How Quick Will It Be Muggled?

geocacher_coza

One thing that amazed my here in Houston, TX is the way the caches are hidden! Most are placed without to much camo, or just placed in sight of of most walking or hiking in the visinity! And most of them have been there for more than a year

3cde1974-2326-4456-bd2b-e2a856b1b4f4.jpg

The Cache is haning in the tree for all to see

02a0d18f-ee80-4ed6-ae8a-4beafb666014.jpg

Just at the base of a tree

I wonder how long the cahes will last in South Africa. I'm sure within a day they are gone! In SA we must just about booby trap our caches because of muggles!

My Camp Jeep cache was well off the trail and what I though well hidden and still it disapeared within a month ot two.

What do you think, can we do it like this?

Who well did you hide your cache and still loose it?

The second pic reminds me of Peter's West Coast Flower cache! Not too difficult to spot from a distance.

What's the shortest time a local cache has been active? My Commonplace cache didn't last long at all. With hindsight, it's surprising it lasted as long as it did, given the number of itinerant muggles in the area. Oh well, I take comfort in the thought that I've helped to close the gap somewhat between the have's and the have-not's!

I do also enjoy a well-hidden cache, but it would be nice if the only driving factors were making the hunt more enjoyable and providing protection from the elements. Having to hide a cache well to stop it from being stolen speaks volumes about the current state of our culture. And the fact that caches have disappeared from the top of Table Mountain suggests that it's not only the have-nots who are light-fingered!

Brick and I always joke that the caches in the UK have neon signs above them just incase you miss the obvious cache container which is visible from half a mile away.

I once hid a cache (Scotland the Brave) which required a lengthy reach under a rock (about 80cm) and wasn't visible (no light) even if you stuck your eyeballs in there. Even the gap under the rock wasn't visible due to it all being covered with vegetation. The cache lasted one day :o<_<

I can only surmise that despite my best efforts, walked the whole ridge twice to ensure I was alone, that somewhere there were eye's watching me. Brick discovered the plundered cache a day after my placement, all that was left was the ziploc bag that the cache was placed inside of.

When I used to cache in New Jersey, many caches were hidden like pic two. I would just walk up to them and pick the sucker up. I wonder if it has to do with the amount of people that use the open spaces here in SA. (sleeping, bathing, eating, hiking, etc.) In the states it is hard to get people to get out of their cars to do their banking, let alone walk through a local wooded area. That is left to kids building forts. Well, atleast before video games came around..... <_<

all that was left was the ziploc bag that the cache was placed inside of.

Yes, what is it with that. My Hedge your Bets was just plundered, also with the ziploc bag left behind, and I have seen that happening before.

If people are going to steal your stuff, why go to hassle of taking the ziploc bag to leave there, instead of just walking off with the container as is?

mmmm… now here’s a thought. Perhaps we should just hide Ziploc bags as caches and all run around with blacklights and write on the Ziploc bag with invisible pens….

It is bizarre… you would think that apart from perhaps the cache container, the Ziploc bag would be quite a useful thing. I had RR#3 plundered many moons ago… nice waterproof container gone with contents… the only thing left was a well crafted Hessian bag with drawstring etc…. surely this would have made a useful togbag of sorts?

I now have an uber generation waterproof bag for some of my caches, but due to the expense it is limited to muggle free area caches, the rest get a downgraded version which is only water resistant and naturally plenty cheaper or the good old council bag.

While reading this topic we realized that some of the most basic and exposed caches seem to last a long time. One of our own caches GC13RRK was placed as a temporary measure before we could find a better hiding spot. Because of its success we have decided to leave it until muggled before moving it to a better location.

There must be hundreds of examples out there.