Etrex Vista C / Ms Streets And Trips

wilkintj

Does anyone know how to use a Vista C with Streets and Trips? When I'm in streets and trips and try to configure the GPS (which I have plugged in) it appears to only search for the GPS on COM ports and since the GPS is plugged into a USB port with the USB cable it came with, it doesn't show up in the list. Has anyone else experienced this problem and gotten around it? Thank you much.

Does anyone know how to use a Vista C with Streets and Trips?  When I'm in streets and trips and try to configure the GPS (which I have plugged in) it appears to only search for the GPS on COM ports and since the GPS is plugged into a USB port with the USB cable it came with, it doesn't show up in the list.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and gotten around it?  Thank you much.

Garmin's GPS like the VistaC or LegendC etc. are not compatible with S&T.

Edited by Nomade
Has anyone else experienced this problem and gotten around it?

I personally don't have the problem because my GPSr is a serial model, but you could try this as a workaround:

There is a program called Franson GPSGate. (Just Google it and you should be able to find it.) It should let you specify your USB GPS as the "source" and then output it to a virtual COM port which S&T will then see.

I used to use it to take my one physical port (COM1) and output it into two virtual COM ports. I could then have Mapsource use the GPS on one of the virtual ports and S&T use the GPS on the other virtual port. That doesn't work anymore because the latest version of Mapsource removed real-time tracking and nRoute only recognizes Garmin's format which S&T then can't see. In the "old" days I could set the GPSr to NMEA which both S&T and Mapsource could read.

Anyway, that's off topic, just my rant! I think you should be able to download a trial of GPSGate and if it solves your problem before spending $$$ on it.