Gps Fix?

icefall5

Should I have a position fix on my GPS when entering waypoints? I have found a couple caches that I plotted with a fix, but I found some with an easy rating and I marked them without a fix, and I can't find them anywhere. That was a long sentence ;). So, shortly, should I have a position fix when I'm entering waypoints?

Edited by icefall5

**EDIT** THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO GO RIGHT AFTER THE FIRST REPLY, BUT THOT GOT THERE FIRST ;)

Yes, I know that.

When I first boot up my GPS, it will say "Finding Satellites

Tracking #"

Once it has located enough satellites to get my location and all that other info, it says either "2D Position Fix" or "3D Position Fix". Should I wait for it to say one of those two first? Or can I just punch in the coords? If it helps, I have a Magellan eXplorist 200.

Edited by icefall5
**EDIT** THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO GO RIGHT AFTER THE FIRST REPLY, BUT THOT GOT THERE FIRST ;)

Yes, I know that.

When I first boot up my GPS, it will say "Finding Satellites

Tracking #"

Once it has located enough satellites to get my location and all that other info, it says either "2D Position Fix" or "3D Position Fix". Should I wait for it to say one of those two first? Or can I just punch in the coords? If it helps, I have a Magellan eXplorist 200.

It doesn't matter when you're entering coordinates whether or not it has a fix. Obviously, you need one for th GPS to indicate where you need to go.

It doesn't matter when you're entering coordinates whether or not it has a fix. Obviously, you need one for th GPS to indicate where you need to go.
If it has a fix...punch in the coords and happy hunting. El Diablo

So, which one is it?

You don't need a fix to enter the coords, you need a fix to find the coords.

El Diablo

Indeed, no need to feel that way at all...

The few few are the most challenging, I think. It seems to get MUCH easier after about the 10th find or so. You might want to read the cache page and the online logs to see if you can get any clues from things people say about the cache. Another thing that helps is if the owner says on the page what kind of container you are looking for. It is easier to find a 35mm film container if you know that is what you are looking for.

Most new cachers try too hard to get the GPS to read zero. Just get as close as you can, and then look around for a good place to hide something where most people wouldn't see it unless they were looking for it. You might have to reach under something, behind something, inside something, etc. You shouldn't have to rearrange flowers or do anything else that might permanently ruin the area--so most caches are "just" out of sight.