Screen Protector

I've used PDA protectors from Staples, they were fairly inexpensive - but hard to get on the face without bubbles. The Invisible Shield these guys used to advertise on GC.com (hope it's okay that I put in that link?) I don't see the add now. A pricey but first rate product - you have some time to work with it on application to get it bubble free, it's clear and has really done the scratch protection job. Bee on the Garmin about a year and the Magellan about 7 months - looking good so far.

I also use PDA screen protectors on my Garmen eTrex Vist and Quest. I just cut down the sheet to the right size for the GPSr screens. I'm using "Fellows WriteRIGHT." I've had the screens covered for a couple of months and no scratches or other ill affects have been noted.

Hmmmm...I should put one on my iPod screen......

Radio Shack film on my kid's coddled Gameboy has done a decent job: one corner is peeling and the film takes on tiny scratches of it's own. Invisible Shield on my abused GPS appears to be indestructable. It did cost more, but I don't think I will ever have to replace it.

I couldn't get the bubbles out. Plus the display wasn't as crisp with them on then without. I finally gave up and I find the screent these GPS's and PPC's come with are pretty good to stand up against regular scratches.

Plus I'm curious. If you have to replace screens regularly, that means they are getting scratched and creating blurs and les sharp displays because of the screens. So what's the point?

Plus I'm curious. If you have to replace screens regularly, that means they are getting scratched and creating blurs and les sharp displays because of the screens. So what's the point?

actually that was pretty much my thinking then 2 things changed it: 1) getting DEET on the screen, which really hazed it badly and 2) the gradually accumulation of scratches, some of them pretty deep.

I sent the unit back to Magellan for repair (unrelated to the damaged screen) and among other things they replaced that screen. Since then I've used screen protectors. The Invisible Shield being darn near perfect in that it doesn't haze when sprayed with DEET and hasn't even scratched that I can detect. There is the very faintest loss of crispness in the display - but it beats the heck out of what my unprotected screen was looking like. I suspect it has a lot to do with how you carry it and how much pushing through the vegetation you do. Even if you go with inexpensive protectors and change them out, the screen will only get so bad before you have the option to change the protector. The unprotected screen can get pretty unreadable.

Good points. I guess I tend to protect mine to a large degree. I wear my Vista on a neck lanyard which usually is protected. My PPC which I've used for two years tends to stay in it's case or a vest pocket until I need to check but I have dropped it and fallen on it. There are some faint scratches but I don't relly notice them. I guess thye bubbling really turned me off to using them.

I put a really horrible and deep scratch in my Invisible Shield. It saved the screen from being completly trashed. That $10 item saved my 76CS - quite a bargain. Invisible Shield replaced the shield free and they will do so for life.

There is NO comparison between the Radio Shack type of screen protector and the Invisible Shield. None. Period.

I have no connection to the company but I can't possibly say enough good things about their product. If you use the cheap screen protectors you are just fooling yourself. If you ever have something happen that would make a deep and ruinous scratch your cheap screen protector won't help at all. The Invisible Shield will save the unit.

Check out their demo video: InvisibleSHIELD Demo Movie

This may sound crude, but I use packing tape on my PDA, my Nintendo DS (it has a touch screen), my cell phone and my GPSr. I got the idea from Popular Science. Super cheap and they work great too! The only problem is when you remove them, they leave lots of sticky residue :D But its easily removed with Goo Gone.

One of the Texas Vikings - What dollar store do you get your screen protectors from?

I use Fellowes PDA screen protectors that I have for my Palm Tungsten T's screen. It was necessary to trim the thing down carefully to get it to fit, but it's virtually invisible on the screen of my Explorist 500. Getting those things onto a screen without getting bubbles can be done, but it's an artform and takes practice. I've been using screen protectors on my PDA screens for years, so I know the tricks for getting them on correctly.

radio shack.  put 'em on every screen i could find: gps, phone, camera, watch, gameboy, pda.

Me too!

PDA, Digital Cameras, I'm on my 3rd (with a big screen!), MP3 player, XM Radio screen, AND GPSr's!

They have definetly saved mine and two of my friend's GPSr screens...one friend had used a DEET based insect repellent and got it on her screen protector...and the other friend, dropped his two week brand new Garmin 60CS on a rock...boogered up the screen protector, but the original screen was just fine. Well worth the 12 pack at the office store in my opinion!

We just get a 12 pack of PDA protectors and cut them to fit. I've used Fellows Write Right Screen Protectors and also their "Brain Wash" wet and dry cleaning cloths.

Keep an eye on Big Lots type close out stores or the bargain bins at the office store for old PDA models sized screen protectors and get them cheap! :D

I put a really horrible and deep scratch in my Invisible Shield. It saved the screen from being completly trashed. That $10 item saved my 76CS - quite a bargain. Invisible Shield replaced the shield free and they will do so for life.

There is NO comparison between the Radio Shack type of screen protector and the Invisible Shield. None. Period.

I have no connection to the company but I can't possibly say enough good things about their product. If you use the cheap screen protectors you are just fooling yourself. If you ever have something happen that would make a deep and ruinous scratch your cheap screen protector won't help at all. The Invisible Shield will save the unit.

Check out their demo video: InvisibleSHIELD Demo Movie

I've yet to figure out how showing that sharp objects won't penetrate the material has any bearing on protecting the screen from the same type of "attack". Doing that to a LCD screen with the protector in place will crack the screen rendering it useless. Broken, but without scratches! Wow, what a relief. :D