6 Month Ban

lathama

This probably wont be popular, but i feel that the Uk needs a 6 month placing ban on caches.

There are too many in the uk. We only have a small landmass, yet we average 8 new caches a day. We dont have room for all these new caches.

Event caches are ok as they are only around for one day and then they are gone, but traditional or multi caches take up room which we dont want to have boxes cluttering up!

STOP PLACING CACHES

WE NEED A 6 MONTH BAN

This probably wont be popular, but i feel that the Uk needs a 6 month placing ban on caches.

There are too many in the uk. We only have a small landmass, yet we average 8 new caches a day. We dont have room for all these new caches.

Event caches are ok as they are only around for one day and then they are gone, but traditional or multi caches take up room which we dont want to have boxes cluttering up!

STOP PLACING CACHES

WE NEED A 6 MONTH BAN

yeh and mabye we should stop planting trees, building houses ,buying cars , having children, growing food, getting pets, putting rubish bags out for the tip , ...........Or mabye we could nock down all the triggs so we have room to walk about :blink:

yes i agree cos a tupper ware takes up soooooooooooooooooooo much room dont it

NOT :unsure:

I agree that there are alot of caches available, especially if you compare with say 2 years ago.

However, you are worried that there is not enough room.

I can't see this as a major issue because caches have proximity rules. Therefore the only issue must be that the quality places are largely used and new ones have to occupy less 'enjoyable' places. Therefore as cache numbers grow, there will be less inclination to place caches as all that are left are back alleys, or the level of ingenuity involved will increase.

The only downside that I can see is that more lame caches may occupy places that great caches could occupy.

So, rather than a 6 month break, which will only delay the inevitable, why not develop a culture where either

1. People are not embarrassed to archive a cache that is weak (but in a great place).

2. There becomes and acceptable manner for a cacher to approach another with a better proposition and a joint cache set up.

An alternative could be that, say, micro's, could require a greater level of justification than traditionals as these are the most encouraging towards proliferation. That is not to say, ban micro's, just make them more appropriate

NO NO thats not a bad idea....

I was thinking what with SO MANY new cachers appearing and maybe they'll be wanting to place caches as well, the country is going to get saturated! Therefore i reckon there should be a cut off date, up to that date any caches you have placed will have Grandfather Rights and are safe and can stay BUT after that date you'll (aimed at new cachers really) only be able to place upto a certain amount of caches...say 10 (just for arguments sake) so if you want to bring out more caches you'll have to archive some of the existing one first. Not sure how easy it would be to police though?

Lights blue touch paper..and retires to safe distance.......

Mart

Edited by pieces_of_8
NO NO thats not a bad idea....

I was thinking what with SO MANY new cachers appearing and maybe they'll be wanting to place caches as well, the country is going to get saturated! Therefore i reckon there should be a cut off date, up to that date any caches you have placed will have Grandfather Rights and are safe and can stay BUT after that date you'll (aimed at new cachers really) only be able to place upto a certain amount of caches...say 10 (just for arguments sake) so if you want to bring out more caches you'll have to archive some of the existing one first. Not sure how easy it would be to police though?

Lights blue touch paper..and retires to safe distance.......

Mart

Glad someone agrees with me!

But what would I do without 8 new caches a day to review? :(

Actually I'm surprised it's only 8, it seems a lot more than that some days. Don't worry too much about saturation, go out to the nearest place to you where there's a view and imagine how many caches you could place in the area you can see. Even at one every 0,1 miles that's an awful lot of caches.

My suggestion is to pour yourself a New Year's drink and let Eckington and I do the worrying :P;):ph34r:

well you have a break and we will enjoy this great sport/hobby

I have an event coming and i will have one out for that.

Posted by Gralorn:

"With eleven of your own out, go and play on the rollercoasters for six months"

I have placed 11 but i only have 6 active!

I am not going to give up on this, maybe you should go on a bike ride in the couuntry and then look on the map as to how many you have passed. I really dont want to be riding round the country past cache site here, cache site there, which spoils a ride

My suggestion is to pour yourself a New Year's drink and let Eckington and I do the worrying  :(  ;)  :ph34r:

No i wont go and relax!

I cant see how everyone can be so calm about this.

WE NEED A BREAK!

Fair enough, nobody can make you :P

However whether we like it or not the sport continues to grow and more and more people are taking it up. When I started there were only a couple of dozen cachers around and maybe a couple of hundred caches.

As LOCAL reviewers and experienced cachers I believe Eckington and I have a reasonable feel for the situation in the UK. I have no intention whatsoever of imposing a ban in the forseeable future.

By all means express your concerns here though.

I am not going to give up on this, maybe you should go on a bike ride in the couuntry and then look on the map as to how many you have passed. I really dont want to be riding round the country past cache site here, cache site there, which spoils a ride

I went out for one today, checked on one of my caches, rode past one which I found a while ago and then found another. Did 15 miles, got very muddy and it was great!

Have to say that riding past a cache site didn't spoil my ride, if I hadn't already found that one I wouldn't even have known it was there.

Maybe you are talking about when there are so many caches they keep getting stuck in your spokes? I can see how that would be a problem, as soon as I get a tupperware (or ammo box) stuck in my spokes then I'll join your campaign!

I promised not to Re-visit the forums but after some pleading by several cachers I have come to have a say here.

Now I believe that at present you are mainly resident in Lincolnshire. I think it would be possible to place 100 + caches in that county alone without causing a cache saturation problem.

So now to where I live, I could equally place 20 + caches here without and problem of saturation!

Now the area of the UK is 94,241 sq miles or for you modern types that equates to 244,082 sq km, I hardly find myself hitting a pile of caches ever time I step out of my front door. As for a small land mass I thought the UK was the 8th largest island on earth!

Yes there are some areas that have hundreds in a 20 mile diameter area but that hardly is a problem, the issue is maintenance, now I think I am correct that Simply Paul has 100 or more caches and that is not too much of a problem to him to maintain. So where is this issue? What is the Issue? Lathema maybe we have missed the point of this! Please can you expand on your reasoning with a rational argument.

I will place until Ecto or Lacky say we have hit the limit; Looks like Lincoln could do with a few more :ph34r:

Milton David Grimshaw

Is it really that bad, sure some caches are clumped around major cities etc.

But to put it in perspective:

The UK has a total land area of 241,590 square KM , and a coastline of 12,429KM, at the time of wiriting this there are some 8620 caches......

Assuming an even distribution of caches, thats one cache every 28 square KM, and if caches were placed on the coast only, you'd encounter a cache every 1.44KM along the coastline.

By comparison, the USA, has 68 Square KM per cache, but 0.23KM between caches if places around its perimeter.

Sure in the midlands for eaxmple there is a high density, but I've yet to really find this to be a problem.

Stuart

If you ask me Lincoln is just fine. It has not had a cache event yet (thus mine), but for its size it couldnt cope with the expansion of places such as Birmingham

Now for you information, until next week i am in Birmingham (uni hols).

atleast one person agreed with me ^ :ph34r:

If you ask me Lincoln is just fine. It has not had a cache event yet (thus mine), but for its size it couldnt cope with the expansion of places such as Birmingham

Now for you information, until next week i am in Birmingham (uni hols).

atleast one person agreed with me ^ :ph34r:

Young lathema

I lived in and around that area of the country (Lincoln) for quite a time, and I really can think of lots of places to place a cache, maybe I could place one in Boothby Graffoe (not far form Lincoln and also the name of a comedian) and dedicate it to you for this suggestion.

M D Grimshaw

I cannot believe anyone is even bothering to reply to this absurd suggestion. You obviously have had a change of heart since november 1st when you hid your last cache!!One further point have you removed your archived caches from the countryside? oops i just did reply!!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :ph34r:

Edited by tteggod trackers
I really can think of lots of places to place a cache, maybe I could place one in Boothby Graffoe

Your powers of thought are failing you, there are already two caches in or near Boothby Grafoe.

But I want to place and dedicate one to Lathema for this thread that was my point

...now I think I am correct that Simply Paul has 100 or more caches and that is not too much of a problem to him to maintain. So where is this issue?

122 (inc. 4 hidden with Dan 'Rocky' Wilson and two of The Hornet's, which I've adopted) but I *do* have problems keeping on top of them all, especially at this damp time of year. Bekandian, among others do help out though, bless them. I've archived some that I didn't feel strongly about when they've had problems in recent months, and do hope to work my way down to under 100 this year. That said, I was out looking at locations for a fun puzzle I want to place today, but didn't see a spot that was quite right that had co-ords I could use (long story).

On topic, I can't say I see a overload problem either, and I'm in one of the most densely becached areas in the UK. Numbers are not an issue. Quality, on the other hand... :ph34r::(:P

This one needs to go back to the thread creator/troll who should provide a little more reasoning why it is so important for the UK to have a cache placing ban implemented.

Saying that 'we have a small landmass' and 'the UK is too small' is not enough. Just a quick look at GeocacheUK's very useful maps for my region (Bristol) shows areas such as parts of Somerset, Devon, the Brecon Brecons and South-West Wales having a very low cache density.

Also, consider what would become of the sport/game/hobby if such a ban was implemented. If you had found all of the caches in a 50 miles radius, what would happen to your interest in the sport/game/hobby if no more caches were placed?

In my mind the 0.1 mile distance between caches also keeps a stop on cache density.

To me this looks like lathama is simply frustrated that he/she cannot place caches locally as there are so many - but that is the nature of the beast. I would love to have more (traditional :ph34r:) around where I live.

Saying that 'we have a small landmass' and 'the UK is too small' is not enough. Just a quick look at GeocacheUK's very useful maps for my region (Bristol) shows areas such as parts of Somerset, Devon, the Brecon Brecons and South-West Wales having a very low cache density.

If you do a cache density map of the area lathema is in you will see that it is almost bare, I would not be wrong in saying that the Lincolnshire area is one of the lowest cache densities in England. Shame that, as it has some great locations.

Moote D Grimshaw MIOT

Edited by Moote

Tell me, how many caches do you actually see if you are on a bike ride?

I have several caches and only one is clearly visible, and that is because the thing is a few square miles in area and is an Earthcache, all my other caches are passed daily by many none cachers and are never noticed by them.

What is the paranoia about? Pollution to the countryside? Better stop riding your bike as that activity actually expels more noxious toxins to the environment than a stationary plastic box, think about the petrochemical rubbers shedding off the bike tyres metre after metre and the synthetic oils used to lubricate causing pollution as they evaporate into the air!

Looks like we should have a bike riding ban for 6 months to save the environment from the damage it causes.

If this is your worry I think it is now in perspective.

Mooton D Grimshaw 1st laird of Monton :ph34r:

there may be 8 new caches per day, but I bet FAR more are either archeived or suspended per day???

Lacto / Eckington, can you confirm??

PLUS... as Rutson says - "Place it - they will come...."

If people DON'T come to the caches, THEN we can say - enough is enough, but whilst people are still keen, we SHOULD keep placing!!

This has got to be a New Year windup! I think the clue is in the quote above. Unless Lathama is in a region where they make caches easier by using flashing neon signs above them, I don't think cycling past them is likely to cause too much distress!

there may be 8 new caches per day, but I bet FAR more are either archeived or suspended per day???

Lacto / Eckington, can you confirm??

PLUS... as Rutson says - "Place it - they will come...."

If people DON'T come to the caches, THEN we can say - enough is enough, but whilst people are still keen, we SHOULD keep placing!!

So far today I have published 20 caches, archived 3 and put 10 on temporary hold while sorting out "stuff" that ought to have been put in a Note to Reviewer.

Mind you, I'm guessing this is an unusually high volume as it's a holiday (at least I HOPE it's unusual! :ph34r::(

I'm sure Eckington has also done a load today as well.

I'm sure Eckington has also done a load today as well.

...er....um...well...actually no, I've been a little erm indosposed today, and only published 10 :(:P;):P

However, for the record, in December I published 179 caches and archived 18 for various reasons, I also posted 143 mails on cache realted matters and recieved 169.

As for cache saturation I think it will be very many years before our little island sinks under the weight of tupperware, ammo boxes and 35mm film canisters :ph34r: