Controls And Who Has The Right

markandlynn

What controls are in place to prevent individuals or groups seeking to make profit by creating coins for other countries or people.

At present i see no rules to stop an individual having a markandlynn, Italy, Shropshire coin or any other coin they want to have made.

Are there any rules or is it first come first served ?? and what do other people think ??

What do I think? Well, there's clearly nothing stopping people from making coins for places they don't go to/live in/etc and it's already happened. I don't know exactly who all is making a profit, but I know some are. I would love to see a rule that stops people from making coins for places they really have nothing to do with at present.

Until you mentioned it just now I've never heard mention of someone making someone elses personal coin. Aside from being a stupid thing to do I'm sure that would result in the person basically shooting themselves in the foot. I know I'd lose all respect for them.

on your marks...

get set...

and a big GO to my new moun10bike version 4!

they will be numbered and trackable at gc.com

they will also be the size and shape of a full sized mt. bike for all you "purists"

did i mention it'll have working parts on it too?

how cool is that a geocoin that actually provides a service!

these will be $500.00 apiece but will be limited to quantiies of 50 with a LE hot pink version of which only 15 will be made and they will run $1500.00

Edited by bikinibottomfeeders
Hi...my name is George Bush and I am making a personal coin.  My good friend Arlsdaddy will be selling them.  Thank you.  ---Dubya  :unsure:  :blink:

will these come pre-bullet holed or do we have to shoot the coins ourselves? I mean... LOL

These coins will be Kevlar-coated. They will not be "pre-shot" as "someone" may not be bright enough to know how to operate such an apperatus....

alfredwbush.jpg

Edited by Chaos A.D./aka Arlsdaddy
I don't really see how this could be a rule...

If Groundspeak wasn't so quick to accept money for tracking numbers that would be a perfect first step.

I did not think about that....that might help. But companies other than Groundspeak are selling the numbers, so it might slow the coins but would not stop them.

Groundspeak can always delete the numbers from their system, and they always have to approve the coins tracking numbers go on. All it would take is a little background checking.

... there's clearly nothing stopping people from making coins for places they don't go to/live in/etc and it's already happened. I don't know exactly who all is making a profit, but I know some are. I would love to see a rule that stops people from making coins for places they really have nothing to do with at present.

Try to imagine how such a "rule" would work. Who would enforce it? How? Why? :unsure:

What would be the rationale for such a rule? If I want to make a Martian coin, who am I hurting or even inconveniencing? :blink:

If Groundspeak wasn't so quick to accept money for tracking numbers that would be a perfect first step.

I did not think about that....that might help. But companies other than Groundspeak are selling the numbers, so it might slow the coins but would not stop them.

Groundspeak can always delete the numbers from their system, and they always have to approve the coins tracking numbers go on. All it would take is a little background checking.

Back groud check? :ph34r::(:P

Please tell me you are joking!

one of the screening questions will be

Have you ever been convicted of making money on geocoins?

Seriously what would be the criteria?

I think it's fine for anyone to make any sort of non-GC trackable coin they wish so long as it doesn't violate any intellectual property rights or generally isn't in poor taste. What I do wish is that Groundspeak would bring a little more order to the production of coins that have unique icons since those are effectively game pieces. I would hope Groundspeak would make some rules that would give all participants a fair chance to get trackable coins with unique icons so people don't get a chance to monopolize those icons and gouge other participants interested in getting them. The game loses a lot of it's appeal that way I think.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that things like Jeeps or the new volunteer coins be offered to the public. Nor do I see a problem if someone wants to have a special coin made and activate them all in his or her account.

We already have adequate controls in place, if it's a bogus coin you can ignore it and save your money for a better one. I think these forums do a pretty good job of unmasking the questionable ones.

This is really no different than going into a gift shop in San Fransisco and seeing all the garbage being offered with an "I (heart) SF" sticker slapped on them. Anyone can make anything as long as there are buyers. Usually the best stuff wins out and commands the highest price.

Sure the (insert South American country name here) coin is pointless. I traded for one anyway because I liked the look (and partly because it is SO pointless it's funny). But I don't see it going for a fortune on e***, probably because most people see it for what it is.

Bottom line is no-one is going to get rich off these if we don't let them.

Edited by workerofwood

WoW's comments are right on.

We, as buyers, will ultimately determine which coins are acceptable and which are not.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen for a while. Anybody putting out a coin right now in a limited amount (say, 300) is almost guaranteed to sell out as some have to have EVERY coin out there and will continue to purchase them, thus rewarding the behavior.

If you want to 'vote' - use your wallet and eventually others will do the same.

Life needs more fun and less rules.

What would it matter if someone whose only connection to Italy is dringing cheap Chianti decides they want to make an Italy coin? People who one the copywrite to certain names and images have means of enforcing them. People who don't don't. Why would we need more rules than that?

It's a free market. If I want to mint a South Carolina geocoin, I can do so. If my version of the South Carolina coin turns out to be more in demand because it's more beautiful, unique etc., than the "official" South Carolina coin, should the fact that I've never even set foot in that state somehow 'disqualify' it?

Then again, how would I feel if someone minted their own "lowracer" coin and made a profit off it?

Interesting discussion, I'm going to get out my popcorn.

:ph34r:

The coins we are having made is by a reliable comapny who has to run everythings by GC.com before it's a go; so I am sure other companies must follow the same stipulations.

As for the history behind our coin is that both my husband and I are Irish. No we have never been to Ireland, nor has our parents or even our grandparents. We're just proud to show off our strong heritage.

Lastly the reason for the "advertisement" is because many of the coins can not be purchased from the seller but from the actual company. As for the profits, no profit is made ~ the "profits" go to the costs that the seller must pay so the buyer can buy...! (?)

I don't think the companies providing the tracking numbers in smaller quantities would be stupid enough to risk their relationship with grounspeak in obtaining numbers by knowingly let someone other than the person who uses the handle mint the coin. I'm sure grounspeak would be quick to revoke their arrangements and cancel any numbers in the manufacturere possession if they got wind of them being used improperly.

Back groud check? :ph34r::(:P

All I mean is checking to see that the person really represents the state/country/cacher/etc that they're making a coin for.

Back groud check?  :ph34r:  :(  :P

All I mean is checking to see that the person really represents the state/country/cacher/etc that they're making a coin for.

How would you do that? I mean that sincerely... we've run into similar issues locally and not yet answered that. Who has authority to represent a state? California has many Cacher organizations, and I don't know that any of them was officially involved in our coin. Would the test be a public discussion of the proposed coin? From a design standpoint, I think a coin designed by a few talented folks would turn out better than some of the committee efforts of the past. I was sort of upset at the SF coin that was released, with no local input, but it looks nice, and no-one else has done one.

And how do we do that????

I live in Colorado. Does that make me the Representative of the state of Colorado? I was born in NJ. Does that make me the Representative of the state of NJ?

How is anyone going to tell who represents a state?

If it was up to me, and this is just what I think, the person making a coin for a state or country should live there currently. If you lived there 10 years ago it doesn't matter. As far as who from a state/country is qualified to make the coin I have no opinions. I just think that unless you're a current resident of someplace you have no reason to be making something that represents it. I know some people will be displeased about me saying this, but I'm not going to bicker back and forth about it. To me it's like buying an American flag that was made in China. I want no part of it.

That's the million dollar question. ;) I don't think anyone knows for sure, but for me a persons current residence means a lot.

That's the million dollar question. ;) I don't think anyone knows for sure, but for me a persons current residence means a lot.

There is an old trick in Corporate America. We assign the Guy that brought up the question to finding the answers. So lets hear your ideas. Personally I don't care who makes a coin. People will either buy it it not. I would not expect Groundspeak to start doing background checks on who the person is. Sounds like a restriction of Fair trade at the least.

I already said current residence means a lot to me. You're reading into background check way too much, as well. I couldn't care less who the person is, only where they're from. I should have said residence check or something along those lines. How about this. Bob wants to make an Australia coin, but a quick look at his profile shows he lives in the United States. Sorry Bob, but you're not going to be getting any tracking numbers.

It's a free market. If I want to mint a South Carolina geocoin, I can do so. If my version of the South Carolina coin turns out to be more in demand because it's more beautiful, unique etc., than the "official" South Carolina coin, should the fact that I've never even set foot in that state somehow 'disqualify' it?

Then again, how would I feel if someone minted their own "lowracer" coin and made a profit off it?

:D

Get 'em while they're hot!

hjcoin.jpg

It's a free market.  If I want to mint a South Carolina geocoin, I can do so.  If my version of the South Carolina coin turns out to be more in demand because it's more beautiful, unique etc., than the "official" South Carolina coin, should the fact that I've never even set foot in that state somehow 'disqualify' it?

Get 'em while they're hot!

hjcoin.jpg

:D:D:D

I didnt think you liked Popcorn. Or was that ice cream? :D

I asked this very question before and never got an answer.

IMO state coins should be issued primarily by organizations in that state. Personal coins should be issued by that particular individual. It should not be that hard (on GC.com at least) to regulate this. Verifying an organization should be fairly easy and personal coins should be tied to an account on here (not sure how Terracaching and Travelertags work together but they might be able to do the same). It's when you would try and regulate it outside of here that you run into problems.

IMO state coins should be issued primarily by organizations in that state. Personal coins should be issued by that particular individual. It should not be that hard (on GC.com at least) to regulate this. Verifying an organization should be fairly easy and personal coins should be tied to an account on here (not sure how Terracaching and Travelertags work together but they might be able to do the same). It's when you would try and regulate it outside of here that you run into problems.

I'm not sure I understand why. Certainly, for simple "golden rule" reasons, if a state has an organization working on a coin, they should be left to work it out. (Even if they are struggling through minutea as appears to be the case in Florida.) But other than deffering to such organizations, why shouldn't anyone willing to front the money, time and effort do a coin and who is anyone else to say they shouldn't?

I'm not sure I understand why. Certainly, for simple "golden rule" reasons, if a state has an organization working on a coin, they should be left to work it out. (Even if they are struggling through minutea as appears to be the case in Florida.) But other than deffering to such organizations, why shouldn't anyone willing to front the money, time and effort do a coin and who is anyone else to say they shouldn't?

IMO because an organization represents more than just one individual. I'd much rather see a group put any profit to use rather than have it just going into an individuals pocket. If there are no organizations, or they are not interested in putting a coin out, someone could always make a 'xxxcachers state geocoin'. Indeed, they could also do it in cases where an organization is going to/has already issued one.