San Diego County Cache Critters

Team Gecko

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#5 in a series)

Black Cobra - Amber Fort, Jaipur, India

71c8412c-6bb8-4df7-9919-60f151d4bbf6.jpg

Snake charmers are fairly common throughout India. Although it appears that the snake moves to the sound of the pipe, snakes cannot hear the music. It's all a trick that exploits the cobra's natural tendancies. The snake is kept in a dark basket. When the cover is removed, the snake rises up and spreads it's hood. It's a defensive reaction to the sudden light. When it sees the pipe, it moves in reaction to the movement of the pipe.

Snake charmers are fairly common throughout India. Although it appears that the snake moves to the sound of the pipe, snakes cannot hear the music. It's all a trick that exploits the cobra's natural tendancies. The snake is kept in a dark basket. When the cover is removed, the snake rises up and spreads it's hood. It's a defensive reaction to the sudden light. When it sees the pipe, it moves in reaction to the movement of the pipe.

Actually LLOT, Snakes can hear. They just can't see--at least caches. :laughing:

Actually LLOT, Snakes can hear. They just can't see--at least caches. :ph34r:

Is that US currency made into his flute? Great pictures by the way. Never been to India or Bhutan. I've been in the area though.

Is that US currency made into his flute? Great pictures by the way. Never been to India or Bhutan. I've been in the area though.

Interesting question. I had not even noticed that until you pointed it out. Blowing up the original image, I can see that the copper coin in the bottom right is a US penny and the copper coin in the bottom center is an UK penny. The brass colored coin in the center is something I've seen before but I haven't been able to place it yet. The rest have insufficient detail to determine.

So how, exactly, do you get that thing back into the basket? (and don't just say, "very carefully!")

So how, exactly, do you get that thing back into the basket? (and don't just say, "very carefully!")

I don't know that I would be willing to try it but the process seemed to be: pick up the lid, put it on top of the snake and push down.

These guys seem to be pretty nonchalant about handling the snakes. Here's a bonus cache critter photo. These are Spectacled Cobras and the place is New Delhi. The snake charmer is in the process of picking up one of the snakes to try to lure us over.

9ba7aac5-f9c7-40ce-aa24-5de42995c992.jpg

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#13 in a series)

Asian Elephants - Jaipur, India

dba4b301-f672-48a6-98cf-b6c268d0cc81.jpg

Just an idea of the range of traffic conditions that one faces on Indian roads. It's aptly captured in Article II of the "Highway Code of India":

Indian traffic, like Indian society, is structured on a strict caste system. The following precedence must be accorded at all times: In descending order, give way to: cows, elephants, camels, water buffalo, pigs, goats, dogs, heavy trucks, official cars, pedal rickshaws, private cars, motorcycles, scooters, auto-rickshaws, handcarts and pedestrians.

The other important point about driving in India is contained in Article IV:

Use of Horn

Cars:

• Short blasts indicate supremacy, e.g. in clearing dogs, rickshaws and pedestrians from one's path.
  • Long blasts denote supplication, e.g. to an oncoming truck "I am going to fast to stop, so unless you slow down, we shall both die."
  • Single blast means "I have just seen someone out of India's 1 billion population whom I recognize" or "I have not blown my horn in several minutes."

Trucks and buses:

• All horn signals have the same meaning: "I have an all-up weight of 12.5 tons and have no intention of stopping even if I could."

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#13 in a series)

Asian Elephants - Jaipur, India

dba4b301-f672-48a6-98cf-b6c268d0cc81.jpg

Just an idea of the range of traffic conditions that one faces on Indian roads. It's aptly captured in Article II of the "Highway Code of India":

Indian traffic, like Indian society, is structured on a strict caste system. The following precedence must be accorded at all times: In descending order, give way to: cows, elephants, camels, water buffalo, pigs, goats, dogs, heavy trucks, official cars, pedal rickshaws, private cars, motorcycles, scooters, auto-rickshaws, handcarts and pedestrians.

The other important point about driving in India is contained in Article IV:

Use of Horn

Cars:

• Short blasts indicate supremacy, e.g. in clearing dogs, rickshaws and pedestrians from one's path.
  • Long blasts denote supplication, e.g. to an oncoming truck "I am going to fast to stop, so unless you slow down, we shall both die."
  • Single blast means "I have just seen someone out of India's 1 billion population whom I recognize" or "I have not blown my horn in several minutes."

Trucks and buses:

• All horn signals have the same meaning: "I have an all-up weight of 12.5 tons and have no intention of stopping even if I could."

What I wanna know is what is that rope doing in the elephant's butt?

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#4 in a series)

Rhesus Macacque - New Delhi, India

59503087-ea16-4b8d-bf0c-ee32131e6548.jpg

These guys have adapted to city life all too well. They are major pests that have learned to pickpockets and break into houses to raid refrigerators in order to find food.

This picture reminds me . . . it's almost time for my physical. :)

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#4 in a series)

Rhesus Macacque - New Delhi, India

59503087-ea16-4b8d-bf0c-ee32131e6548.jpg

These guys have adapted to city life all too well. They are major pests that have learned to pickpockets and break into houses to raid refrigerators in order to find food.

This picture reminds me . . . it's almost time for my physical. :D
:) Edited by TrailGators
Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#17 in a series)

Sambar Deer - Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan, India

98f26b62-76fb-42dd-8afc-27072eca07f4.jpg

Can you see the other one?

Yep (UL) but it's much easier to spot them when they move. When I used to hunt they spotted you when you moved. As long as you weren't moving they couldn't quite figure out what you were. I got really good at moving super slowly and quietly. I snuck up within 20 feet of deer many times with some practice. Sometimes they would bob their heads or paw the ground trying to get me to move. It's fun to be able to get that close to them.

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#21 in a series)

Spotted Deer - Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan, India

30dbb0b7-5407-4007-8390-afc310918958.jpg

Yes, you could say that I "spotted" them...(somebody was going to say it, so I went for the preemptive strike...)

The un-spotted lady in the background is a nilgai. The green leaves that the Spotted Deer is eating is courtesy of a troop of langurs in the tree above. They are sloppy eaters and the greenery was dropping like manna from heaven.

Spotted Deer Fawn (a.k.a. Tiger Food)

106e1502-06da-4b5d-9aa5-c2a81158a702.jpg

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#21 in a series)

Spotted Deer - Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan, India

30dbb0b7-5407-4007-8390-afc310918958.jpg

Yes, you could say that I "spotted" them...(somebody was going to say it, so I went for the preemptive strike...)

The un-spotted lady in the background is a nilgai. The green leaves that the Spotted Deer is eating is courtesy of a troop of langurs in the tree above. They are sloppy eaters and the greenery was dropping like manna from heaven.

Spotted Deer Fawn (a.k.a. Tiger Food)

106e1502-06da-4b5d-9aa5-c2a81158a702.jpg

<_< I'm having fun looking at all your pictures James...but where were you when you took them all? In a tour bus? Hiking? At a zoo? Such variety also. Thanks!

<_< I'm having fun looking at all your pictures James...but where were you when you took them all? In a tour bus? Hiking? At a zoo? Such variety also. Thanks!

Some were taken while walking and/or hiking. The elephant photo was taken from the driver's cab of a bus. The gecko photo was taken in a hotel hallway.

All of the ones from Ranthambore National Park were taken from a "canter" which is a kind of a open light truck. (I guess the name might have originally come from Mitsubishi Fuso, but the ones that we rode in don't look much like what Mitsubishi now brands as a "Canter")

None where taken at a zoo. All animals shown are living in the wild (though it might be a stretch to call urban New Delhi "in the wild"...)

I've saved the best for the last. All the critters shown in prior photos relatively commonly seen. The critters that follow are special in that, even if you go to Ranthambore, there is no guarantee that you will see them (though they will definitely see you.) You would consider yourself very lucky to see a fleeting image as one disappeared into the brush. We saw four, a mother tigress and three two-year-old cubs (almost ready to head out on their own) up close and personal...

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#23 in a series)

Bengal Tigers! - Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan, India

57f0f852-f135-47b0-90ad-b2ef3f7bde8e.jpg

bf7931f3-c8e7-48cc-b8d2-36dc09666aff.jpg

b1a888c6-320c-40ef-b665-dd1d6548385e.jpg

54a21cea-9e8b-442c-b51b-a716b6296d39.jpg

bda52c0c-dbb6-4e48-acbf-7d37290ee2c7.jpg

I've saved the best for the last. All the critters shown in prior photos relatively commonly seen. The critters that follow are special in that, even if you go to Ranthambore, there is no guarantee that you will see them (though they will definitely see you.) You would consider yourself very lucky to see a fleeting image as one disappeared into the brush. We saw four, a mother tigress and three two-year-old cubs (almost ready to head out on their own) up close and personal...

Cache Critters of Bhutan and India (#23 in a series)

Bengal Tigers! - Ranthambore National Park, Rajasthan, India

57f0f852-f135-47b0-90ad-b2ef3f7bde8e.jpg

bf7931f3-c8e7-48cc-b8d2-36dc09666aff.jpg

b1a888c6-320c-40ef-b665-dd1d6548385e.jpg

54a21cea-9e8b-442c-b51b-a716b6296d39.jpg

bda52c0c-dbb6-4e48-acbf-7d37290ee2c7.jpg

Is it just me or does anybody else feel like there's some missing details about this amazing adventure?

One thing for sure I'm keeping my little snapshots of road-runners and garden snakes to myself from now on. Sheesh.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Wow! Those are amazing photos, James!!
I agree! The tigers are my favorite ones so far!

Yes! Thank you for the photos. I have to laugh at Harmon though, with keeping his garden snakes and roadrunners to himself. I still like those photos as well. But wait.....Isn't Harmon the master manipulater when it comes to photos? The common Snake and roadrunner could definately look just as exotic as the pics we just saw. :unsure:

Thank you for the pics James. I enjoyed them. Maybe sometime in my lifetime I too will have the opportunity to travel to that part of the world. Meantime, the pictures will have to do and they were great! :(

Yes! Thank you for the photos. I have to laugh at Harmon though, with keeping his garden snakes and roadrunners to himself. I still like those photos as well. But wait.....Isn't Harmon the master manipulater when it comes to photos? The common Snake and roadrunner could definately look just as exotic as the pics we just saw. :)

Thank you for the pics James. I enjoyed them. Maybe sometime in my lifetime I too will have the opportunity to travel to that part of the world. Meantime, the pictures will have to do and they were great! :)

Harmon: Keep posting. We enjoy the pictures, but don't mess with snakes!

James: The tigers are also my favorites. I must admit to being a bit envious. You LLOTs are fortunate to have been able to make the trip.

Yes! Thank you for the photos. I have to laugh at Harmon though, with keeping his garden snakes and roadrunners to himself. I still like those photos as well. But wait.....Isn't Harmon the master manipulater when it comes to photos? The common Snake and roadrunner could definately look just as exotic as the pics we just saw. :)

Thank you for the pics James. I enjoyed them. Maybe sometime in my lifetime I too will have the opportunity to travel to that part of the world. Meantime, the pictures will have to do and they were great! :)

Harmon: Keep posting. We enjoy the pictures, but don't mess with snakes!

James: The tigers are also my favorites. I must admit to being a bit envious. You LLOTs are fortunate to have been able to make the trip.

Say, did y' ever see my photo of a tiger-headed rattlesnake? Most people just say "Don't encourage him," so thanks for your support.

By the way, my favorite photo of the set is that dilapidated old hand-made truck. I'm thinking it would be a way that FATTBOY could go off-roading without getting stuck so much.

Edited by SD Rowdies
One thing for sure I'm keeping my little snapshots of road-runners and garden snakes to myself from now on. Sheesh.

Interspersed with all the exotic animals from the other side of the world are the photos that I took of two local cache critters, which were...

...a roadrunner and a garden snake!

Harmon, please keep on posting your pictures!

Just kidding ... a silly way to show great respect for your fabulous images from far away.

I know when I've been totally outclassed by you and daddy Gecko.

So come on now, what lead you to that trip? We want details, well, I do anyway.

There's an interesting article in the morning paper about a photographer having to admit

that he 'shopped a prize-winning photo. O please!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Wow James!

Fantastic shots! Our church is planning a missions trip to Nepal this summer to to some building...I had to pass, and now your pics make it even worse! Thanks for sharing!

On another note...I read in the NC Times yesterday about some wildlife overpasses that are being discussed...one of them is on my way home. They are proposing a 600 foot wide bridge that would span I-15 just north of the border patrol station. I don't know if they will get funding, but the reason I am bringing this up, is the animals they are hoping to use the bridge are deer, mountain lions...and badgers. We have deer and several moutain lions up in that area...but I've never seen, nor heard of any badgers. Do we have badgers around here...or are they just expecting them to come by and see the new bridge? :D

Wow James!

Fantastic shots! Our church is planning a missions trip to Nepal this summer to to some building...I had to pass, and now your pics make it even worse! Thanks for sharing!

On another note...I read in the NC Times yesterday about some wildlife overpasses that are being discussed...one of them is on my way home. They are proposing a 600 foot wide bridge that would span I-15 just north of the border patrol station. I don't know if they will get funding, but the reason I am bringing this up, is the animals they are hoping to use the bridge are deer, mountain lions...and badgers. We have deer and several moutain lions up in that area...but I've never seen, nor heard of any badgers. Do we have badgers around here...or are they just expecting them to come by and see the new bridge? :D

I once worked with a guy at Camp Elliott and he badgered me every chance he got. California Badgers mostly hang out near Yosemite, yes?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Wow James!

On another note...I read in the NC Times yesterday about some wildlife overpasses that are being discussed...one of them is on my way home. They are proposing a 600 foot wide bridge that would span I-15 just north of the border patrol station. I don't know if they will get funding, but the reason I am bringing this up, is the animals they are hoping to use the bridge are deer, mountain lions...and badgers. We have deer and several moutain lions up in that area...but I've never seen, nor heard of any badgers. Do we have badgers around here...or are they just expecting them to come by and see the new bridge? :laughing:

I once worked with a guy at Camp Elliott and he badgered me every chance he got.

I don't mean to sound stupid...but sometimes I am simple minded. What does a badger look like? :D Particularly a California badger? All I can picture in my mind is a racoon......alright. I'm off to google it. Thank goodness for google! :laughing: