San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

Cache Critters of Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve #2

Critters seen while hunting the NCIS cache series

Velvet Ant

Also known as a "Squeak Bug" because they emit a squeak when threatened. These "ants" are actually a type of wingless female wasp. Their sting can be quite painful (My sister, Totavi, helpfully points out that I have some first hand experience with this...)

8cd548a2-8ae8-46e0-88b0-c9527e93c580.jpg

While walking toward Trecherous Turtle (GC1MWVD) in Florida Canyon, we saw a hawk fly over and up into a eucalyptus tree. We could see that the hawk was carrying some sort of prey but we could not tell what the prey was. Looking up at the tree, we could see the hawk but it was too far away to get a good look at it. But with the help of a telephoto lens, we were able to get a better look at it...

Red-tailed Hawk in Eucalyptus Tree

4937ef77-7ae2-4da3-8bb9-b2a67da4baa7.jpg

A change of angle and a tighter shot reveals that the prey is a squirrel.

Red-tailed Hawk with Squirrel

5913386f-1bf0-4042-8df0-6aa75ba3fb78.jpg

After a bit we noticed that the hawk seemed to have attracted the attention of some smaller birds. Several of the shots of the hawk also include these other birds zooming through. Tentatively, I am identifying these birds as kingbirds since they are known to be aggressive to hawks (especially if the hawk is near their nests). If anyone can confirm or refute this identification, please let me know.

Red-tailed Hawk being buzzed by a male kingbird

(directly above the hawk)

5375c580-398b-43f0-953a-ce66c92150ee.jpg

Red-tailed Hawk being buzzed by a female kingbird

84f445af-4951-43c5-ab6f-c045b56d456f.jpg

For the most part, the hawk seemed to ignore the kingbirds but occasionally one would get close enough to ruffle some feathers but still the hawk was largely unperturbed.

Female kingbird gets the hawk's attention

4946d046-44b7-4abf-99ba-991363457b9c.jpg

We'd better keep Harmon away from these birds ... he was raised by wolves ya know! :D

Owooooo!

Must...maintain...control...off topic...can't resist...<gasp>

04c6042a-280c-4b4f-aa73-9adad0d4e612.jpg

OMG! I've been had big-time ... once

again by that rascal M2.

The odd part is that I considered using the paper-bag hat in my response to Barrie's

post 'cause that gal can sure bake a PUD cake! Last chance I saw you, M2, that PUD

cake was being served up on Otay Mountain. I should have pushed you off of that

mountain when I had a chance.

O.k., I admit it, I've met my match Photoshop-wise. Well done.

"Raised by wolves" huh? Why I oughta ....

It's nice t' be noticed,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies

We'd better keep Harmon away from these birds ... he was raised by wolves ya know! :P

Owooooo!

Must...maintain...control...off topic...can't resist...<gasp>

OMG! I've been had big-time ... once

again by that rascal M2.

The odd part is that I considered using the paper-bag hat in my response to Barrie's

post 'cause that gal can sure bake a PUD cake! Last chance I saw you, M2, that PUD

cake was being served up on Otay Mountain. I should have pushed you off of that

mountain when I had a chance.

O.k., I admit it, I've met my match Photoshop-wise. Well done.

"Raised by wolves" huh? Why I oughta ....

It's nice t' be noticed,

Harmon

SD Rowdies

I am not worthy! My inspiration comes from the master :P You'll note that I omitted the famous Harmon Nasal Finger Effect in order not to spoil anyone's appetite for that classic Otay Mountain PUD cake.

I made a small change to the original image that I overlooked last night. Here is the revised image in case, you know, you wanted to frame it or something.

97b46756-7dac-4489-ac67-eefbb5932dda.jpg

I was thinking to myself, "Would it be a bad thing upload a picture of a thistle to the Cache Critter's page? They are kind of mean in a crittery sort of way..." The problem resolved itself when I realized I could submit a photograph of a bee instead...

Bee near "Hafnium - HIKEnCACHE - PQ Style"

73c5cb5d-fb1d-47db-8461-92e435d81eb7.jpg

So James, I've been thinking about how many critter shots you have

been able to post on this Forum thread. Mind if I ask whether or not

you need to clean anything odiferous off of your hiking boots?

So James, I've been thinking about how many critter shots you have been able to post on this Forum thread. Mind if I ask whether or not

Not that I know of but you are not the first to accuse me of having stinky feet...

By the way, I forgot to mention, with respect to the previous photograph, that

"...beeth are our friendth but thithtleth thuck!"

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
So James, I've been thinking about how many critter shots you have been able to post on this Forum thread. Mind if I ask whether or not

Not that I know of but you are not the first to accuse me of having stinky feet...

By the way, I forgot to mention, with respect to the previous photograph, that

"...beeth are our friendth but thithtleth thuck!"

Thithtleth in your thkivvy-thhortth ith worth than thtickerth in your thockth, yeth?

mosaic67.jpg

(right to left on down) 10x optical, current pics

Little Blue, Why? (GCZD4F)

Dolphin Pod & Surfer, * Pacific Beach * - Webcam cache (GCHX3M)

Great Blue Heron (GBH), Rock Trinity (GCBB32)

GBH, Rock Trinity (GCBB32)

Koi, Why? (GCZD4F)

GBH, Lesser Known Landmark #5 Rose Creek (GC1MB9R)

GBH, Lesser Known Landmark #5 Rose Creek (GC1MB9R)

Great Egret, Bird Sanctuary Bug Drop (GC18Y9P)

Koi, Why? (GCZD4F)

Killdeer, MBP Black Box (GCHM46)

GBH & Snowy Egret, Lesser Known Landmark #5 Rose Creek (GC1MB9R)

GBH & Snowy Egret, MBP Black Box (GCHM46)

Osprey, Polymer Science II (GC1QDT8)

Least Tern & Egrets, "FATTBOYS LATEST LAME CACHE" (GCK4NB)

Squirrel, BAMB: Palm Pilot

Snowy Egret (Egretta Thula) stirs the water with its golden slippers-its black legs are tipped with bright yellow toes that glow in the shallow pools and marshes to lure small prey into striking range.

Little Blue Herons (LBH) (Egretta caerulea) stay white in coloration for a year and catch more fish in the company of Snowy Egrets than when alone. The white LBH is also more readily able to integrate into mixed-species flocks of white herons, thus gaining a measure of protection against predators. LBH has a slate-gray body, purple-blue head and neck. It is a quiet bird but has a loud, rusty squawk. It is patient, and uses it’s long legs to slowly wade through water, or stand and wait for prey.

A collective group of herons (Ardeidae family) include the nouns - battery, hedge, pose, rookery and scattering.

ospreymast.jpg

Osprey, Polymer Science II (GC1QDT8)

Edited by travelita

Walked a total 5 miles 6/13/09 from Blue Sky Ecological Reserve to Lake Poway where I logged into Two-Tone - 101 Dalmatians by Cruella de Vil (GC1H188) and turned back. Had great fun playing with manual settings/histogram on camera and these are my results. Was fortunate to see two beautiful snakes and lucky enough to not get bitten. I was 6” away from stepping on the first snake while trying to snap pic of a Scrub Jay, and only a foot away from the second snake while I was positioning myself for a better shot of the first snake! Had a friend spotting me the whole time too. Awesome camouflage. Surprisingly, both snakes ended up hiding in rock cover just inches from each other. Walking back, I figured they might be within 20’ of their last position and sure enough, I spotted the darker one in the same spot. Didn’t push my luck looking for the other.

pinktail.jpg

pinkmtaill.jpg

Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus)

darkmound.jpg

skeye.jpg

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis helleri)

indigrl.jpg

lizgold.jpg

ghopper.jpg

woody2shoes.jpg

Walked a total 5 miles 6/13/09 from Blue Sky Ecological Reserve to Lake Poway where I logged into Two-Tone - 101 Dalmatians by Cruella de Vil (GC1H188) and turned back. Had great fun playing with manual settings/histogram on camera and these are my results. Was fortunate to see two beautiful snakes and lucky enough to not get bitten. I was 6” away from stepping on the first snake while trying to snap pic of a Scrub Jay, and only a foot away from the second snake while I was positioning myself for a better shot of the first snake! Had a friend spotting me the whole time too. Awesome camouflage. Surprisingly, both snakes ended up hiding in rock cover just inches from each other. Walking back, I figured they might be within 20’ of their last position and sure enough, I spotted the darker one in the same spot. Didn’t push my luck looking for the other.

pinktail.jpg

pinkmtaill.jpg

Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus)

darkmound.jpg

skeye.jpg

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus viridis helleri)

indigrl.jpg

lizgold.jpg

ghopper.jpg

woody2shoes.jpg

How come you have all the crittter fun?

95d57612-3b8a-47d9-b59c-1a8c5649a704.jpg

Couldn't resist this one.

Two from 6/13/09:

headtail.jpg

goose.jpg

A majestic Red-tailed Hawk buzzed past me twice the other day when I was walking near Radio Flyers II (GCAE37) and I came back today with a camera and recharged batteries. Did see a hawk in the area and got a pic of raptor with catch but I’ll need more practice. Thinking I might get “flight practice” near the perimeter fence of Sea World I walked over toward Do Not Enter (GCXJHN). After half an hour the GBH wouldn’t budge, so I finally left.

heroneuc.jpg

The following pics were taken next to GC BAMB: Palm Pilot:

purplex.jpg

3fluff.jpg

feedmeh.jpg

One of a several MS Photo Editor tests on today’s fieldwork and at this point I’ll continue leaving my shots as is or “natural”:

watertest.jpg

Couldn’t resist.

eyesj.jpg

wingsq.jpg

I’ve never seen these snakes before. Would someone please ID the darker 5’ Rattlesnake? Thanks in advance.

drkcoil.jpg

One buzz as it moved away.

drktaill.jpg

Its location on walk back.

drkwound.jpg

As I noticed on my second trip, the piece of pipeline isn’t in the Reserve but on the Lake Poway side.

lppipe.jpg

After almost stepping on the Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake below, I couldn’t adjust/focus the camera fast enough with rattled nerves and shaky hands. It was about 4’ long and moved away quickly.

pnkblr.jpg

Can you see me now?

pnkrk.jpg

Dark-crested Cormorant at Lake Poway

dccorm.jpg

Edited by travelita

artibee.jpg

Nice one! The beeth jutht weren't ath cooperative on my attempt at thuch a thot (posted higher up on this thread...)

I’ve never seen these snakes before. Would someone please ID the darker 5’ Rattlesnake? Thanks in advance.

drkcoil.jpg

From the D-Day stripes on the tail, it'd either be a Western Diamondback (crotalus apox) or a brown version of our old friend Crotalus Ruber (a.k.a. Red Diamond Rattlesnake) Narrowing it down further, if you were east of El Centro, then it's a Western Diamondback. If you were in San Diego county though, then it's a Red Diamond (some of which are more brown than red...)

Would someone please ID the darker 5’ Rattlesnake? Thanks in advance.

drkcoil.jpg

From the D-Day stripes on the tail, it'd either be a Western Diamondback (crotalus apox) or a brown version of our old friend Crotalus Ruber (a.k.a. Red Diamond Rattlesnake) Narrowing it down further, if you were east of El Centro, then it's a Western Diamondback. If you were in San Diego county though, then it's a Red Diamond (some of which are more brown than red...)

I'll go with James on Crotalus ruber, Red Diamond Rattlesnake.

Can only see a couple of pairs of the black/white stripes on the tail

in that photo but the wide, flat head is hard to mistake. Pretty odd

coloration for a local Ruby but it is written that they adapt color-

ation to habitiat niche.

Another clue to a Ruby is that they aren't as aggressive as Western

Diamonds when free to retreat from an encounter. Of course that's

useful information only if you have experienced both types in retreat

so's you can make an informed comparison. Give them a try, you'll

be wiser for the comparative experience.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/c.ruber.html

Do remember, thnaketh and beeth are our friendth.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Wednesday, 17 June

This has to be the most perfectly color camouflaged spider I have seen. It was spotted on a Bush Poppy along the Dripping Springs Trail to Agua Tibia Mountain in the Agua Tibia Wilderness east of Temecula. Because of Federal Wilderness protection, there are no GCs allowed in the ATW but I thought subscribers to the Critter forum might enjoy seeing this brilliant yellow paint job, too.

For those interested in a good workout, the trail is 14 miles round trip and 3000 feet of gain/loss. I did not see anyone else on the trail here mid-week and not another boot print past about the 4 mile point. Similar to Palomar Mountain but without the crowds, this area features some rare or unique flora. I also came upon several wildflower species I don't recall seeing before.

Bring back virtuals!

-GD

Camo spider

1f4fd2e5-a27d-4e6b-8f2d-b054ea115d52.jpg

Bluecurls

348223ff-6d87-4155-ab6a-1215a9925314.jpg

Southern Indian Pink

c7e229a6-c9be-477b-a984-6aaa6e62a95a.jpg

Another "coastie"

56e74d7c-64b4-454b-b401-0b4c3e6756a0.jpg

Here are a few additional spider shots.

One curious aspect of this encounter was how the spider kept circling around to the opposite side of the flower stamen/pistil core from where I was watching. Eventually it climbed over the edge of a petal and went into a hiding position underneath the flower. So postioned, it kept its rump pressed as close to the flower base as it could get. If it had started there, I would never have seen it.

-GD

Hugging the core

a41ce732-f134-4a9d-98de-2161cb1ef093.jpg

Up close - check out the eyes

d8c7676c-e0ab-420f-a318-4b6fc4688a9b.jpg

A new hiding spot

48bcc3cf-4312-4d63-9cee-2ce7afbae3c9.jpg

Update:

A staff member at Blue Sky Ecological Reserve office wrote that these two thnakeths are the same species of snake - Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchellii pyrrhus) and “To see one is incredible, to see two is unbelievable!! How lucky you are.”

drksnake.jpg

pinkyw.jpg

I'd seen this page earlier but still had doubts.

Crotalus mitchellii pyrrhus

Some people get all the breaks, two Speckled for gosh sakes.

Maybe you happened upon an area that has a breeding den.

Nice to sharpen our identification skills.

Update:

A staff member at Blue Sky Ecological Reserve office wrote that these two thnakeths are the same species of snake - Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchellii pyrrhus) and “To see one is incredible, to see two is unbelievable!! How lucky you are.”

I'd seen this page earlier but still had doubts.

Crotalus mitchellii pyrrhus

Travelita-

Bravo on the outstanding recent photo posts and for sharing your Speckled x 2 encounter.

I have always encountered these farther from the coast so this is a real novelty indeed. An excellent reference I recommend for anyone interested in the local herps is "Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles of the San Diego Region" by Jeffrey M. Lemm, published by the University of California Press in their California Natural History Guides series. I also recommend their "Raptors of California" by Hans Peeters and Pam Peters. I believe they are available locally at the San Diego Museum of Natural History or online from Amazon.

One note about Speckleds is their ambush style of hunting. I've seen them laying in the trail out in Borrego Palm Canyon not showing the slightest motion or making any sound and looking as much like decomposed granite as one could imagine. There also used to be one hanging around a GC off the lower end of the bypass in Coyote Canyon.

Back in May I walked right by one while climbing Pinto Mountain in Joshua Tree. This on a steep ridgeline stretch, quite rocky, and I was about to enter some Class 2 climbing - the last place I would expect to see a snake. The wind was blowing 40+ knots so losing footing or my hat were real possibilities, and I ended up totally missing it. My hiking companion had paused for a quick rest and got benefit of a major hubbub with rattling, posturing, etc. He shouted at me to come back to see the show but the wind was howling and I had a head of steam and never heard the calls or the snake. Drat.

Here's are a few photos from that day.

-GD

Speckled guarding turf on Pinto Mountain

692c5524-36e5-4044-aef4-6f3b93b3252a.jpg

Unexpected snake country

765feadb-4201-47e5-947f-9f7f2330512f.jpg

Also seen on this hike ...

Marbled Whiptail (a remarkably fast lizard when it wants to move out)

27dd7b84-ec45-4551-8ad3-564fa8dbf93d.jpg

5db13a1f-768b-41b5-819f-5eac68b90c2f.jpg

Desert Tortoise (designated a threatened species in the wild)

9fbcc50d-009b-4f05-96f0-bd3e3fcd4607.jpg

e797c741-a8d9-4d69-a462-c46746750f10.jpg

Side tracked photographing critters in the Blue Sky Ecological Preserve today and didn’t make my GC goal Dawg Team! Rest Stop (GC1QWP7)

Four days have passed and the baby birds look dramatically different. Not a peep or movement from them, other than their eyes opening and closing. The nest is worn down on one side where mama bird perches to feed her young.

edges.jpg

5nest.jpg

fullsun.jpg

Full sun coloration.

eggsw.jpg

One egg shell has a small chip and that might mean new hatchlings soon.

Monday, 25 June

I have long been interested in photographing birds in flight. The challenge involves distance, lighting conditions, motion, and composition. Being at the right place at the right time with everything working is a rare event. This shot of three Cormorants was taken while I was standing at a virtual TC called Columbia River Journey (North Jetty) at Cape Disappointment, Washington. The sun wasn't at a particularly favorable angle and these birds are so dark that getting interesting detail is always a challenge and I rate this a fair. However, I enjoyed seeing these three birds simultaneously showing three different wing positions.

Based on the kinked, robust neck, I believe these are probably Double-crested Cormorants (Phalacrocorax auritus).

-GD

c6ef0d74-fd28-45f2-8bc1-80ffecda8609.jpg

Inspiration: Nature Photographer

June 17

PCT Sampler - Garnet Peak View GCQWA4

swtaill.jpg

Happiness is like a butterfly.

The more you chase it, the more it eludes you.

But if you turn your attention to other things,

It comes and sits softly on your shoulder.

Nathaniel Hawthorne

Western Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (Papilio rutulus) by travelita

Camera: Kodak Z650

Lens:10X Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon Optical Zoom

Natural Color

ISO 80

Aperture: f 3.2

Shutter speed: 1/400

This Red Tailed Hawk has been flying around near Casa de LLOT for the past couple of weeks. Finally, I decided to go out and shoot it... :)

a4e19189-acb3-4a0d-bd9b-6f03a5f44287.jpg

The third shot is exceptional for overall quality and expression. Birds in flight, particularly large raptors, are inspiring photographic topics. How fortunate to have a Red Tail hang around as a neighbor and willing model. Well done!

-GD

This Red Tailed Hawk has been flying around near Casa de LLOT for the past couple of weeks. Finally, I decided to go out and shoot it... :)

a4e19189-acb3-4a0d-bd9b-6f03a5f44287.jpg

The third shot is exceptional for overall quality and expression. Birds in flight, particularly large raptors, are inspiring photographic topics. How fortunate to have a Red Tail hang around as a neighbor and willing model. Well done!

-GD

Fabulous shot ...

LLOT%20Red%20Tailed%20Hawk.jpg

How's this for some 'shopped versions?

LLOT%20Red%20Tailed%20Hawk%2002.jpg

LLOT%20Red%20Tailed%20Hawk%20Branch.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Tuesday, 6/2/2009

A selection of critter photos from walk around Manzanita Lake in Lassen National Park. No GCs allowed here but there would could be some very nice virtuals if allowed. Still sorting through images from this extended trip that included some memorable GCs and TCs.

-GD

American Dipper (Cinclas mexicanus)

58b80631-865c-4705-831a-10b7c2030d5f.jpg

Tree Swallows (Tachycineta bicolor)

91075a4c-8ad6-4b40-8d0c-912f7bc87952.jpg

Female Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) and brood

1d0c4062-0d9a-47c1-9189-5066eba84afe.jpg

Western Wood-Pewee (Contopus sordidulus) or Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii)

868888d9-b479-4cd3-b72a-38ea8788b456.jpg

California Red-sided Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis)

296ed099-890d-4860-bbca-dc7ef7252b76.jpg

Pair of Ospreys (Pandion haliaetus)

0619bcd7-9311-4528-8377-5ccd7d4cb2ac.jpg

What the Ospreys were after (14-15" Rainbow Trout)

e7cbf46c-ca41-4558-a8c3-6ee0b193e65e.jpg

Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus) gathering nest material

e9679cbd-ff4f-4b22-8190-fc64a70ea07c.jpg

Return trip

9200c3fe-74a0-4038-ba4e-958ea3c91554.jpg

Osprey emerging after unsuccessful dive

28806ebc-31d3-43e0-85a7-63f8d623fec8.jpg

June 28

Near BOX OF ROCKS (GC1M3WX)

When I came across the pump station’s No Trespass sign, I realized I’d focused in too tightly on the flora and fauna at trailside. Walking back a ways, and after slowing to identify animal tracks in the moist sand, I stopped to scan the hillsides. In that moment, I notice a slight tawny movement at the base of large boulders far off in the distance. The color spot expands and lengthens but I still can’t make it out! Whatever it is, is angling toward me. I zoom in that direction to take a pic and the flash goes off. I’m alarmed now, and the suspense is a bit much. After considering the consequences, I cease tracking to utilize the camera’s review feature.

I see what it’s not and utter an audible relief! Well earned, as I’ve never seen a

Mule Deer Fawn (Odocoileus hemionus) in the wild.

bd358f09-17ac-41ec-953e-f077af37853d.jpg

“The old Lakota was wise.

He knew that man’s heart away from nature becomes hard;

He knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to lack of respect for humans too.”

Chief Luther Standing Bear

Moving through the riparian woodland just five minutes later, I spot a Coyote (Canis latrans) on the hill, silhouetted against the blazing sun. A quick glance and it saunters over to our trail below.

ed736f68-2204-4f67-a4cf-51d84190dff1.jpg

“We aim above the mark to hit the mark.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

June 30 Bird Sanctuary Bug Drop (GC18Y9P)

6dd421eb-b218-4ad3-8397-b3b338725d2a.jpg

Willet

18e25cff-a0b8-4435-86bd-645716878401.jpg

Least Tern

97f35299-e4b7-4a7c-9349-8b42220f3385.jpg

Long-billed Curlew

“To stand at the edge of the sea, to sense the ebb and flow of the tides,

to feel the breath of a mist moving over a great salt marsh,

to watch the flight of shore birds that have swept up and down

the surf lines of the continents for untold thousands of years,

to see the running of the old eels and the young shad to the sea,

is to have knowledge of things that are as nearly eternal as any earthly life can be.”

Rachel Carson