New Gps Or The One I Havenow

Bronson

I am not a computer guy so please try to make your answers as simple as possible.I read on one of the posts that the accuracy of these units is going to get way better. I have a Magellan Meridian Gold and i was wondering if this unit will get this accuracy or will i need to buy a new gpsr. Maybe i could be doing much better now with another unit but i like the big screen and i'm used to this one. Is there something i should keep an eye out for?

Edited by Bronson

The accuracy will not get better. Some newer models will get better reception, but they will still be subject to the same 2 to 3 meters of accuracy.

There was a thread last week about the launch of the first european GPS satellite that will supposedly give users better accuracy, but that will be a long time in the future - maybe 10 years or so.

If you like what you have now, then there's no reason to change.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Interesting question, and accurate answer, so far. Let me tell you about my experiences. I started off with a Garmin Geko 101, which is about the cheapest, most basic unit you can buy. I used this for a year and a half, at which point I stupidly left it lying near a cache site. By the time I realized it, somebody had taken it (had to be a busy spot, of course).

I replaced the Geko with a MAP60CS. It has failed twice and had to be replaced by the factory. But even ignoring that, my $400 wonder does NOTHING to help me find caches any better. There are just more toys to play with. Which can be important when you have low self-esteem like me. In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd just bought another Geko. OK, I wish I'd never left the first one lying around for people to steal.

If you like your unit, keep it. If you hate it, get another one. Happy caching!

Melrose

Neo Geo, (or anyone who can help)

I also saw something on television about the launch of the first european GPS satellite and it seemed to me that they were launching that right away. I was wondering if that would have some affect sooner than we think?

Paul

Edited by Bronson

Back in the 90's were the non-mapping units that were not 12 channel.

Then came the 12 channel ones in the late 90's

Then came GPS units with basemaps.

Next came the ones with uploadable mapping

Then were the ones with memory cards

Next came the ones with Color TFT displays.

Then came ones with better receivers

This is about a couple years between each improvement.

The way it is now, your 12 channel mapping GPS should last 5 or more years, before breakage.

The ones with the SiRF III chipset, will be an optional upgrade, because the ones that came out on the market in the last couple years, is all you need, but your oldest 12 channel GPS unit should last until breakage.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I think the Galileo system will have (same for the GPSIII system) a second "civillian" frequency for the "greater accuracy" they are boasting about.

There is supposed to be a third civvy frequency, probably for some business use for the Galileo operators to make a dollar from big business or something??

Both Galileo and GPSIII are supposed to be operational in about '08-'10.

I think the biggest difference between new gen and current gen is the interference technology.

Better accuracy may only mean 'more accurate for a longer period, or under adverse conditions, such as forrest cover or inside buildings'......... not neccesarily 50cm accuracy!

Don't believe the hype (ads?? <_< ) that the Galileo consortium spew out!

Wait for the 1 m accuracy to become established first!

Next gen GPSr's will almost certainly have both GNSS interopability, and possibly 20 or 24 channel at that too!

Until then the Meridian is as good as any!