San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

This just in ...

Deer near Geocache "Snake Haven" above Sweetwater Reservoir July 14, 2008.

The deer watched me very carefully and matched my advance down the service

road with a retreat up the hill toward Mt. Miguel. Not a bad shot from 350-feet

taken with an Olympus C-50 2x-zoom pocket camera, huh?

Of course everything is possible with Photoshop CS3. I just cropped a chunk out

of the center of the shot and posted it on personal web space to avoid the resizing

always done by Geocaching.com. Of course some color enchancement in the a and

b color channels and mojo sharpening in the L channel.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Blair Valley 2005

sum11.jpeg

No Way That is photo shopped right?

OR is it real?

I have a pal that was born in Yuma, Arizona, I always pestered him about

Jackalopes. Whenever I was near an Arizona gift shop I always bought-out

the Jackalope postcards. Then whenever I was away on business I would

send one of the Jackalope cards to my pal with the same message, "Hey

Collins, Get back to work!"

He even had a mounted Jackalope head attached to his fabric-covered work-

space. Somehwere I've got a half-dozen of the postcards left over from my

working days, maybe I'll send another one to my pal tomorrow.

Edited by SD Rowdies

That Such A Weird Animal.

What is it?

What ever it is it's cool.

It is a Hermissenda crassicornis, jabridge, also known as a nudibranch. I saw this very small creature in a cave while tide-pooling in Mendocino, CA on July 3rd. I also slipped and hurt my knee real good about 20 minutes after making my way along the shore to the caves. Major ouchie! My sister, rxdoc, got her first degree in marine biology ... and she just HAD to take me out there early in the morning (I made her stop for coffee tho :huh: ). She had found another nudibranch about a week prior and sent me a picture of it. Seeing one with my own two eyes was another experience entirely.

We saw something else, as were heading out, that she got even more excited about ... maybe I should post a pic of that creature next?

Edited by boysnbarrie

55169ffc-8339-4b21-818a-142f6059ffe0.jpg

When my sister spotted this, :huh: she reacted in an amazing way. With all the grass she was fingering through, I was surprised she saw anything at all. I never saw these creatures until she pointed them out to me. This is what she wrote about this star creature later:

"We think the brittle star is the Burrowing Brittle Star (Amphiodia occidentalis).... the specimen we found was in extraordinary good shape! No lost limbs nor even lost pieces of limbs. It appears that it's regenerating pieces of lost limbs, though. Choice find!!"

So ... apparently, this is exciting :huh: . A real "choice find!" Wow, I feel that way when I score a great sale at Macy's. :)

Apologies for falling way behind on logging caches and posting critter photos. Have a variety of local fauna and several from the Rockies from a trip to Estes Park and Rockey Mountain National Park back at the end of June/early July. Will be catching up on logs in coming weeks.

In the meantime, I could not resist sharing these Belding's Ground Squirrel shots taken while visiting Lakeshore Picnic II along the shoreline of Lake Estes back on Saturday morning, 28 June.

Belding's have long been Gecko family favorites, whether in the high country of the Sierra or at the county park at the northwest corner of Mono Lake.

Once again, I ended up on my belly to minimize my profile and let them feel comfortable I was there. Great fun. Almost forgot to get around to searching for the nanocache and I was definitely late for breakfast. :D

-GD

Two to tango (Spermophilus beldingi)

7923dc59-4298-4fc9-bb42-e02779d06671.jpg

Can you fall asleep standing up?

48f9d2a9-2450-405a-8cb0-2003357615eb.jpg

Scratch, scratch

114a774a-f529-4158-9e8f-cae83e667c30.jpg

Bark, bark

74e81ce4-d88c-4704-9fea-41fa786c520a.jpg

Up close and personal

4a336f97-65f5-43f2-afa0-5932ebd052dd.jpg

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Another critter from our RMNP trip. The White-throated Swift is an amazing aerobatic performer. Its Latin name says it all - Aeronautes saxatalis. On my early morning walks along the shoreline of Lake Estes, these speedsters were regularly in abundance. They are capable of speeds up to 200 mph and reportedly will fly over a million miles during their lifetimes (that's 40 times around the world).

These shots were taken near Lake Estes View.

White-throated Swift - faster than my shutter

a7802af0-9d17-479f-9c81-73075b019c8f.jpg

A rare pause

96dd6726-7a25-4c7d-9f0c-285704eecfaf.jpg

The setting

a9e8cf82-935c-432b-81b4-021f42b695fe.jpg

Saturday, 8/9/2008

Gecko Mom and I walked around the zoo today to see the three new Sumatran Tiger cubs and the four new Meerkat pups. The Meerkats are on Elephant Mesa, quite close to San Diego Zoo Virtual. I did not think to use my cellphone as a camera until after a fantastic tiger encounter that featured all three in a tumble game right in front of us at the lower viewing area. Even mom got in the act and put her nose right up to me across the glass barrier - then roared for the cubs. Wow!

Here are a few of the cellphone images at San Diego's own Meerkat Manor.

-GD

Peek-a-boo pup

2ff18bc2-89c8-4165-b658-e5581f890fef.jpg

Conquering a giant worm

6e18dd29-4394-4919-ac5b-78a0cfaf248c.jpg

Meerkat Manor

4938a817-c233-4244-b1fa-9910fd1f7a30.jpg

Down for the count x4

7753d452-cd3a-43cf-a36d-0fa0f28ff36b.jpg

I was minding my own business, enjoying the lovely surrounding views and the cool night air as the kwvers! and I made our way to nearby:

Santee Cache series.....#2 ??? (GC1CYBQ)

:P Then I saw THIS ...

ae63a2dc-6be6-4db7-8a23-80916ec003ad.jpg

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :P or maybe I did? ;)

Edited by boysnbarrie

I was minding my own business, enjoying the lovely surrounding views and the cool night air as the kwvers! and I made our way to nearby:

:laughing: Then I saw THIS ...

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :D or maybe I did? :)

Tarantulath are your friendth.

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :P or maybe I did? :laughing:

Must be tarantula season! Just found this one in MTRP this morning.

486f6bd8-21be-462e-86c8-257c6829d2e9.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/f89e40...9483037d7e0.jpg

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :P or maybe I did? :laughing:

The Navajo used to live in what is now known as the Canyon de Chelly National Park, this contains an amazing monolith of rock 800 feet high known as 'Spider Rock'. This rock according to Navajo legends was the home of 'Old Mother Tarantula' or 'Spider Woman'. Mixed up with this are stories of a spider who would climb down from the rock to catch children and carry them back to the top to eat. Navajo mothers apparently told their children that the outcroppings of white quartz at the top of the monolith were the bones of disobedient children who were more likely to be caught by the spider. This doesn't seem very friendly to me, Harmon.

The Navajo used to live in what is now known as the Canyon de Chelly National Park, this contains an amazing monolith of rock 800 feet high known as 'Spider Rock'. This rock according to Navajo legends was the home of 'Old Mother Tarantula' or 'Spider Woman'. Mixed up with this are stories of a spider who would climb down from the rock to catch children and carry them back to the top to eat. Navajo mothers apparently told their children that the outcroppings of white quartz at the top of the monolith were the bones of disobedient children who were more likely to be caught by the spider. This doesn't seem very friendly to me, Harmon.

Perhapth Navajoth are not your friendth.

b4c87f44-bbd2-45b9-ae95-e26b5f42cb2c.jpg

Disobedient children being eaten by Old Mother Tatarantula,

ith that a good thang or a bad thang?

Hmmm?

Edited by SD Rowdies

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :laughing: or maybe I did? :P

Hmmm?

A good thang.

And I like children, though I cannot usually finish a whole one by myself.

:D Then I saw THIS ...

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :D or maybe I did? :laughing:

Hmmm?

A good thang.

In a W.C. Fields movie he was asked "How do you like children?"

He answered "Well done."

So are you related to W.C. Fields?

Edited by SD Rowdies

:D Then I saw THIS ...

I did my best to take a decent picture, but all I had was my iPhone ... and I'm not much of a tarantula fan, if ya know what I mean; so I might have been a lil' shakey. When Mister kwvers! began touching it with a stick ... I thot I was going to freak out! :D or maybe I did? :laughing:

Hmmm?

A good thang.

In a W.C. Fields movie he was asked "How do you like children?"

He answered "Well done."

So are you related to W.C. Fields?

, Well, actually Jonathan Swift--certainly a man of rare vision :D

Juvenile Osprey ...

76f014f8-62a4-48c9-a287-893341afd7c3.jpg

Heard it from the bikeway along Highway 54. It was calliing frantically

for a parent using four distinct calls, one even melodic much like a song

bird. Very loud calls by the way.

As I hurried to get photos a parent Osprey flew close-by the juvenile.

I was signing the log for one of the Tombmaker caches, maybe #13.

Can I count this critter-encounter as a Find?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Last week, as we were walking to 52 Pick Up: Queen of Clubs, Ms. LLOT spotted a tarantula but since I was further up the trail, I missed it. We tried to find it on the way back, but it was gone. I was kind of bummed since I figured that it would have made a good cache critter photo.

So today, I was walking to Lapin de resort en Quail Canyon and I spotted a tarantula. I figured that I was very lucky to see another tarantula and to have the opportunity to photograph it for the critters page. So here it is...

f6efb13e-b18f-432c-befd-1040971d4e38.jpg

So I walked a little further up the canyon and amazingly, there is another tarantula! Hooray! Two tarantulas in one day. It's not often that happens. So here is tarantula #2.

32e47841-0748-4302-8665-f7a7705f77be.jpg

So now, I've found the cache and I'm walking back. I've passed tarantula #1 and tarantula #2 and I'm about halfway back and I spot another one of the little guys. Wow! Amazing! Three in one day! Here's tarantula #3:

ac3691eb-a861-40c2-a8a7-b044256d154d.jpg

And finally, I was getting close to my car and, wow!, there's one more! I have never seen so many tarantulas in a single day! Fantastic! Here is tarantula #4!

9a3441d8-75bf-44ea-ae23-13af8317edf5.jpg

Hmmm, if you are not into spiders, this might not be a good time to be going geocaching... :huh:

We saw a Tarantula also in MTRP Thurs. evening while walked back to the Mast parking lot. He was just wandering along the side of the trail. Must be some sort of cycle going on for them to be out in force like that. Don't think they migrate, so it must be some sort of a 'guy' thing B) ..............did you check and see if they were all males? B)

Splashette :huh:

Ms. LLOT and I saw this raven on the way back from Tree Buffalo. The photo makes it look small but this is a fairly large bird (about a foot high when sitting up ....

61bfe630-324f-4c6f-af64-bfeeaac65f98.jpg

It sure is something to see the twilight Raven flights homing in on night

roosting areas nowadays. To see an example of the flights drive north

along the I-15 between Mira Mesa and Escondido just at sundown and

watch the sky east of the freeway. You'll see flights of twenty to fifty

Ravens one after another heading southward all along the way.

Local Raven populations have increased dramatically in the past decade.

I saw one report claiming a 1,500% increase in the last two decades.

We should place some caches near their major roosting areas just to call

attention to the Raven population. Maybe Alfred Hitchcock had it right.

Karen and her Ravens

Edited by SD Rowdies

Last week, as we were walking to 52 Pick Up: Queen of Clubs, Ms. LLOT spotted a tarantula but since I was further up the trail, I missed it. We tried to find it on the way back, but it was gone. I was kind of bummed since I figured that it would have made a good cache critter photo.

So today, I was walking to Lapin de resort en Quail Canyon and I spotted a tarantula. I figured that I was very lucky to see another tarantula and to have the opportunity to photograph it for the critters page. So here it is...

So I walked a little further up the canyon and amazingly, there is another tarantula! Hooray! Two tarantulas in one day. It's not often that happens. So here is tarantula #2.

So now, I've found the cache and I'm walking back. I've passed tarantula #1 and tarantula #2 and I'm about halfway back and I spot another one of the little guys. Wow! Amazing! Three in one day! Here's tarantula #3:

And finally, I was getting close to my car and, wow!, there's one more! I have never seen so many tarantulas in a single day! Fantastic! Here is tarantula #4!

Hmmm, if you are not into spiders, this might not be a good time to be going geocaching... :ph34r:

Hmmm, if you are not into spiders, this might not be a good time to be going geocaching... :ph34r:

Seen a few tarantulas in MTRP this week also. Never saw this before. Momma spider with kids riding piggy-back.

s7300535qw8.jpg

Friday, 11/21/2008

Once again I have fallen woefully behind on posting recent cache critter sightings. Hope to eventually find time to catch up. In the meantime, here are a couple from an early morning hike/run on Black's Beach before and after visiting Ashes - 101 Dalmations and a climb of Torrey Pines Falls.

-Gecko Dad

Raven (Corvus corax)

09cf8cc8-a0ca-47cf-bd4c-323b8e1389a1.jpg

Marbled Godwit (Limosa fedoa)

466c004b-91d3-4124-b17b-f66b318b576f.jpg

Natural wonder

f1180fb7-229d-4a0d-add6-19b14eae36ef.jpg

Why we live in San Diego

dd8963d9-73d3-43ee-9321-2910ca023efb.jpg

The LLOT-in-Laws were visiting this weekend and we all went to the zoo. I was hoping to be able to find The World Famous Multi-Cache (GC1E1P0) but the eight WPs or so were all in the wrong order (given that I was not in control of what to see next...) So instead, I had to be satisfied with some critter photos.

Caracal

bdc13959-cb65-4ba9-be95-2212ce27437d.jpg

Duck!

1078d18b-01e1-42b0-8b67-17c35f2c8f88.jpg

Giraffe

cdc61a36-1e04-43ef-9133-29a3fcb1e144.jpg

River Otter

0f3e779c-7cf0-41fd-bd0d-91d9777dd4cd.jpg

Peacock -- This guy was highly annoyed at the "other peacock" who just would not give ground no matter how many times he was pecked.

7d0db279-5957-49bc-b595-c1c355a49e18.jpg

Snow Leopard

c79c6851-7c0f-417c-9aaf-a811b731ecda.jpg

Zebra with a mohawk

b805554e-2a53-40ae-b5b2-7d3c7e618ddc.jpg

Cache Critters of Buenos Aires

We were in Buenos Aires on our way to points south and we found a couple of caches Mayo Y Zou and Dique Cache. And we have a Cache Critter photo as well...

Pigeon, La Boca, Buenos Aires, Argentina

fe9b9594-9209-4157-97eb-07652cad02ce.jpg

Well done!

7ce44d65-ab79-4f99-9dce-e0b458c0b895.jpg

An outstanding photo, good eye.

Couldn't resist tweaking that shot, just a touch of color and

sharpness for the statue details with the wall blended back

in as shot. It offers a delightful rule-of-three crop as well.

Screen saver!

Do share other photos from your trip. When shooting in the

southern hemisphere do you have to turn the camera upside

down?

Edited by SD Rowdies