New Garmin Cx Models

Cowboy59

Well, all I can say is that many years ago while in a meeteing with a garmin rep. I made the suggetions to Garmin re the use of an off the shelf memory card. When I saw the rep about 6 months later he said a GPS with an SD card was less than a year away, that was about 4 years ago. I guess it takes Garmin world 1460 days to circle the sun :)

That would place Garmin out among the asteroids, beyond the orbit of Mars.

I wished the GPS units were a little better constructed.

Seemed like my eTrex vista was so much more polarized than my Map60C, that my Vista would flake out when held at the wrong angle.

I like the shape of the etrex that can sit on the dashboard, and find that the Map60C does not like to sit on my dashboard, even with it's beanbag mount, since it stands up so high off the dashboard.

I like the idea of the Quest II for use on the dashboard, and the Explorist XL for everything else.

Geoff

When I saw the rep about 6 months later he said a GPS with an SD card was less than a year away, that was about 4 years ago.

i can see that hardware update would take a while to implement and certify. but for firm-/soft- ware, i don't necessarily see why it would be tough to get these suggested features happening on a faster cycle. it would be coolest if they'd "open" their architecture so we coders could write our own add-on modules and enhancements. this is the same model used in firefox to let users write their own extensions. just brainstorming.

Edited by 4MLA1FN
When I saw the rep about 6 months later he said a GPS with an SD card was less than a year away, that was about 4 years ago.

i can see that hardware update would take a while to implement and certify. but for firm-/soft- ware, i don't necessarily see why it would be tough to get these suggested features happening on a faster cycle. it would be coolest if they'd "open" their architecture so we coders could write our own add-on modules and enhancements. this is the same model used in firefox to let users write their own extensions. just brainstorming.

My guess is the Garmin like many companies is run by Bean counters that really have no idea what products will sell. It could be that the bean counters want to see an increase in sales on the 60s and 76s before they go along with the investment in new frimware. I have had to deal with bean counters in the past and I am dealing with them on my new job.

Well, all I can say is that many years ago while in a meeteing with a garmin rep. I made the suggetions to Garmin re the use of an off the shelf memory card. When I saw the rep about 6 months later he said a GPS with an SD card was less than a year away, that was about 4 years ago. I guess it takes Garmin world 1460 days to circle the sun

heh heh - I'm glad Garmin didn't come out with their first units during reel-to-reel tape days. The 60CSx would have finally have an 8-Track installed in it.

I would suggest e-mailing that information to Garmin.  As our Geocaching community grows larger by the day.  Acknowledging our wants, wishes and desires in a GPS unit is what they must do in order to compeat with the compitition.  If you suggest it they seem to be very receptive.  If we do not tell them what we want they wont know. 

Send them an e-mail.  We all have to tell them what we want.

Email sent to Garmin, thanks for the suggestion CacheKicker.