Ammo Can In Airplane Luggage?

Thrasher22

I say, put a Geocache sticker on the side, print off the Congrats you found it sheet, put it in your luggage and let them find the cache!

I can picture the cache description:

"This cache is a moving cache. It can only be found by customs officers. At the airport, look for a suspicious-looking person traveling to Slovakia carrying overweight luggage. Use an x-ray machine to scan the luggage for the cache. Please sign the log book and replace the cache as you found it. Do not place any metal trade items inside. Watch out for muggle-colleagues.

attributes: parking available, public transport available, wheelchair accessible, public restrooms and telephone nearby, stealth required."

I carry a roofing torch in my checked bag occasionally. It has trace amounts of propane in it that I cannot get out. I have never been hassled about it, though they do give the funny looks of "why does this guy have a flame thrower with him".

Make sure you slide the top off of the ammo box so it is open. That will help.

I shipped three ammo cans last November.

Austin > Chicago > Manchester.

no problems.

alex.

you are lucky.

In England there are all weapons prohibit. Because of this every kind of ammo is prohibit too.

If they find weapons or ammo you are in big trouble.

And for them an knive is allready an prohibit weapon.

I wounld't take this risk.

you are lucky.

In England there are all weapons prohibit. Because of this every kind of ammo is prohibit too.

If they find weapons or ammo you are in big trouble.

And for them an knive is allready an prohibit weapon.

I wounld't take this risk.

You'll never get in trouble for packing an empty ammo can. It is not a weapon; its a box.

You'll never get in trouble for packing an empty ammo can. It is not a weapon; its a box.

Especially if you show it to the people at the airport, open it and explain what it is. They are going to be naturally curious (and cautious) about it. Once they see that it is simply and empty box, you shouldn't have any issues.

Doc

Prior to 9-11, I traveled and taught tactical assessment to military EMS folks. In my checked baggage would be 3 inert grenades and a half dozen fixed blade knives and assorted "bad guy tools". NOPE, NOT anymore. I was pulled out of line in November '01 for, gasp, handcuffs in my carry-on baggage. needless to say, I was searched thoroughly. (there is a reason non law enforcement officers can't carry them)

Having been an Air Force cop traveling on Official US Government business, and my cuffs were in my tactical vest, I was a tad embarrassed. I fantasized that as i was getting searched, the guys from MAD magazine, Spy vs Spy were getting thru.

My morale to the story is, if you have it, be prepared to answer questions, smile, be cooperative. If not, the sound of a latex glove snapping on the inspectors hand is a chilling sound. Have some geocaching written materials with you. You might get the "deer in the headlights look" but arm yourself with an explanation.

Use mono-syllables if at all possible and don't "crack wise". Some TSA folks aren't the brightest, but they take their job very seriously. Low pay, high stress, makes for good morale. :unsure:

Edited by Savoy 6

I can tell you from experience that they are able to pick up the slightest trace of explosive residue. I had been out shooting one weekend and touched my laptop before washing my hands. The following monday when I went through security I was stopped and questioned about why my laptop had residue on it. They wanted to know where it had been and why. I was beginning to wonder if they were going to dismantle it, when I remembered what I had been doing that weekend. You just never know with TSA. :unsure:

When I flew to GW3 I had two ammo cans filled with golf balls in my luggae. I told the airport screener about them and he didn't care at all. He did ask me out of curiosity why I was storing golf balls in ammo cans though. When I said it was a joke gift for someone and sort of explained caching, he said "I have a weird friend who does that caching thing." Then he sent me on my merry way.

Ammo cans full of golf balls make your luggage really noisy BTW.

Although there is probably no "official" problem with it, it may raise suspicions.

I did take a plastic ammo box to Europe one without problem. They are a little more expensive, but well worth it in terms of avoiding hassle.

Take a look at the newest posts. The travel is completed. He had no problems. Its just a box.

Being someone who flies quite often, and who is trained in explosives, I would advise against. Airports now have security devices that ''smell'' explosives and explosives residue. And you might encounter a four legged animal trained to sniff them out as well. Now ammo cans aren't normally used to carry high explosives but the propellant in small arms ammo might turn your departure into a nghtmare of body cavity searches. If you really want to bring them with you, call the airport and inquire about it. You could also try your local police bomb squad or army base, and ask to have it certified ''free from explosives''.

But I would go with tupperwares:)

Frank

I have to agree with Evil Homer as the dogs are able to sniff out nitrates used in explodives and any ammo can can have some residue. Beside tupperware is lighter. Or did you get a deal at the Army Surplus near grandma's house????

cheers

I have to agree with Evil Homer as the dogs are able to sniff out nitrates used in explodives and any ammo can can have some residue. Beside tupperware is lighter. Or did you get a deal at the Army Surplus near grandma's house????

cheers

Its not really a dog thing. Most bags get swabbed so a machine can tell if they have explosive residue on them. The fact is, many bags do have such a residue for any number of reasons. A positive result on this test merely results in closer study of the xray and a hand search. Once it is determined that your bag doesn't contain banned items, it will be sent on its way.

Being someone who flies quite often, and who is trained in explosives, I would advise against. Airports now have security devices that ''smell'' explosives and explosives residue. And you might encounter a four legged animal trained to sniff them out as well. Now ammo cans aren't normally used to carry high explosives but the propellant in small arms ammo might turn your departure into a nghtmare of body cavity searches. If you really want to bring them with you, call the airport and inquire about it. You could also try your local police bomb squad or army base, and ask to have it certified ''free from explosives''.

But I would go with tupperwares:)

Frank

This is the only real issue.

The ammo can itself is harmless. The residue could cause a delay that you may or may not have time for. Night Stalker has been flagged before for having gunpowder residue. He had been shooting recently enough to where the flasbhack (insert fancy CSI Term ) or whatever they call it, was picked up. He was then given 'the treatment'.

Sheesh, and how do grown men come out sniping so? Newbie asks.

My advice, sticker as a recreational item and check your luggage.

Even if ya go through an airport where everyone goes thru your luggage, eastern europe, and those u.n. guys or civpol ;) , shirley someone there has heard of geocaching.

get a grip guys :lol: