c33ab-8217-40db-a472-6ba1edf730b6.jpg

eaea9157-7b00-483a-82fb-f7580448c714.jpg

517c99f3-5af1-4fbc-aa8b-d0ac76a4aacf.jpg

July 1

Still jumpy four minutes up the trail, I spotted what I thought was a grass pattern off to the side that didn’t quite fit in. I stepped back trying to figure out what it was and got clued in quickly after I noticed the button tail.

What fantastic critter experiences you are having. Well done on the photography.

Both snakes are Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes (Crotalus viridis), the most aggressive and venomous of our local rattlesnakes. It is also one of the most frequently encountered in Southern California in local areas such as Mission Trails Regional Park and the Lagunas.

-GD

July 8 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea)

Observed the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron with its adult breeding plumage hunting for its prey of choice across from Bird Sanctuary Bug Drop (GC18Y9P) today. Turns out that it’s a rare visitor to San Diego.

0e5dd45b-8482-4af6-96b6-0ccaceb47851.jpg

712e6254-fe3f-480e-ab8b-c2224d5b70fc.jpg

d5e582f4-3f33-443d-ab96-5f6d0272afc9.jpg

Also saw California Brown Pelicans (Pelecanus occidentalis californicus), domesticated Green-Cheeked Amazons (Amazona viridigenalis), and a fledgling Western Gull (Larus occidentalis); pics posted at same site. Correction: Common Terns (Sterna hirundo) in my prior pics not Least Terns. dtn92129 - ? a start - The Coleopterists Society and H. - Beautiful PhotoShop work.

Thanks!

We enjoy looking at this site and wanted to share a few pictures of our adventures in Tennessee while attending Woodstock 7. There is a short critter section so thought this would be a good means of sharing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnsZvx5g9vo

Very nice but let's cut to the chase ... who did the video production?

Details please.

Edited by SD Rowdies

We enjoy looking at this site and wanted to share a few pictures of our adventures in Tennessee while attending Woodstock 7. There is a short critter section so thought this would be a good means of sharing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnsZvx5g9vo

Very nice but let's cut to the chase ... who did the video production?

Details please.

Mrs.kwver did it using Proshow

Say, not bad for a girl.

Speaking of bears and Yosemite, here are a few shots from my bear encounters during three different days of skiing in the Valley back in February.  You can read a more complete account on my post to our virtual cache Yosemite Valley High Water - The 100 Year Flood.

-GD

Bear 9, a delightful two-year old

77653b1a-12c1-48d6-8e45-24902f7d2339.jpg

Bear 3565, five year old alpha male

cdc819f7-ecf1-4a15-9d7a-19913462bb72.jpg

Call of the wild

43bf02e0-8123-44fb-9585-b7aa14ca0908.jpg

Leaving no doubt this deer is his

082ee80a-2973-48b5-8be5-8189c187f2b1.jpg

No Tag - Bear 9's companion

f58b06c6-ef31-4e9b-87ce-19aaa8fff1c5.jpg

Unfettered enthusiam

9307448f-b051-4e6f-944d-fa46a7c630f2.jpg

Speaking of bears and Yosemite, here are a few shots from my bear encounters during three different days of skiing in the Valley back in February.  You can read a more complete account on my post to our virtual cache Yosemite Valley High Water - The 100 Year Flood.

-GD

Bear 9, a delightful two-year old

77653b1a-12c1-48d6-8e45-24902f7d2339.jpg

Bear 3565, five year old alpha male

cdc819f7-ecf1-4a15-9d7a-19913462bb72.jpg

Call of the wild

43bf02e0-8123-44fb-9585-b7aa14ca0908.jpg

Leaving no doubt this deer is his

082ee80a-2973-48b5-8be5-8189c187f2b1.jpg

No Tag - Bear 9's companion

f58b06c6-ef31-4e9b-87ce-19aaa8fff1c5.jpg

Unfettered enthusiam

9307448f-b051-4e6f-944d-fa46a7c630f2.jpg

Great pics.

July 14 Ancient Puli NOT a Dog Lil' Dragon's playtime (GC1BENN)

b1181f28-1fa7-48ee-9e5d-488dbefcb446.jpg

Took a walk along Southern Wildlife Preserve on the San Diego River as far west as Dog Beach. Dropped off a couple of TB’s and a new TNG 9 card at Jake - 101 Dalmatians (GC1H0N3). Saw a man at Robb Field walking a bizarre creature. I strolled over to get a pic. The entire chat was fascinating and although I remain skeptical, I got your critter story :(

“It’s not a dog, it’s an Ancient Puli; not a dog like a Hungarian Puli.” he insisted. Upon petting its head, I was surprised. It had a cranial ridge like a baboon. He said one Doctor thinks the Ancient Puli might be related to a baboon. When I asked about DNA testing, he said, “it shows a dead end and doesn’t match anything.” Its feet were smaller with much larger front pads than rear but it had dog-like toenails. He said to look up Tibetan Wolves to learn more about the Ancient Puli. In fact, tomorrow he was meeting with National Geographic to try and form an expedition to investigate the part of Tibet that has most of the 100 left in the world; his was the only one in America. This might not happen because the Tibetan tribes allow no one in and protect the Pulis. His Puli 10 years old and he mentioned he knew of 2 other females.

He then told a story of how in WWI the Germans would send massive packs of Police Dogs into the trenches to pin down soldiers who would then be bayoneted and shot by the following troops. The allies eventually brought in Ancient Pulis to join the troops to turn back the packs of German dogs. Ancient Pulis hiss, spin, throw Chi forward and charge like a Komodo Dragon, but are known as defenders and don’t attack. He asked me if I knew what Chi is and I said, “Yes, it’s like a force from the body” and he explained, “the Puli throws chi forward and it can be felt in the middle of your chest from the back.”

He said most dogs run when they see the Ancient Puli because they know it’s not a dog. Dogs that try to attack would get wads of fine dreadlock-like hair stuck in their throats and choke to death. He said Terriers aren’t afraid of his Puli, and he actually had to rescue one so it wouldn’t choke to death. In a test conducted with 5 Police Dogs, the dogs fled to the tops of cars. He said dogs have always been used in war, and Gengis Khan used the Ancient Puli to keep the flocks of sheep and goats with the advancing armies. When Hitler conquered a country, he would kill war dog breeders and their dogs.

I will say this critter was large, mellow and constantly rolling or spinning on the ground. Its locks had a couple of distinct “cores” running its length not in the manner of matted dreadlocks. I ceased research on the Internet but here are a few links:

Komondor

Puli

Tibetan Wolf

For Size Perspective

More 7/14 Pics

July 14 Osprey Nest Lil' Dragon's playtime (GC1BENN)

db12f77f-49f9-41d6-b365-cc567e20afc0.jpg

The Ancient Puli owner told me the Osprey clutch was 2 months from the first hatch to the last and the last chick is still hanging at the nest. Although it can fly, it refuses to fish to feed itself, depending on its parents for food. He thinks it might die.

For More

Took a walk along Southern Wildlife Preserve on the San Diego River as far west as Dog Beach. Dropped off a couple of TB's and a new TNG 9 card at Jake - 101 Dalmatians (GC1H0N3). Saw a man at Robb Field walking a bizarre creature. I strolled over to get a pic. The entire chat was fascinating and although I remain skeptical, I got your critter story :(

"It's not a dog, it's an Ancient Puli; not a dog like a Hungarian Puli." he insisted. Upon petting its head, I was surprised. It had a cranial ridge like a baboon. He said one Doctor thinks the Ancient Puli might be related to a baboon. When I asked about DNA testing, he said, "it shows a dead end and doesn't match anything." Its feet were smaller with much larger front pads than rear but it had dog-like toenails. He said to look up Tibetan Wolves to learn more about the Ancient Puli. In fact, tomorrow he was meeting with National Geographic to try and form an expedition to investigate the part of Tibet that has most of the 100 left in the world; his was the only one in America. This might not happen because the Tibetan tribes allow no one in and protect the Pulis. His Puli 10 years old and he mentioned he knew of 2 other females.

He then told a story of how in WWI the Germans would send massive packs of Police Dogs into the trenches to pin down soldiers who would then be bayoneted and shot by the following troops. The allies eventually brought in Ancient Pulis to join the troops to turn back the packs of German dogs. Ancient Pulis hiss, spin, throw Chi forward and charge like a Komodo Dragon, but are known as defenders and don't attack. He asked me if I knew what Chi is and I said, "Yes, it's like a force from the body" and he explained, "the Puli throws chi forward and it can be felt in the middle of your chest from the back."

He said most dogs run when they see the Ancient Puli because they know it's not a dog. Dogs that try to attack would get wads of fine dreadlock-like hair stuck in their throats and choke to death. He said Terriers aren't afraid of his Puli, and he actually had to rescue one so it wouldn't choke to death. In a test conducted with 5 Police Dogs, the dogs fled to the tops of cars. He said dogs have always been used in war, and Gengis Khan used the Ancient Puli to keep the flocks of sheep and goats with the advancing armies. When Hitler conquered a country, he would kill war dog breeders and their dogs.

I will say this critter was large, mellow and constantly rolling or spinning on the ground. Its locks had a couple of distinct "cores" running its length not in the manner of matted dreadlocks. I ceased research on the Internet but here are a few links:

Komondor

Puli

Tibetan Wolf

For Size Perspective

More 7/14 Pics

The Ancient Puli owner told me the Osprey clutch was 2 months from the first hatch to the last and the last chick is still hanging at the nest. Although it can fly, it refuses to fish to feed itself, depending on its parents for food. He thinks it might die.

For More

Great pics, T!

I think you're right to be skeptical. If that thing is related to a baboon, then I'm a monkey's uncle. I share more DNA with a baboon than that shaggy professor! Sounds like the guy you talked to likes to weave tall tales. Keep the pics coming!

D!

Took a walk along Southern Wildlife Preserve on the San Diego River as far west as Dog Beach. Dropped off a couple of TB's and a new TNG 9 card at Jake - 101 Dalmatians (GC1H0N3). Saw a man at Robb Field walking a bizarre creature. I strolled over to get a pic. The entire chat was fascinating and although I remain skeptical, I got your critter story :(

"It's not a dog, it's an Ancient Puli; not a dog like a Hungarian Puli." he insisted. Upon petting its head, I was surprised. It had a cranial ridge like a baboon. He said one Doctor thinks the Ancient Puli might be related to a baboon. When I asked about DNA testing, he said, "it shows a dead end and doesn't match anything." Its feet were smaller with much larger front pads than rear but it had dog-like toenails. He said to look up Tibetan Wolves to learn more about the Ancient Puli. In fact, tomorrow he was meeting with National Geographic to try and form an expedition to investigate the part of Tibet that has most of the 100 left in the world; his was the only one in America. This might not happen because the Tibetan tribes allow no one in and protect the Pulis. His Puli 10 years old and he mentioned he knew of 2 other females.

He then told a story of how in WWI the Germans would send massive packs of Police Dogs into the trenches to pin down soldiers who would then be bayoneted and shot by the following troops. The allies eventually brought in Ancient Pulis to join the troops to turn back the packs of German dogs. Ancient Pulis hiss, spin, throw Chi forward and charge like a Komodo Dragon, but are known as defenders and don't attack. He asked me if I knew what Chi is and I said, "Yes, it's like a force from the body" and he explained, "the Puli throws chi forward and it can be felt in the middle of your chest from the back."

He said most dogs run when they see the Ancient Puli because they know it's not a dog. Dogs that try to attack would get wads of fine dreadlock-like hair stuck in their throats and choke to death. He said Terriers aren't afraid of his Puli, and he actually had to rescue one so it wouldn't choke to death. In a test conducted with 5 Police Dogs, the dogs fled to the tops of cars. He said dogs have always been used in war, and Gengis Khan used the Ancient Puli to keep the flocks of sheep and goats with the advancing armies. When Hitler conquered a country, he would kill war dog breeders and their dogs.

I will say this critter was large, mellow and constantly rolling or spinning on the ground. Its locks had a couple of distinct "cores" running its length not in the manner of matted dreadlocks. I ceased research on the Internet but here are a few links:

Komondor

Puli

Tibetan Wolf

For Size Perspective

More 7/14 Pics

For More

Great pics, T!

I think you're right to be skeptical. If that thing is related to a baboon, then I'm a monkey's uncle. I share more DNA with a baboon than that shaggy professor! Sounds like the guy you talked to likes to weave tall tales. Keep the pics coming!

D!

AKC Puli History

July 12 Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) and Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

31c4491f-a0a2-4c19-8bfd-fabfe9eec9bb.jpg

Outstanding photographs, T!

Ospreys have long been one of my favorite birds, especially when they are diving. There used to be a pair on the SW light standard above the football field at Scripps Ranch High School. Every August during marching band camp, which both Groovy and Gecko Gurl attended, a feature was watching them grow as the parents fed them with fare from nearby Lake Miramar. Later on, I enjoyed observing their first tentative hop flights facing into the wind at the edge of the nest. One year, during the band's annual tournament, I found a sizeable largemouth base at the base of the light. After that, I always wondered how large a fish an osprey can carry.

Every season there were usually a two or three juveniles, making for a very crowded nest right before the youngster launched out on their own.

A few years ago I planned to hide a new GC with an osprey theme nearby but, alas, someone decided to destroy the nest, presumably as an "improvement". I'm not sure where the couple relocated after this disruption.

For those interested in the natural history of ospreys, you might enjoy "Return of the Osprey, A Season of Flight and Wonder", David Gessner, Algonquin Press, 2001.

-GD

July 17 Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularia) Tree of Life (GC17BZ1)

This pretty bird flew in to land, and as my Field Guide to the Birds of North America noted, would “nod and teeter constantly” on the rocks until I got closer, when it sat still to blend in, flying off when I turned to leave.

6/1/2009

Seeing your photos inspires me to get back out to the shore soon. I have been doing mountains and deserts lately and have been missing the local scene. What a marvelous place San Diego County is for the variety of resident and migratory birds.

I also recently encountered some Spotted Sandpipers in their breading plumage, in this case up along the shore of Manzanita Lake in Lassen Volcanic NP. Quite a different setting from our beach area. These were quite vocal and almost the only soundmakers around. If you look closely, the tip of its tail feathers is moving, the "teeter" part I guess.

Thought I would also share a couple of Osprey flyovers taken at the same time. Still working to improve my birds-in-flight photo skills.

-GD

Spotted Sandpiper

5407a08d-c70c-4d17-af1b-007b64b99ac7.jpg

Osprey flyby

23a85aa2-1c00-4453-a71d-902f3951f6aa.jpg

Osprey overhead

e440ed71-2c23-442d-afd9-b3ab6a535d93.jpg

Saturday, 7/18/2009

I had a bit of time today and thought I would check in on Travelita's Osprey family near Lil' Dagron's playtime. Alas, the nest was empty and looking a bit abandoned. Have the fledglings launched off on their own?

After circling the nest amid the frenetic activities of a gazillion soccer kids, I walked over to the canal to see what might be happening among the shorebird set. As always, there was some nice viewing, including a Little Blue Heron, a pair of Great Egrets, a California Least Tern hovering and diving in the low tide shallows, and a Snowy Egret putting on an awesome fishing show, and

The Least Tern is still listed as an Endangered Species. Fortunately, it has recovered significantly from the early 70s when I first learned about them in a marine biology class taught a local Least Tern enthusiast and conservator who featured these diminutive natives in his lectures and field trips. I got so caught up in its dives I never did get over the cache - guess I have a good excuse to return.

-GD

Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)

1310fd1b-91ce-4c6a-ac6d-b44317adaa37.jpg

LBH on final approach

9d6bf66d-70ab-4360-b4ba-c4148f7fedb9.jpg

California Least Tern (Sterna antillarum)

82ef8ca8-6f70-49de-a34a-128658e9f77c.jpg

Verticality

2a991bc4-de66-4271-b0ce-b2f9700109cb.jpg

Approaching impact

e95a598a-2467-4f10-b435-7dc980bf4730.jpg

Emerging from a dive

1dd832bc-ced5-4df5-9740-b93331bc442e.jpg

Ballerina (Snowy Egret) and Marbled Godwits

c85ed7d0-50d4-4b00-bc12-ccc944a509f4.jpg

In attack mode

5b99208d-86ca-4bc5-b73d-e4d280027454.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko

For ten points:

SwEet!!

July 18

Originally didn’t think this shot was interesting. On second look, it was the fattest Rattlesnake I’d ever seen in proportion to its own size and had dug in for some serious hunting. Wondering if it was pregnant and if its pose would trick another lizard scampering up the trail? Ref Post #1152

Waiting:

e5ae4516-1498-454a-b4b6-76a81136c57d.jpg

Another Lizard?

498bee2e-15b9-432d-a357-cca4824193f0.jpg

Pregnant? Twins = 10 points

ade367d9-a913-474e-aef5-06e78bf999fd.jpg

GD – My reading list is growing, thanks! A quick Osprey read. Who knew? Spotted Sandpiper

SD-Weiss - :D Immersed in professional photography in some manner throughout my lifetime. Also had access to complete darkroom in garage while growing up. Hope you haven’t missed past Cache Critters postings.

Snowy_Egret (Egretta thula)

d4d1e838-010e-4319-bd81-674f8e810eec.jpg

It’s a rare day that I find a Snowy Egret perched. During courtship their lores (space from bill to eyes) turn red, their feet orange, and they have long plumes on the head, neck, and back.

Anna’s Hummingbird (Calypte anna) either a Juvenile or Female, named after Anna Massena, Dutchess of Rivoli

3f21dfd8-43bd-435c-9d93-0213fcce121a.jpg

Click to see the Second Act

I started out with a plan to locate the missing container at Runnin’ With The Pack – Capeheart (GC1NYGW) but my bike ride was interrupted when I spied a Green Heron through a fence. The light was wrong for my first set so I moved in closer and got a few pics before it lured me westward toward my secret birding spot across Rose Creek. After an extended photo session I pedaled north almost missing the Great Blue Heron standing below the Juvenile Snowy Egret. In this immediate area, it looks like the Friends of Rose Creek are busy with their native plant restoration project.

Green Heron (Butorides virescens):

56eb3df5-c2a8-4ab0-ba8b-7bc494733042.jpg

25d5543a-6159-48cc-9a2b-89abb4a21298.jpg

*Sometimes they drop food, insects, or other small objects on the water's surface to attract fish, making them one of the few known tool-using species.

fc21818f-7ee2-49c7-ae63-667b047dbb36.jpg

55356cfb-c05a-4210-af24-7a5141131307.jpg

*Adults have a glossy, greenish-black cap, a greenish back and wings that are grey-black grading into green or blue and greenish-yellow legs. *Notes

Click for pic of Great Blue Heron and Immature Snowy Egret

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans)

f1b21f59-aed2-4901-b142-b706d721cefd.jpg

Another pic of Black Phoebe

July 21 Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)

Started a bike ride over to Runnin’ With The Pack – Capeheart (GC1NYGW) when I saw a sleeping Cormorant near Rock Trinity (GCBB32) that awoke and began to struggle. I made a doomed try with the broken glass, wet rocks and cleats, but I got within 4' of it when it flapped into the water where I left it.

f3f991b0-5d4a-452c-82e5-63c08f846730.jpg

7a355309-4a07-44e8-850c-31ff9fb8407f.jpg

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) on Shaka Island (GC12BJH)

Swam over from the west, noticed a nesting site with a critter and two eggs and swam back for my camera. The Lifeguard was perched above my bike as I waded over from the east for a few pics and left without a serious look for the cache.

3b478609-3874-4b36-bae2-03e7972cb86c.jpg

9df258f2-7512-4999-802c-46dd5082933e.jpg

July 22 Rescue! Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)

Click to see the Third Act

Click to see the Fourth Act

travelita's new birding camo.

918c3c21-e1ae-475b-94f0-28a3ef2c368f.jpg

One of three Osprey in area today.

2570b8f1-b950-46cc-ba1d-1643ac6dd11c.jpg

Teamed up with rjosprey for a possible critter rescue near Rock Trinity (GCBB32). Relieved to find a Cormorant relaxing on the same rock, but it was facing in the opposite direction and a fishing line wasn’t visible. I believed it was the same one, but since I couldn’t prove it, rjosprey preferred not to stress it out. Down the trail, I reviewed my pics and when I zoomed in on one, I finally got proof positive. We headed back for some action.

41fb3d9a-82a7-4cc8-99ec-105b42ad44b2.jpg

df50cd4f-109a-4f1c-829a-5a78b66d6eeb.jpg

a67ac33c-a143-43c6-abfa-cd5733f23342.jpg

The end result was that rjosprey was able to cut 3’ of fishing line from the Cormorant’s throat that was badly wrapped around one of its wings, one of its legs and one foot. It was difficult trying to pry and hold apart the Cormorant’s beak to check for a line or hook left in its mouth or throat. That gorgeous blue tongue, mouth and throat!! We were both surprised by its beak strength that eventually made contact with rjsprey’s finger drawing blood. Released from the net and fishing line, the Cormorant had its mobility back and was gone in seconds! Used the camera’s video option today, but since I’m breaking out in laughter during the rescue, I didn't think it was appropriate for a public forum.

a67ac33c-a143-43c6-abfa-cd5733f23342.jpg

We were both surprised by its beak strength that eventually made contact with rjsprey’s finger drawing blood.

No good deed goes unpunished.

--- Clare Booth Luce

And ...

Travelita%20Runway%20Cammo.jpg

At last, a fashion shot of Travelita. Well done you two, as devoted twitchers Sandy and I salute your efforts and

your photography

Edited by SD Rowdies

For ten points:

SwEet!!

July 18

Originally didn’t think this shot was interesting. On second look, it was the fattest Rattlesnake I’d ever seen in proportion to its own size and had dug in for some serious hunting. Wondering if it was pregnant and if its pose would trick another lizard scampering up the trail? Ref Post #1152

Waiting:

e5ae4516-1498-454a-b4b6-76a81136c57d.jpg

Another Lizard?

498bee2e-15b9-432d-a357-cca4824193f0.jpg

Pregnant? Twins = 10 points

ade367d9-a913-474e-aef5-06e78bf999fd.jpg

GD – My reading list is growing, thanks! A quick Osprey read. Who knew? Spotted Sandpiper

SD-Weiss - :D Immersed in professional photography in some manner throughout my lifetime. Also had access to complete darkroom in garage while growing up. Hope you haven’t missed past Cache Critters postings.

Snowy_Egret (Egretta thula)

d4d1e838-010e-4319-bd81-674f8e810eec.jpg

It’s a rare day that I find a Snowy Egret perched. During courtship their lores (space from bill to eyes) turn red, their feet orange, and they have long plumes on the head, neck, and back.

Anna’s Hummingbird (Calypte anna) either a Juvenile or Female, named after Anna Massena, Dutchess of Rivoli

3f21dfd8-43bd-435c-9d93-0213fcce121a.jpg

Click to see the Second Act

I started out with a plan to locate the missing container at Runnin’ With The Pack – Capeheart (GC1NYGW) but my bike ride was interrupted when I spied a Green Heron through a fence. The light was wrong for my first set so I moved in closer and got a few pics before it lured me westward toward my secret birding spot across Rose Creek. After an extended photo session I pedaled north almost missing the Great Blue Heron standing below the Juvenile Snowy Egret. In this immediate area, it looks like the Friends of Rose Creek are busy with their native plant restoration project.

Green Heron (Butorides virescens):

56eb3df5-c2a8-4ab0-ba8b-7bc494733042.jpg

25d5543a-6159-48cc-9a2b-89abb4a21298.jpg

*Sometimes they drop food, insects, or other small objects on the water's surface to attract fish, making them one of the few known tool-using species.

fc21818f-7ee2-49c7-ae63-667b047dbb36.jpg

55356cfb-c05a-4210-af24-7a5141131307.jpg

*Adults have a glossy, greenish-black cap, a greenish back and wings that are grey-black grading into green or blue and greenish-yellow legs. *Notes

Click for pic of Great Blue Heron and Immature Snowy Egret

Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans)

f1b21f59-aed2-4901-b142-b706d721cefd.jpg

GREAT PHOTO'S AGAIN!!!